• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Centaur a day...Funny Picture Stories 2/5 upgrade
4 4

1,275 posts in this topic

Yes, that is one whacky cover.  The Clock appears on 2 whole pages also, I think. Better deal is a Funny Picture Stories #1 , Clock story and cover. I'm biased, I own one.:bigsmile:

6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Funny Pages 6

with this issue the title officially changes 

still published by Comics Magazine (1936 centaur didn't "exist" per se)

This issue is most noted for having the first masked superhero , The Clock

IMG_4493.JPG

Yeah the first time I ever saw this i though WHOA!!! That is strange!! Owl is cool though...and come on Brian O'Brien that's just a sweet name!!

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Funny Pages 7

i really like blue dominant covers

IMG_4495.JPG

Cool book Rick don't recall seeing this one I like er'. I'm sure if this book was predominately Orange and Blue it would really tickle your fancy!! 

22 hours ago, PUNYHUMAN said:

Yes, that is one whacky cover.  The Clock appears on 2 whole pages also, I think. Better deal is a Funny Picture Stories #1 , Clock story and cover. I'm biased, I own one.:bigsmile:

Has there been any determination yet as to which one of these books hit the newsstand first, as they both have the exact same November 1936 cover date?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Has there been any determination yet as to which one of these books hit the newsstand first, as they both have the exact same November 1936 cover date?  hm

Fps1 was on sale sept 18,1936

fumny Pages was estimated oct 1,1936

Edited by G.A.tor

27 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

That's interesting info Rick.  Doesn't Funny Pages 6 have the earlier Clock story?  If I recall correctly, that was the reason some folks thought FP 6 preceded FPS 1.

44 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

That's interesting info Rick.  Doesn't Funny Pages 6 have the earlier Clock story?  If I recall correctly, that was the reason some folks thought FP 6 preceded FPS 1.

It's possible the fp6 six did proceed but we only have firm date on the fps1...

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
4 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

It's possible the fp6 six did proceed but we only have firm date on the fps1...

Well, it's quite possible that it could simply be the old "print and conceived" scenario versus actual distribution date, similar to what happened with the Sandman's "first appearance" in Adventure 40 and NYWF's 1939.  (shrug)

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it's quite possible that it could simply be the old "print and conceived" scenario versus actual distribution date, similar to what happened with the Sandman's "first appearance" in Adventure 40 and NYWF's 1939.  (shrug)

Sure could 

1 hour ago, Moondog said:

I bought the artist's copy of this book from his nephew.  It was Yuknis' only cover.  There was no original art in the family archive...

Cool

8 hours ago, sacentaur said:
10 hours ago, Moondog said:

I bought the artist's copy of this book from his nephew.  It was Yuknis' only cover.  

Now residing in my collection, many thanks again Gary! (thumbsu

That's got to be a very neat piece. 

On 3/12/2017 at 3:05 PM, G.A.tor said:

that would be the complete opposite of everything we were taught thru Overstreet.

I've always loved FPS 1.