• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Centaur a day...Funny Picture Stories 2/5 upgrade
4 4

1,275 posts in this topic

Gator/Rick,

I think an intro. on what got you started/interested in collecting them and doing a complete collection of them as an undertaking would be a great start to the thread.

I seem to remember you were a Batman fan/collector among other things so I'd be interested how you got from there to here.

My first golden age run I ever attempted was action 1 up (by 1989 I had completed the entire super hero silver age). This was 1990. By 1992 I started batman 1 up. In 1995 my toy import / distribution company (new force) needed a cash injection and I sold my action and batman run (as well as all the gold and silver keys I had) in order to fund my company.

By 2004 I had made enough money in the action figure market that I was able to start collecting ga comics again. Started with D.C. Detective 27 up, batman 1 up, superman 1 up, ww 1 up etc. by 2006 I was done (internet , conventions and enough money made it relatively easy).

So, after spending a weekend at straw-man's house in 2006 , I decided to expand to timelys. By 2008 I had marvel 1 up, cap 1 up, etc.

Worked on fox main titles along the way (weird, science, mystery men, wonderworld, fantastic etc) and discovered that many of the later (somewhat less desirable issues) were "tough" to locate. Internet, conventions and money didn't always get the job done. I found the challenge "exciting " and motivating

So, in 2008 I visited centaurmans house and was taken back by the centaur publisher ...not only were these books a serious challenge to collect, but the content was fantastic (Everett, wolverton, Gustafson , biro , mills, Kane, etc etc). Many of the industries artistic pioneers were featured on and between the covers.

So that started the centaur fascination... by late 2010 I had about 200 of them In my possession...2 years was usually all it took for me to complete a goal (I remember talking with Michelle Nolan about my catman run...she assumed it had taken me years to complete...nope, took 6 months as a comparison....mentioned I was onto centaurs....she said tell her in 10 years how far id gotten lol ). not this time. I was still missing more than 20% and had no leads...frustration (patience is not a collecting virtue of mine) set in...i "gave up" basically. Sold about 180 of the 200 ish and kept my favorites.

Always regretted selling. But it was too late. I couldn't fix now.

Fast forward to late 2012 and Boot contacted me with a nice cache of centaurs he was considering selling ... a plane trip and visit to his house and the bank and l was "back!"

Determined this time not to give up I decided I was going to see the run through ...and 4 years later, I pretty much have (there are at least a dozen copies I'd like to upgrade for one reason or another and one is missing bc and one the interior is incomplete), but I've in my mind, have finally accomplished what I didn't before.

I owe a tremendous amount of gratitude to a multitude of boardies and collectors and dealers and friends that have assisted me this time around. Many parting with books out of their collections to help me see this to fruition. A big thanks and kudos...not possible without generous help!

Stay tuned for each and every issue and what backstory for each (if any) I can recall.

While I certainly expect this to be fun, bear in mind it will not be high grade pedigree after hg pedigree posted. Lots of fr/gd to vg coming up with occasional attractive specimen !

While I certainly expect this to be fun, bear in mind it will not be high grade pedigree after hg pedigree posted. Lots of fr/gd to vg coming up with occasional attractive specimen !

Saving that for next year at this time? hm

Oh, well never mind, then.

:kidaround:

Did you ever finish or still one or two short?
its done. A few I'm in need of upgrades but have "an" example of all (also 2 are incomplete I believe)

WOW! :o This is big news! Big Congrats! Can't wait to see them all! Great job! :applause::headbang::applause:

Did you ever finish or still one or two short?
its done. A few I'm in need of upgrades but have "an" example of all (also 2 are incomplete I believe)

WOW! :o This is big news! Big Congrats! Can't wait to see them all! Great job! :applause::headbang::applause:

well, it's kind of your fault lol