• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Centaur a day...Funny Picture Stories 2/5 upgrade
4 4

1,275 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2017 at 10:35 AM, sacentaur said:
On 8/18/2017 at 7:26 AM, G.A.tor said:

Western Picture Stories 4

maybe this was bring your kid to work day and Buresch had his kid draw the cover?

IMG_5345.JPG

Just awful, yet still interesting (in an Ed Wood Jr. kind of way).

I've always thought this cover was amateurish compared with the other issues in the run, but in a previous discussion someone suggested that it might have been an attempt to ape Roy Crane's style. 

On 9/2/2017 at 7:43 AM, G.A.tor said:

Next upgrade was actually duplicated 

when the heritage auction began I put tracking bids on the amf books. The next week I went to sdcc and bought a copy of 1/3 that was in the 7.0 range. Then, low and behold I win this copy!

IMG_5477.PNG

One of my favorites.  Never been quite willing to mannup enough to get a nice copy.

3 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Agreed - FP 4/1 edges FP 40 as far as scarcity (both books are equally super-cool!).

What's interesting is that when I was putting my run together I found 4/1 to be readily available.  40 & 41 were virtually impossible.  Now I never see 4/1 and 40 & 41 are turning up with regularity.  

4 hours ago, buttock said:

What's interesting is that when I was putting my run together I found 4/1 to be readily available.  40 & 41 were virtually impossible.  Now I never see 4/1 and 40 & 41 are turning up with regularity.  

I found one 4-1 in 2008, and the one I have now (2014). 

I found no fp40 from 2008-2014, but have owned 3 since 2014 and there have been several other at auction and 2 more coming to auction later this year

On 4/28/2017 at 7:06 AM, G.A.tor said:

Funny Picture Stories 2/5

This was one of the last 2 books I needed to complete the publisher. My first go around I had a copy but this time this book proved to be a difficult acquisition 

thanks to a buddy who helped me procure, as he had owned the book for about a dozen years before he was willing to part to me for the cause  

IMG_4739.JPG

Because this was near the end of my journey, took opp for little upgrade (book is too ten tough)

IMG_5491.PNG

On 5/11/2017 at 7:45 AM, G.A.tor said:

Funny Picture Stories nn 

Bonus day. This promo was used for a laundromat give away 

IMG_4912.JPG

Since there are only 3 known? Copies found in the Lloyd jacquet estate , figured why not have a couple of them

IMG_5490.PNG

Edited by G.A.tor

On 9/6/2017 at 3:02 AM, G.A.tor said:
On 3/18/2017 at 4:57 AM, G.A.tor said:

Funny Pages 2/2

Another really difficult comic to locate 

IMG_4505.JPG

Another book I wasn't actively trying to upgrade , but why not. 

IMG_5482.PNG

Like Gator had already said, it's either feast or famine with a lot of these HTF Centaur books.

Looks like it's been a relative feast lately with the Jon Berk 6.5 copy that sold for $1,655 which was then followed by another CGC 6.5 graded copy that sold for $1,450 in the just completed CC auction. 

On 9/11/2017 at 6:17 AM, G.A.tor said:

Because this was near the end of my journey, took opp for little upgrade (book is too ten tough)

IMG_5491.PNG

Never knew this issue was so tough to find, but maybe it is as there's only 3 copies listed in the CGC census.

I managed to pick my mid grade copy up from Harley several years ago for not that many dollars.  :whee: