• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Centaur a day...Funny Picture Stories 2/5 upgrade
4 4

1,275 posts in this topic

"Funny Pages"- Comics Magazine 1

1936. Started what would eventually become the longest centaur title 

has  Siegel and shuster contribution years before ...you know.

Owned the cgc 1.5 lost valley copy years ago. Happily snagged this copy from a boardie a few years ago. 

Tough book. 

IMG_4464.JPG

Edited by G.A.tor

"Funny Pages" (Comics Magazine ) 2

Lost Valley 

So first go around I was fortunate enough to procure the lost valley copies of comic mag 1-5. Sold them off in my first purge. A great boardie was kind enough to sell me the 2-5 back this summer (allowing another collector to get my 2-5 in one shot!)

IMG_4465.JPG

29 minutes ago, archiefan said:

These are great!! I wonder why the Lost Valley #1 was only a 1.5 compared to the much higher grade #2 and #3

Spine was split I believe

On 3/7/2017 at 4:25 AM, G.A.tor said:

So first go around I was fortunate enough to procure the lost valley copies of comic mag 1-5. Sold them off in my first purge. A great boardie was kind enough to sell me the 2-5 back this summer (allowing another collector to get my 2-5 in one shot!)

Which one of these early Funny Pages do you believe is the toughest to find? 

Or are none of the Funny Pages really that tough to find since that is one of the major Centaur flagship titles?  hm

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Which one of these early Funny Pages do you believe is the toughest to find? 

Or are none of the Funny Pages really that tough to find since that is one of the major Centaur flagship titles?  hm

They are all super tough 

3&4 toughest. Then 2&5. 1 is tough but occasionally you can find one in the market for sale 

I agree with rick on The Comics Magazine (Funny Pages) from toughest to easiest (relatively speaking, they're all scarce) - #3 and #4 are the toughest, followed by #2, then #5, and finally #1.

I have the set sans #1 (haven't found the right copy yet), the books are crude but they hold a fascination for me because the hobby was just learning to crawl back in 1936.

2 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

I have the set sans #1 (haven't found the right copy yet), the books are crude but they hold a fascination for me because the hobby was just learning to crawl back in 1936.

+1

Yes, indeed!  (thumbsu

For me, every single year before 1938 just seem like so much more than a year.  Owing a book from 1936 just felt more like a decade away  from a 1937 book.  And a book from 1935 just seem like something really special and different to hold in your hands.  :cloud9:

1 hour ago, PUNYHUMAN said:

Awesome books. I'm really enjoying this show.

The dialog is stiff and the plot lacks subtext but I would still give it two thumbs up!

5 hours ago, adamstrange said:

The dialog is stiff and the plot lacks subtext but I would still give it two thumbs up!

I wish there were more cool stories to coincide. Typically I needed an issue , I procured the issue and that's that lol

many boardies have graciously assisted in my procurement. 

Funny Pages 6

with this issue the title officially changes 

still published by Comics Magazine (1936 centaur didn't "exist" per se)

This issue is most noted for having the first masked superhero , The Clock

IMG_4493.JPG

Edited by G.A.tor