• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Centaur a day...Funny Picture Stories 2/5 upgrade
4 4

1,275 posts in this topic

Super Spy 2

i would consider this one of the rarest centaurs too...but if one has paid attention there have  been 2 copies available in the past month....the Berk copy and the heritage copy ... so perception and timing is everything 

IMG_5340.JPG

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Super Spy 2

i would consider this one of the rarest centaurs too...but if one has paid attention there have  been 2 copies available in the past month....the Berk copy and the heritage copy ... so perception and timing is everything 

IMG_5340.JPG

VERY COOL!!! Had never seen it until recently as you had stated from the 2 auctions. Would look neat sitting' an AMAN 19 IMO. 

Uncle Joe's Funnies 1

Bill Everett cover

a few days ago mentioned wasn't sure why stars and stripes started at 2, this book is the only one I've heard speculated that the numbering could have been continued from...though no idea if true or even probable

IMG_5341.JPG

Edited by G.A.tor

24 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Uncle Joe's Funnies 1

Bill Everett cover

a few days ago mentioned wasn't sure why stars and stripes started at 2, this book is the only one I've heard speculated that the numbering could have been continued from...though no idea if true or even probable

That is one I have not seen before and such a far cry from what I have become accustomed to with the great Bill Everrett (not that this is bad at all).  Great book and copy from 1938.  

4 hours ago, telerites said:

That is one I have not seen before and such a far cry from what I have become accustomed to with the great Bill Everrett (not that this is bad at all).  Great book and copy from 1938.  

I was going to comment much the same! Even after pouring thru the Photo Journals for years, one can still miss books. Now I'm curious to what the Gerber Index rates this as...

(looking)

Gerber 8, which seems appropriate enough. Perhaps a couple of these sold have over the years in antique malls mixed in with coloring books and children's books as it could pass as an activities book at a glance?

Western Picture Stories 1

im guessing these last 10 books will have the least amount of interest. Unfortunately the publisher does not alphabetically go out with a "bang". Nonetheless, our countdown to completion begins

10:

IMG_5342.JPG

4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

im guessing these last 10 books will have the least amount of interest. Unfortunately the publisher does not alphabetically go out with a "bang". Nonetheless, our countdown to completion begins

10:

IMG_5342.JPG

It's been a wonderful ride, educational and never dull. 

I know a previous request went in to showcase your upgrades after the last book is posted.  I'd like to see a group shot of the 12 toughest (for you,  or in general).  

26 minutes ago, sagii said:

It's been a wonderful ride, educational and never dull. 

I know a previous request went in to showcase your upgrades after the last book is posted.  I'd like to see a group shot of the 12 toughest (for you,  or in general).  

Will do

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

im guessing these last 10 books will have the least amount of interest. Unfortunately the publisher does not alphabetically go out with a "bang".

Well, you never know as it could be a portent of things to come.  :gossip:

With the CGC 8.5 copy of Rawhide Kid 17 hitting into the 5-figures, maybe the Westerns are making a big comeback and the heat from this big bull run has finally cycled back through to the Westerns after a 50+ years absence.  lol

If long forgotten and obscure romance books can do it, than why not Westerns?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

With the CGC 8.5 copy of Rawhide Kid 17 hitting into the 5-figures, maybe the Westerns are making a big comeback and the heat from this big bull run has finally cycled back through to the Westerns after a 50+ years absence.  lol

If long forgotten and obscure romance books can do it, than why not Westerns?  hm

that would be cool...but most of these issues whimpered in the Berk auction...and if his copies can't generate any real interest, then...

17 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

that would be cool...but most of these issues whimpered in the Berk auction...and if his copies can't generate any real interest, then...

Well, that's probably only because you weren't in there bidding like there's no tomorrow on these particular Centaurs.   lol

11 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

10:

IMG_5342.JPG

:cloud9:  Maybe the least interest but there's still some. 

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Western Picture Stories 4

maybe this was bring your kid to work day and Buresch had his kid draw the cover?

IMG_5345.JPG

Just awful, yet still interesting (in an Ed Wood Jr. kind of way).