• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forums Greatest Dustups Poll/Discussion
3 3

176 posts in this topic

People were allowed to be pretty much insane for a while. There were regularly threats of violence* hammer/meth/black schotzy/etc was always doing his 'roid rage thing and others would get in on the fun (I remember JC made a bunch of tough guy noises.)  And the level of trolling was just over the top. A lot of my favorite people from those early days are gone because they were either banned or they just left for their own mental health. I left for a couple of years and came back to find the place really changed. It was calmer, which was both good and bad. Good because everyone wasn't involved in a flame war all the time. Bad because the overall energy level was down.

But it was literally all flame wars all the time. 

*"best" one? hammer offered supapimp a bag of cash to fly out to NYC and fight him? something like that? Was that where he called him "gunga thin?" Supa drove him crazy :cloud9:

9 minutes ago, rob_react said:

People were allowed to be pretty much insane for a while. There were regularly threats of violence* hammer/meth/black schotzy/etc was always doing his 'roid rage thing and others would get in on the fun (I remember JC made a bunch of tough guy noises.)  And the level of trolling was just over the top. A lot of my favorite people from those early days are gone because they were either banned or they just left for their own mental health. I left for a couple of years and came back to find the place really changed. It was calmer, which was both good and bad. Good because everyone wasn't involved in a flame war all the time. Bad because the overall energy level was down.

*"best" one? hammer offered supapimp a bag of cash to fly out to NYC and fight him? something like that? Was that where he called him "gunga thin?" Supa drove him crazy :cloud9:

I would have taken the cash then not showed up for the brawl to further drive him over the edge. lol 

The "arguing" one can see is because the participants don't run to moderation to complain. 

It used to be, the delusional were noted as delusional, and dealt with as delusional...JC, for example. People still interacted with them, but when they ratcheted up to "more delusional than usual", they were ignored or shut down by other members.

Now, sadly, delusional is the majority, and the majority finds solace and strength in numbers. And, like dead people, the delusional don't know they're delusional, and think they're making fabulous, logical, airtight arguments, but all they're really doing is engaging in petty personal commentary and attacks...which will then universally be followed by some form of "I know you are, but what am I?" 

It's a singular lack of self control and desire for revenge that drives people to go out of their way to deliberately seek and provoke conflict, some of which is designed to get people banned.

That's not healthy. In any community. Too bad it's not recognized.

1 hour ago, kav said:

I still see a lot of arguing.  It's only when someone gets cornered they tell the other guy to 'move on'.

I remember back in the day when the mods would say if you slip up one more time you're gone and they kept their promise.

20 minutes ago, rob_react said:

*"best" one? hammer offered supapimp a bag of cash to fly out to NYC and fight him? something like that? Was that where he called him "gunga thin?" Supa drove him crazy :cloud9:

It's all still here, it's just gone underground. The board has some very clever (not bright...but certainly clever) trolls, who know how to provoke without it looking like they're provoking, so they can claim plausible deniability.

It makes for a much more "polite" place, but all the hatred, rage, and insanity is still there, bubbling under the surface, like a New England Thanksgiving, waiting to boil over at the slightest (and seemingly utterly insignificant) disturbance.

I far prefer people be honest and open about where they stand, and I know I'm not alone. We've sacrificed substance for form, and created a Potemkin Village all our own.

13 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

the delusional don't know they're delusional, and think they're making fabulous, logical, airtight arguments, but all they're really doing is engaging in petty personal commentary and attacks...which will then universally be followed by some form of "I know you are, but what am I?" 

6 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The board has some very clever (not bright...but certainly clever) trolls, who know how to provoke without it looking like they're provoking, so they can claim plausible deniability.

Q.E.D.

22 minutes ago, kav said:

I would have taken the cash then not showed up for the brawl to further drive him over the edge. lol 

He was always nuts. He was super entertaining. I'll give him that.  We were actively trying to unmask him and get him kicked off of eBay, but he was good for a laugh. He might be the prototype of an early CGC forum poster lol

22 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It makes for a much more "polite" place, but all the hatred, rage, and insanity is still there, bubbling under the surface, like a New England Thanksgiving, waiting to boil over at the slightest (and seemingly utterly insignificant) disturbance.

New England Thanksgiving ???

I didn't know what was going on when I was only replied to by a face eating popcorn today...

:popcorn:

Who do I make my complaint out to?

Nunyah? Nunyah, you say well I don't just know what to think of that! (: