• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s THE MANDALORIAN Show
7 7

1,256 posts in this topic

I heard on the news this morning that Hasbro will be making a baby Yoda toy with different versions from 14.99 to 24.99, with the more expensive being, and this confused me, either with talking or movement ability. Hasbro notes that it is to late for the Christmas season but are going to tie the release to some date having to do with the Mandalorian. It will be in Walmart, Target and some others mentioned. So maybe there is still a real surprise episode coming.

Episode 6 was much more fun and a throwback to the days of old with the Star Wars franchise warriors fighting in tight compartments as they try to overcome a massive force. Pretty cool!

Glad the characters we experienced could have future appearances.

10 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I'm on of those weirdos that can spot an actor miles away even under heavy makeup.
I knew this was the old shaw shank Captain as soon as I heard his voice.

However I was shocked when I found out Pedro Pascal was the main actor...
If that is his voice is really is awesome to be able to change his voice like that.
I would have never guessed the Red Viper and the this actor that sounds like a Clint Eastwood
cool vocal style were the same. Just Brilliant!

17 minutes ago, Wally's Comics said:

However I was shocked when I found out Pedro Pascal was the main actor...
If that is his voice is really is awesome to be able to change his voice like that.
I would have never guessed the Red Viper and the this actor that sounds like a Clint Eastwood
cool vocal style were the same. Just Brilliant!

In the Mandalorian he's using his real voice; it was in Game of Thrones where he was altering it to have a Spanish accent.

Spoiler

Liked the episode, but if I were to try to find one thing...there was a 10min moment (Might have been less, but felt like 20min) where they’re in the max prison vessel, after Mando escapes, and they’re all slowly creeping around in dim light...I found myself saying, “come on, this is excessively slow”...

Indiewire gives the show a 'D' overall because at this point it doesn't understand where it is heading.

“The Mandalorian” is a $100 million show about nothing. There’s no overarching plot, no character development, and, six episodes in, still no emotional stakes or any indication that these issues will get resolved. It’s about a walking action figure and his merchandising-friendly pet, doomed to endlessly receive jobs that pay well enough to fly to the next episode’s location, team up with a celebrity cameo, get betrayed by bounty hunters, save Baby Yoda from said bounty hunters, and set off to the aforementioned next episode’s location.

“Chapter 6: The Prisoner” opens with the Mandalorian, AKA Mando (Pedro Pascal, probably?), meeting up with an old contact who will pay the Mandalorian to help break a prisoner out of a New Republic ship. It’s a fairly promising concept, even if there’s infuriatingly no context for the Mandalorian accepting this latest one-off quest. The Mandalorian has been marketed as a morally grey character and watching him go against the franchise’s good guys to make ends meet could have provided some much-needed depth to Pascal’s underdeveloped character, but “The Mandalorian” doesn’t do much with the idea outside of changing the look of the things the Mandalorian is shooting.

“The Mandalorian” hasn’t made many attempts to hide that it’s a family-friendly serial adventure, but its younger skew is no excuse for the sheer stagnation here. “The Mandalorian” executive producer Dave Filoni’s work on “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” and “Star Wars Rebels” children’s animated series has been admirable, and each of those shows pushed the franchise into interesting new directions. It’s not that “The Mandalorian” is playing it safe; the show is barely playing anything at all.

The last three episodes of “The Mandalorian” have been entirely interchangeable, and there’s been zero plot developments to speak of since the titular protagonist escaped the Bounty Hunter’s Guild with Baby Yoda in tow in Episode 3. There’s more than enough “Star Wars” locales for the Mandalorian and Baby Yoda to keep this unmoving jig up until the end of time, but one can only hope Season One’s remaining two episodes will provide some sort of long-overdue catharsis to this meandering journey.

Grade: D

I guess they don't like a mysterious character with a slow buildup what he is about based on tiny history reveals.

(shrug)

Just a solid show with good writing and directing. I do wish however they committed to actually killing some of the hijackers, put some consequences into it. Not putting them down felt like a pointless risk and time waste. I don’t think that decision made sense and that sorta bothered me. Other than that great episode. To date one bad episode, one flawed, and the rest have been great.

On 12/15/2019 at 5:38 AM, Bosco685 said:

Indiewire gives the show a 'D' overall because at this point it doesn't understand where it is heading.

People are expecting it to be a serialized show/8 hour movie split into episodes like Stranger Things because it's streaming, but it's looking more procedural like Law and Order, CSI, etc. or those classic TV westerns that can be watched in any order with some character building each episode.  The valuable streaming properties that are getting bought and sold for big money are long running half hour procedurals like Seinfeld, The Office, Friends, etc. that can be watched over and over again.  They, the "professional" reviewers, should know this already.

Edited by Marwai

16 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Just a solid show with good writing and directing. I do wish however they committed to actually killing some of the hijackers, put some consequences into it. Not putting them down felt like a pointless risk and time waste. I don’t think that decision made sense and that sorta bothered me. Other than that great episode. To date one bad episode, one flawed, and the rest have been great.

Same thoughts. "How/why did he waste time "imprisoning" everyone who tried their hardest to kill him, and put him and BY in much greater risk?"

Okay, so I guess he doesn't like killing anymore, like Clint Eastwood's character in "Unforgiven".

And Mando taking out those handful of robotic guards was impressive, but then bill burr (forget his characters name) took 3 down with ease in the matter of seconds. Where’s the consistency?

Don’t get me wrong though, I friggin love the show haha. 

Edited by Callaway29

3 hours ago, jcjames said:

Same thoughts. "How/why did he waste time "imprisoning" everyone who tried their hardest to kill him, and put him and BY in much greater risk?"

Okay, so I guess he doesn't like killing anymore, like Clint Eastwood's character in "Unforgiven".

Because it's Disney+:baiting:. Blowing up a space station and killing everyone on board is OK though....

Edited by Xenosmilus

7 hours ago, jcjames said:

True!

Strange.

I am liking the series though, I do see character development in Mando so far, so that review was just dumbonkers.

It just goes to show these professionals meant to guide whether to see a production are just like anyone else. Or worse, they are failed or mediocre directors or producers with a chip on their shoulders how they could have done it better - if only studios had given them a chance.

You pick a few that seem reasonable, but still make up your own mind.

On 12/16/2019 at 10:21 AM, Marwai said:

People are expecting it to be a serialized show/8 hour movie split into episodes like Stranger Things because it's streaming, but it's looking more procedural like Law and Order, CSI, etc. or those classic TV westerns that can be watched in any order with some character building each episode.  The valuable streaming properties that are getting bought and sold for big money are long running half hour procedurals like Seinfeld, The Office, Friends, etc. that can be watched over and over again.  They, the "professional" reviewers, should know this already.

Well, that's what I just assumed the show would be because that's how most of these streaming shows are:  basically a long movie divided up into episodes.

And that is kind of how this series started too.  The first 3 episodes felt like chapters of an overall film with a central plot thread linking them together.

The "problem" arises with episode 4 when that plot thread seems to get dropped altogether and the series switches to fairly self-contained stories that are only loosely related to each other and the last 3 episodes could probably be watched in any order.

I got to be honest though: I kind of like it.  I'm a big fan of classic TV and I miss the days when you could say 'The Tholian Web is my favorite Star Trek episode' or just sit down and watch the Dragon's Domain episode of Space: 1999 without watching the entire season of each series.

I like Stranger Things but it's not like I'm going to sit down and watch Season 1, episode 6 by itself.  You're kind of committed to watching the entire season of those kinds of series.  So I personally find the Mandalorian series a bit refreshing.

So while I disagree with the reviewer's D grade, I can understand why he finds the series a bit disjointed.