• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s THE MANDALORIAN Show
7 7

1,256 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

What's that thing?

Last episode was enjoyable but not one of the better ones.  The TIE fighter crashes but doesn't explode and they don't think to go check it?  He's tasked with finding out about the child, and the one guy who knows all about it falls right over there and he doesn't even check?  ???

Not the first time the writings been sloppy. Lots of weak dialogue as well and it’s frustrating because I want to love this show. 

Overall I liked the series but it does have it's flaws. The show has weak/childish dialog and plots. I THINK I understand Favreau's reasoning behind that. He is gearing it towards a younger/family audience which I can live with for now. The one thing I don't get though is why has no one heard of a Jedi before!!!! Seems like someone should have at this point. I believe that this takes place soon after ROTJ(?).

1 hour ago, Xenosmilus said:

Overall I liked the series but it does have it's flaws. The show has weak/childish dialog and plots. I THINK I understand Favreau's reasoning behind that. He is gearing it towards a younger/family audience which I can live with for now. The one thing I don't get though is why has no one heard of a Jedi before!!!! Seems like someone should have at this point. I believe that this takes place soon after ROTJ(?).

Just watched the 5th episode and the antagonist is exactly as horrible an actor thats been described here. It was a very weak episode, but still entertaining

3 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

For the most part I think, most of the Jedi were long gone even during ROTJ.

Even during SWANH, the Jedi were thought to be just "hocus pocus" in many parts of the galaxy.

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I enjoyed it

But what was that thing Moff Giddeon

Used to cut his way out of the fighter?

A makeshift lightsaber

A unique saber called the Darksaber first shown in the Clone Wars cartoon.  It was the weapon of the first Mandalorian Jedi.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Darksaber

obi-wanprevizsla.jpg

The two troopers waiting around for confirmation was gold, pure gold! :roflmao:

It was almost "Tarantinesque" in the banter, and CLASSIC with them both trying to hit the target just a few feet in front of them. Whoever wrote that scene truly understands the subtle nuances of the Star Wars universe LOL! lol

6 hours ago, jcjames said:

It was almost "Tarantinesque" in the banter, and CLASSIC with them both trying to hit the target just a few feet in front of them. Whoever wrote that scene truly understands the subtle nuances of the Star Wars universe LOL! lol

Yeah

It was hilarious, except when they hit baby yoda though!:headbang:

7 hours ago, jcjames said:

Great way to summarize that scene. It definitely felt like a Tarantino film. And great use of the franchise backstory Stormtroopers are horrible shots requiring multiple firing to hit anything, and how they are mindless in that they will watch each other get shot and act like it is normal their leadership acts the way they do towards them.

lol

FORBES.COM: Star Wars ‘The Mandalorian’ Episode 8 Recap And Review: A Terrific Season Finale

The Mandalorian Season 1, Episode 8, 'Redemption'
Director: Taika Waititi

Writer: Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni

Aired: December 27, 2019
Run Time: 40 minutes

The Mandalorian’s first season has come to an end, sadly, after just eight short episodes. Today’s season finale was the longest of the bunch, though still just over 40 minutes of runtime.

That’s fine, of course. It’s not how long an episode is that matters, it’s how well the story plays out, and how the creators make use of the time. They make (mostly) brilliant use of it here. This was a tremendous season finale with a huge reveal at the end, and just a handful of things that bugged me.

Questions from the episode.

Spoiler
  • How did the Imperials defeat that many Mandalorians? We’ve already seen how ineffective they are against Mando and his tiny crew. I have a hard time understanding how they’d be caught so flat-footed. And if the Imperials came in numbers and strength enough to defeat the entire Mandalorian covert, why didn’t they remain on Navarro?
  • How did the Armorer survive while the rest of the Mandalorians were killed? It seems like they’d all be dead, unless she was out shopping or something.
  • Why didn’t the Imperials take all that priceless Beskar steel with them afterward? If they wiped them all out, they’d have no reason not to gather it all up.

They manage to get the ship moving and the droid blinks to life—and then stands up. It’s like R2-D2 but with long arms and legs, and a great long pole to push the ferry down the lava river with. There’s light at the end of the tunnel, but Mando—using his helmets special x-ray vision—spots Stormtroopers waiting in ambush. A whole platoon, he says, and here is my second big quibble:

• There are maybe two dozen Stormtroopers waiting outside in ambush. That’s fewer than we encountered in the town, and yet Mando and the rest all see the coming fight as hopeless. Have they not seen how poorly a Stormtrooper shoots? This shouldn’t be that difficult a fight.
  • And yet, IG-11 goes ahead and self-destructs, blowing up the lot of them, despite this not being the overwhelming odds that the show wants us to believe it is. They should have included many more Stormtroopers or some other danger, because I was not convinced at all.

Wrap-up details.

Spoiler

Mando speaks with the Armorer and we learn more of his backstory through flashbacks. We see, once again, his parents hiding him on whatever world he hails from. It turns out he wasn’t born on Mandalore and this isn’t a flashback of that planet’s destruction. His parents hide him and the battle droid is about to kill him when it’s blasted to smithereens. A Mandalorian appears, and beckons for Mando—or Din at this point—to come with him. He does, and outside we see a whole group of Mandalorians taking on the Imperial droids, rescuing the people of the town. The one that saves Mando jetpacks off with him.

“I was a foundling,” Mando says. The Armorer tells him that the Child is a foundling also, and that they are now bound together, that he is now baby Yoda’s father, at least until he can reunite him with his own kind. The Armorer tells him that she knows of his kind—a tribe of sorcerers known as Jedi that once fought against the great Mandalore.

The Armorer gives Mando his very first jetpack and his signet—a Mudhorn. She tells him that he and the Child are now a clan of two.

And so our second season is setup. Mando is on a quest to find the Child’s people—either more of his species or, perhaps, other Jedi. This opens up some fascinating possibilities and adventures.

The live-action interstellar bounty hunter series, The Mandalorian, premiered November 12 on Disney+, the same day the streaming service launched. Insiders have hinted that several established characters from the Skywalker saga’s feature films mythology will make appearances during the show’s sophomore season.

The Mandalorian stars Pedro Pascal along with Gina Carano, Giancarlo Esposito, Emily Swallow, Carl Weathers, Omid Abtahi, Werner Herzog, Nick Nolte, Julia Jones and Ming-Na Wen.

20 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

A unique saber called the Darksaber first shown in the Clone Wars cartoon.  It was the weapon of the first Mandalorian Jedi.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Darksaber

obi-wanprevizsla.jpg

I recognized it from the Clone Wars.  Cool to see it in live action.