• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s THE MANDALORIAN Show
7 7

1,256 posts in this topic

It had some weak points, but it was another bridge episode to what I expect to be one of the most important episodes in the series and possibly in the last few years of Star Wars canon. 

I enjoyed the final dogfight between the Razor Crest and the Tie Fighters. For only the second or third (I think) directorial work Carl Weathers has done, I thought he did a great job. 

9 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

Wonder if it sets up for a series of events leading to the reason Ahsoka never appeared in Eps. 7-9

There doesn't have to be a reason for it.  She had only been a part of Star Wars since 2008, and the screenwriters of the films may just not have been familiar enough with her to include her.

Having said that Ahsoka's voice is one of those Rey hears at the end of Rise of Skywalker, so she's presumably dead by then.  So she must die at some point between the Mandalorian and that film.  But at the time of the Mandalorian Ben Solo (Kylo Ren) is either not born yet or just a little kid, so there are decades of time for her to meet whatever her fate may have been.  That's pretty open for any writer to tackle as far as I know.

I doubt they kill her anytime soon.  Clone Wars has aged so well that Ahsoka's popularity has grown tremendously as time has gone on.  They're far more likely to milk that popularity than suddenly end the chance to leverage it.

Edited by fantastic_four

I see the Mandalorian as Faverau/Filoni providing Disney an off ramp from the Skywalker saga but also doing cleanup duty, filling gaping plot holes and making WTF moments not so WTF from what transpired in 7-9. One of which is putting a bow on her story. 

I don’t see them offing her right away. It’s the realization that this may be her final arc. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

1 hour ago, awakeintheashes said:

I see the Mandalorian as Faverau/Filoni providing Disney an off ramp from the Skywalker saga but also doing cleanup duty, filling gaping plot holes and making WTF moments not so WTF from what transpired in 7-9. One of which is putting a bow on her story. 

I don’t see them offing her right away. It’s the realization that this may be her final arc. 

Or the beginning of a new one.  Ahsoka could be a part of Luke's Jedi training academy, and baby Yoda could be their first student.  Although he ages so slowly that I assume he's still a kid by the time Episode 9 occurs.

That's not near the top of my guesses as to what WILL happen, but it certainly could.

14 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Or the beginning of a new one.  Ahsoka could be a part of Luke's Jedi training academy, and baby Yoda could be their first student.  Although he ages so slowly that I assume he's still a kid by the time Episode 9 occurs.

That's not near the top of my guesses as to what WILL happen, but it certainly could.

How is it baby Yoda? Wouldn't he have had to have been born long before all this takes place?

10 minutes ago, Hawkman said:

How is it baby Yoda? Wouldn't he have had to have been born long before all this takes place?

"The Child" is not actually Yoda as a baby. He's often referred to as "baby Yoda" but he's just a baby of Yoda's species.

As you alluded to, the Mandalorian takes place after the original trilogy, so actual Yoda would only exist as a force ghost during this time period.

4 minutes ago, Foley said:

"The Child" is not actually Yoda as a baby. He's often referred to as "baby Yoda" but he's just a baby of Yoda's species.

As you alluded to, the Mandalorian takes place after the original trilogy, so actual Yoda would only exist as a force ghost during this time period.

Ok, that's what I thought, but wasn't sure if i missed something. thanks

If you want to watch the most Star Warsiest, Clint Eastwoodiest, sequel to the Dollars Trilogy... watch this Episode... 

Love love love loved it.  

Obviously since it is called "The Jedi" there is no spoiler in that Ahsoka Tano is in it, especially after Mando was sent to seek her out by Bo Katan in the last episode.  The surprise was who Ahsoka is looking for.  That's a spoiler.   Oh... and "The Child" finally has a name and we know where he comes from.   Dawson plays an excellent older version of Ahsoka Tano and they nailed the live action look to be a progression of when she was last seen in Rebels. 

Glad I watched the episode at 3am... and then I immediately saw the feeding frenzy for that character's first appearance start flying off the virtual shelves on eBay.   

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

If you want to watch the most Star Warsiest, Clint Eastwoodiest, sequel to the Dollars Trilogy... watch this Episode... 

Love love love loved it.  

Obviously since it is called "The Jedi" there is no spoiler in that Ahsoka Tano is in it, especially after Mando was sent to seek her out by Bo Katan in the last episode.  The surprise was who Ahsoka is looking for.  That's a spoiler.   Oh... and "The Child" finally has a name and we know where he comes from.   Dawson plays an excellent older version of Ahsoka Tano and they nailed the live action look to be a progression of when she was last seen in Rebels. 

Glad I watched the episode at 3am... and then I immediately saw the feeding frenzy for that character's first appearance start flying off the virtual shelves on eBay.   

Loved the stand off sequence at the end because it blended the two main influences to Star Wars: Westerns and Samurai flicks.

Also, that name drop at the end?  I was not expecting that.

30 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Loved the stand off sequence at the end because it blended the two main influences to Star Wars: Westerns and Samurai flicks.

Also, that name drop at the end?  I was not expecting that.

I hit pause and ran and bought a copy of the 1st Appearance.  If you saw the media where we last saw that character then you know who was with them.   I am glad I bought a few issues of that first appearance as well.   I am hoping the seller I just bought something from honors the deal and ships the book.   Since yesterday afternoon when some get to see the episode in advance, 28 copies of that book have sold on eBay

55 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Oh Boy! This is the way.

The only thing better would have been an after credit scene with Ahsoka beheading Rian Johnson

What makes me laugh about all the hatred to Rian Johnson is that if you really look at Clone Wars and Rebels, Johnson takes a lot of cues from those series. 

Leia using the force to float back to the ship after being jettisoned into space?  Filoni did that first with Kanan in an episode of Rebels. Kanan wasn't even a full Jedi.   While there are definitely some flaws, there are so many more cues that Johnson got right that JJ flat out ignored but it's popular to hate on TLJ... it's cool.   "Ya'll should do ya homework first."  (And I mean that to everyone.)

Edited by Buzzetta

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

What makes me laugh about all the hatred to Rian Johnson is that if you really look at Clone Wars and Rebels, Johnson takes a lot of cues from those series. 

Leia using the force to float back to the ship after being jettisoned into space?  Filoni did that first with Kanan in an episode of Rebels. Kanan wasn't even a full Jedi.   While there are definitely some flaws, there are so many more cues that Johnson got right that JJ flat out ignored but it's popular to hate on TLJ... it's cool.   "Ya'll should do ya homework first."  (And I mean that to everyone.)

You can get away with a lot more in an animated show than a live movie. The Leia thing didn't bother me much, though I did roll my eyes and look over at my son. It was just one of the many little things. How Luke's legacy was handled had me looking for the exit door early. That whole trilogy just turned out to be a big mess.

I'm glad Star Wars is back on track now.

Completely amazing episode.  (worship) LOVED the allusion to Grogu becoming like Anakin as a reason not to train him.

So we're left with Din now quested to find DIFFERENT Jedi.  doh!  Are there any Jedi left that we currently know of at this point besides Luke and Leia?  I haven't seen Rebels or Resistance yet, but I assume those series may have introduced some Jedi characters that could be alive during this time.

But now that we have Ahsoka's judgement that he doesn't just need training as a Jedi but also someone to actively teach him not to succumb to the Dark Side...who do we already know in canon PERFECTLY suited for that role?  Someone who either already has a Jedi training academy or is about to start one, as well as someone who has already gone through this in resisting his own attachments and who also helped Anakin return to the Jedi?  hm

But how could they ever pull that off?  Re-cast Mark Hamill with a younger actor?  (shrug)

Edited by fantastic_four