• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s THE MANDALORIAN Show
7 7

1,256 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Is it me or does it look silly that he has to bend over to shoot the rocket!:facepalm:

It does, but I took it as a throwback to the Original Trilogy, where all the fight scenes looked very silly.

4 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

It does, but I took it as a throwback to the Original Trilogy, where all the fight scenes looked very silly.

Supposedly they did it as a nod to the original toy release.

One of the joys of watching The Mandalorian for devout Star Wars fans is that it has drawn inspiration from all corners of the galaxy far, far away, thanks to series creator Jon Favreau and many of the series' directors being such passionate consumers of all things Star Wars. The first season saw references to even the most obscure arenas of the franchise, whether that be The Star Wars Holiday Special, the made-for-TV Ewok movies, or props that were briefly seen in the films but have become fan-favorite references over the decades. In the Season Two premiere of The Mandalorian, we see a nod to one of the most rare items in the world of Star Wars collecting.

The toy in question was a Boba Fett figure from the late '70s whose jetpack fired a projectile, though Kenner claims it was never officially released. The figure was developed after audiences first met Fett in the Holiday Special and was being released ahead of the debut of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, where audiences would first see the character in a live-action adventure. The figure was acquired by first purchasing four Star Wars figures and then sending in the UPC codes from those figures by mail to receive Fett, an already involved arduous task, but with Kenner apprehensive about children potentially injuring themselves with the projectile or possibly swallowing it, the firing mechanism was removed.

Despite Kenner claiming none of these toys that fired a rocket were released, they do appear at various auctions and often sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

What makes the toy interesting is that, despite firing a rocket from its jetpack, this was something audiences never saw Boba Fett do, as he instead used the pack for transport. That is, it's something we've never seen the armor do until the Season Two premiere of The Mandalorian.

The episode sees Cobb Vanth (Timothy Olyphant) sporting Boba Fett's armor after having obtained it from Jawas. At multiple points in the episode, Cobb leans forward to allow a rocket to shoot from his pack exactly as it shot from the back of the toy, clearly a direct nod to the rare figure.

Throughout the history of Star Wars, we've seen Mandalorians demonstrate all manner of tech, so while it might not immediately stand out as a nod to the figure, Favreau's love for all corners of the galaxy far, far away means this was surely done as a reference to the toy.

16 hours ago, media_junkie said:
16 hours ago, Bosco685 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The actor that played Jango Fett (Temuera Morrison) in the prequel trilogy and who was the clone father of Boba Fett.

jango_fett.PNG.601479e5358e31da1b506774d3446ece.PNGjango_fett2.PNG.c4948e12d17ab2aa3006625131423c24.PNG

So in other words depending on how they approach this, that is Boba Fett or one of the remaining clones. But he was the one in Season 1, Episode 5 that stood over the dead assassin. Now we have our answer.

Well that is all kinds of awesome.

It's almost certainly who we think it is given that he fell into that Sarlacc pit on that same planet a few years before the show is taking place.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Supposedly they did it as a nod to the original toy release.

Jango did it in Episode II... which I have to admit... I liked the fight scene between Jango and Obi Wan.   About thirty seconds in... They have to look down to do it as Jango's head tucks in.  

Edited by Buzzetta

Ewan McGregor wore his old Jedi robes for a test fitting on the set of the Mandalorian... 

https://screencrush.com/ewan-mcgregor-jedi-robes/

I will be very surprised if he does not show up as a force Ghost as younger Kenobi (After Revenge of the Sith and before ANH) to Ahsoka as that would be the way that she remembers him from the last time they met. 

34 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

It's almost certainly who we think it is given that he fell into that Sarlacc pit on that same planet a few years before the show is taking place.

I agree, but technically, both are right. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

17 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

DC42D40B-98A6-45DB-A814-18E6D1C25269.jpeg

Wait. I thought he quit and some of us were very disappointed in his behavior for not wanting to hide his face under a mask.

lol

Oh. That's right. Grace Randolph and Dollar Store Doctor Doom spread this story. My bad.

The last time Star Wars fans saw him, Boba Fet had fallen into the sarlacc pit where the beast would digest him over many years. That doesn't seem to have been what happened. But how did Boba Fett escape his fate? Star Wars told that story once before.

Before Disney purchased Lucasfilm, there was a sprawling web of Star Wars stories told in books, comics, and games. Fans dubbed it the Expanded Universe. Disney swept this continuity away, now publishing it under the non-canon Legends banner to make way for a new, more cohesive expansion of the Star Wars universe.

But the Expanded Universe is often credited with saving Star Wars from obscurity. A decade after Return of the Jedi's theatrical debut, interest in Star Wars was fading. The releases of Timothy Zahn's novel Heir to Empire and the Dark Horse comics series Dark Empire, both in 1991, reeled lapsed fans back in by continuing the Star Wars story past the events of the films.

In Dark Empire, fans first found out that Boba Fett survived the sarlacc, though they wouldn't learn how until years later. In 1995, Bantam Spectra released the anthology Tales from Jabba's Palace. The book included a short story titled "A Barve Like That: The Tale of Boba Fett" by J. D. Montgomery (a pseudonym of Daniel Keys Moran). The tale recounts Boba Fett's time within the sarlacc.

Upon awakening in the sarlacc, Boba Fett makes telepathic contact with Susejo, one of the sarlacc's earliest victims. Susejo's consciousness had fused with the monster. Susejo relays stories he heard from some of the sarlacc's other victims, including a Jedi from the Old Republic. Boba Fett isn't interested in the stories but comes up with an idea. By getting Susejo to make the sarlacc contract its muscles around Boba's jetpack, he triggers an explosion. The blast frees Boba Fett from the sarlacc's interior lining. Boba then uses concussion grenades to blast a hole in the side of the creature. Boba Fett leaves, becoming the first person known to have escaped a sarlacc, though the trial badly hurts him.

Boba would have died if the bounty hunter Dengar hadn't found him in the desert. Dengar nursed him back to health, and the two worked as partners for a brief time. A year after his escape, Boba Fett returned to the sarlacc, which was still alive, and told Susejo that he'd be back again sometime in the future.

Boba Fett went on to a new life from there. He continued as a bounty hunter and later had a family. He even fought alongside Han Solo and later trained Han and Leia's daughter, Jaina. But that was the old Expanded Universe.

I had no idea about much of his story history that Disney has ignored.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Wait. I thought he quit and some of us were very disappointed in his behavior for not wanting to hide his face under a mask.

lol

Oh. That's right. Grace Randolph and Dollar Store Doctor Doom spread this story. My bad.

Did Disney or anyone from Lucasfilm squash this rumor? Not sure if it even gathered enough steam to warrant their response. 

14 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I had no idea about much of his story history that Disney has ignored.

People romanticize it but the Expanded Universe was a mess...think 1990's X-Men lol 

There were a LOT of bright spots that Disney has been carefully examining and reintroducing with a new narrative and I suspect that that they will continue to so.  I believe it was best to close the door on the entire expanded universe out in one flush and then pick and choose, after careful examination, what to reintroduce and what to leave in storage. 

The two most important things that they have already done? 

• Grand Admiral Thrawn was reintroduced in the Disney TV series Rebels.
  • The survival and return of Boba Fett

There have been little nuances though that were part of the old expanded universe that are once again part of the Disney cannon, such as certain ships and weapons, as well as planets and minor characters. 

I doubt though that they will ever bring Mara Jade into canon since that would conflict too much with the Disney movies. 

Some guy's consciousness melding with the Sarlacc and talking to Boba sounds quite dumb.  :screwy:

How were those things supposed to keep victims alive for a thousand years, i.e. beyond the natural lifespan of most species?