• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s THE MANDALORIAN Show
7 7

1,256 posts in this topic

So when Pedro Pascal was invited to speak with Jon Favreau about a potential Star Wars project that would become Star Wars: The Mandalorian, he was excited. And then he saw the images of the title character and thought he was going to be Boba Fett — and his excitement peaked.

So imagine his reaction when he found out he's not playing Boba Fett, but someone else entirely. Pascal spoke with Disney's twenty-three magazine about the experience, revealing that he was confused when he signed on to the inaugural live-action series in the Star Wars franchise.

"I wanted to meet Jon Favreau. I didn't care what he wanted me to do," Pascal explained. "So we met in Jon's office, which was covered with story illustrations from this show — and I noticed the Mandalorian, a Boba Fett-looking character, immediately. I thought to myself, 'Oh, it's amazing that they are finally gonna get into this character.' Jon talked about the story, visuals, and tone. I thought it was amazing and finally asked, 'Well, who am I?' I'm pointing to different characters, creatures, and aliens in the concept art, and John just looked at me and said 'You're the Mandalorian.'"

And, of course, that's where the confusion got awkward...

"I was like, 'WHAT? I get to play Boba Fett?' He said, 'No, he's not Boba Fett. He's the Mandalorian.' I couldn't have imagined a better moment."

It is interesting how the show transitioned. Too bad the forum setup doesn't allow thread edits after a year. :frown:

24 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I wonder if the Solo movie was a success if we would have gotten Boba Fett in the sequel.  Probably better that it played out the way it did.

This looks like a better result only because we get 6 hours of Star Wars material with a character resembling Boba Fett, though he may be even more brutal from those Storm Trooper heads lining his walkway.

But we could get a fast film follow-up from there centrally focused on Boba Fett. :wishluck:

20 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I wonder if the Solo movie was a success if we would have gotten Boba Fett in the sequel.  Probably better that it played out the way it did.

20 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

This looks like a better result only because we get 6 hours of Star Wars material with a character resembling Boba Fett, though he may be even more brutal from those Storm Trooper heads lining his walkway.

But we could get a fast film follow-up from there centrally focused on Boba Fett. :wishluck:

I agree that this is the safe choice. It eliminates some (not all) of the comparison to Boba Fett and how Boba Fett would or would not be be doing this or that since it is a semi blank canvas.  

BTW On the toy front, we have only seen one 6" figure and that is the title character.   We have also seen one scheduled Lego set including the character. 

This is a Disney+ flagship program as far as I am concerned. 

Where are the toys? 

if it okay, I can post what was currently released but I know some hate spoilers.  Both items scheduled for release has already been seen in the trailer.   Most everything from Rise of the Skywalker has been leaked so I am not seeing anything else of the Mandalorian. 

Edited by Buzzetta

I'm split on this. 

On the one hand I'm cautiously optimistic for this. Granted, the situation strikes me as similar to Star Trek 6: they can call the character Valerus but everyone can tell it was supposed to be Saavik.  But if one can suspend their cynicism I think this may be the direction the Star Wars franchise needs to go:  telling a good story that isn't in any way connected to the Skywalker saga nor fill in backstory for an OT character that most really don't feel interested in knowing. They need a new story and characters that will make the Star Wars universe seem like a large story canvas again.  Right now it feels like nothing can happen in that universe without bumping into Darth Vader, Han Solo or a Death Star. 

On the other hand, seeing someone frozen in carbonite in the trailer makes me think they simply won't be able to help themselves in referencing elements from the OT.  I know the OT is where the self-referencing started ( different charecters saying "I got a bad feeling about this", etc) so there's a tradition I guess, but for me it's really grown stale. I've said it before, I'm just ready to see something new. I'm also concerned that, based on the trailer, this show will take itself deadly serious. I guess for this type of character it makes sense, it just would be nice to see something that's kind of fun too. 

I won't buy their subscription service just to see this. Fool me once, shame on you.  But I will definitely check this out when it comes out on video. For what it's worth, this has my interest peeked more than the final film chapter.  Which is kind of sad I think. 

Speaking at Vanity Fair's New Establishment Summit, the "Iron Man" director recounted his conversations with George Lucas, in which the "Star Wars" godfather expressed his desire to keep the franchise's purpose clear.

"[With] 'Star Wars,' part of that responsibility is remembering that part of your audience is a whole generation that's coming of age and, through stories, we express our values to the next generation," Favreau said. "And so one of the things he said was not to lose sight that is the main audience for stories."

While "Star Wars" and stories set in that world are "great for us who grew up with it and feel nostalgic," he said, "you're trying to teach life lessons through the themes and the conflicts that arise among these characters."

In Lucas' thinking, Favreau said, Hollywood westerns helped teach a generation about the values espoused by that film genre.

"The Mandalorian" will debut on Disney+ on November 12, the same date as the service's launch.

The Empire Strikes Back made it sound like freezing somebody in carbonite was not a usual method used to capture people as Vader himself calls it "crude".  Here we see it being used like it's status quo.  Not sure if I like that, but visually this looks pretty good.  Looking forward to it.

On 10/30/2019 at 12:43 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

The Empire Strikes Back made it sound like freezing somebody in carbonite was not a usual method used to capture people as Vader himself calls it "crude".  Here we see it being used like it's status quo.  Not sure if I like that, but visually this looks pretty good.  Looking forward to it.

Actually he doesn’t say the method of freezing is crude, instead he says “this crude facility”. 

I can’t wait until next week! Signed up for my Disney+ couple nights ago :banana:

Just finished watching it.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and double down that Dave Filoni should be given a few live action Star Wars movies with Favareau at his side.  

Visually it definitely fits within the timeline. 

Cannon wise it definitely references that which came before it with visual cues to Clone Wars which was helmed by Filoni. 

I don’t believe this is a spoiler.  I REALLY liked the slick homage to Clint Eastwood’s Dollars / Man with No Name Trilogy.  You will see it shortly before the third act of the first episode. 

I watched this and an episode of Goldblum to see what that was all about along with an Antman short. I also set up profiles for my brother out in LA, the GF, and my parents who live a mile away.  I am giving my password to three other households as Disney supposedly allows for four streams.   With the news of Netflix cracking down on all of this though, I am curious as to how long this will last.  I am on board with Disney+ for the next three years. 

Edited by Buzzetta