• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s THE MANDALORIAN Show
7 7

1,256 posts in this topic

TIME MAGAZAINE: When does THE MANDALORIAN Take Place?

That’s where the series’ place in the Star Wars timeline comes into play. Favreau has said that The Mandalorian is set five years after the fall of the Empire in Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983) and 25 years before the rise of the First Order, the authoritarian regime that is firmly in control of the galaxy when Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015) begins.

In terms of Star Wars years, Return of the Jedi is set in 4 ABY (after the Battle of Yavin) and The Force Awakens is set in 34 ABY, which means The Mandalorian takes place around 9 ABY. This is a period of time when the New Republic, the democratic government formed by the Rebel Alliance following their victory over the Empire, has only a tenuous hold on the galaxy — especially its lawless outskirts.

According to Favreau, The Mandalorian will explore some of the roots of the First Order. “You come in on Episode VII, [the First Order are] not just starting out. They’re pretty far along,” he told EW. “So somehow, things weren’t necessarily managed as well as they could have been if [the galaxy] ended up in hot water again like that.”

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

TIME MAGAZAINE: When does THE MANDALORIAN Take Place?

That’s where the series’ place in the Star Wars timeline comes into play. Favreau has said that The Mandalorian is set five years after the fall of the Empire in Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983) and 25 years before the rise of the First Order, the authoritarian regime that is firmly in control of the galaxy when Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015) begins.

In terms of Star Wars years, Return of the Jedi is set in 4 ABY (after the Battle of Yavin) and The Force Awakens is set in 34 ABY, which means The Mandalorian takes place around 9 ABY. This is a period of time when the New Republic, the democratic government formed by the Rebel Alliance following their victory over the Empire, has only a tenuous hold on the galaxy — especially its lawless outskirts.

According to Favreau, The Mandalorian will explore some of the roots of the First Order. “You come in on Episode VII, [the First Order are] not just starting out. They’re pretty far along,” he told EW. “So somehow, things weren’t necessarily managed as well as they could have been if [the galaxy] ended up in hot water again like that.”

So that means "The asset" would have been born the same year as Anakin.

Coincidence, or the force "balancing" itself?

19 hours ago, Foley said:

So that means "The asset" would have been born the same year as Anakin.

Coincidence, or the force "balancing" itself?

My guess is it was Yoda balancing himself on top of Yaddle.  Attachment is forbidden for Jedi, but that doesn't necessarily preclude them being DTF.  :banana:

Alright, I'm torn on whether or not we should be able to openly discuss this show given that there's a huge spoiler in the first episode that then becomes the entire first season of the series from then on.  You can't discuss this show at all without that one spoiler being spoiled.  But do we really have to put everything in spoiler tags when we discuss the show?

So given that...how, exactly, could a species evolve to take 100+ years to no longer be a mostly-helpless infant?  I can't rule it out, but it seems so unlikely.  Predators would pick them off at a young age.  The answer the show appears to be giving to that implicit question is that even though they're infants, they're so strong in the Force that they can protect themselves as this one did in episode 2.  But he zonked out RIGHT after using the Force...so doesn't that still make them mostly helpless?

The only way this makes sense to me is if their home planet had very few predators for whatever reason.  That, or they had huge litters of 10+ kids, which is the way many species on Earth survive, there are just so many of them that at least one or two make it through childhood.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

But do we really have to put everything in spoiler tags when we discuss the show?

I vote no. If I don't want spoilers about a movie or a show, I just don't go in the thread. Still haven't ventured into the Joker thread because of this.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

So given that...how, exactly, could a species evolve to take 100+ years to no longer be a mostly-helpless infant?  I can't rule it out, but it seems so unlikely.  Predators would pick them off at a young age.  The answer the show appears to be giving to that implicit question is that even though they're infants, they're so strong in the Force that they can protect themselves as this one did in episode 2.  But he zonked out RIGHT after using the Force...so doesn't that still make them mostly helpless?

The only way this makes sense to me is if their home planet had very few predators for whatever reason.  That, or they had huge litters of 10+ kids, which is the way many species on Earth survive, there are just so many of them that at least one or two make it through childhood.

You just have to look to our own species for your answers. Human young are helpless for a very lengthy time compared to other species. How old would a child have to be to survive on it's own back in the "cave men" days? 10 years old? Less? More?

Humans evolved and survived despite having helpless young by having superior intelligence as protection against predators. We built shelter, weapons, stayed in family units etc. Predators didn't pick off human babies (well, surely some did) because they weren't left to fend for themselves.

As far as Yittle (that's what I call him) is concerned, I doubt the force is the only protection that would normally be afforded to his species. I assume he would have had parents to protect him, but was taken from them and cared for by some kind of guardian. The only way his species would have to survive predators as infants would be if the parents abandoned their young before they were mature enough to survive on their own, and I personally don't think that's the case here.

It be wicked if they tied it in with Rise of Skywalker.

It's clear baby yoddle is already balanced and not as helpless as one would let on, by his reaction to the mandalorians occupational hazards.

Hope there was no spoilers there

Edited by Hollywood1892

30 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

It's clear baby yoddle is already balanced and not as helpless as one would let on, by his reaction to the mandalorians occupational hazards.

Yea, maybe they're only slow to physically develop, but mentally they progress as other species do.

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Yea, maybe they're only slow to physically develop, but mentally they progress as other species do.

Do you think they will tie the character into rise of Skywalker? Or maybe future events, you can only go so far with making movies about the forces of good against evil.

This show is good for Star Wars, mandalorian is a good anti hero.

6 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Do you think they will tie the character into rise of Skywalker?

HIGHLY unlikely.  The screenwriters are different between the two and Rise of Skywalker was written at least a year earlier than Mandalorian.  I think this was still a Boba Fett movie instead of a Disney Plus show back when the Rise of Skywalker screenplay was done.  If this were the MCU with Feige keeping everything straight that'd be a possibility, but Kathleen Kennedy hasn't been doing that, and I see no evidence that anyone else has, either.

Edited by fantastic_four

Another solid episode. A few minor summary points.

Spoiler

Using the Ice Cream maker as the Beskar bounty container....brilliant.

Got to see some great weapon usage.

Cooked stormtrooper, love it!

Nice John Wick moment. 

Wonderful seeing the flying Mandalorians especially with the Heavy trooper gear.

Is that Jon Favreau's voice?

Iron Man flying moment at the end...

Watching this series really makes be want to buy the toys.

Edited by Rip
double word