• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Empty Package Scam from EBay Seller

180 posts in this topic

96E3CB95-6932-41D9-8A67-49802FA20112_zpsyzubjsnl.jpg

EB8EFCBB-CB40-4523-99A4-175767391407_zpsvvxfue1n.jpg

BB8BE0C5-C2EF-40C2-B829-81D50A4021E0_zpsweebcy1r.jpg

The description on the auction read:

This auction is for an Amazing Fantasy volume #15 Silver Age Comic, which is the first appearance of Spider-Man. This comic is complete, and all the pages are attached. I took pictures of every page, and I will post them later tonight. The colors are good, and pages are off-white to yellowish. I grade this comic at about 4.0 VG and I try to grade lower than most comic book stores.

Insurance and signature confirmation will be required.

So, it did not mention or picture the comic book being CGC graded / slabbed, so it's odd that they'd put in a broken CGC case, which to me would be an attempted postal fraud where the seller could claim that between sending it to you and you receiving it, someone intercepted the parcel, took the comic book out and left the case, but in this instance, there should be no CGC case involved with the merchandise and that broken case has no business being inside of that box.

Odd...

96E3CB95-6932-41D9-8A67-49802FA20112_zpsyzubjsnl.jpg

EB8EFCBB-CB40-4523-99A4-175767391407_zpsvvxfue1n.jpg

BB8BE0C5-C2EF-40C2-B829-81D50A4021E0_zpsweebcy1r.jpg

The description on the auction read:

This auction is for an Amazing Fantasy volume #15 Silver Age Comic, which is the first appearance of Spider-Man. This comic is complete, and all the pages are attached. I took pictures of every page, and I will post them later tonight. The colors are good, and pages are off-white to yellowish. I grade this comic at about 4.0 VG and I try to grade lower than most comic book stores.

Insurance and signature confirmation will be required.

So, it did not mention or picture the comic book being CGC graded / slabbed, so it's odd that they'd put in a broken CGC case, which to me would be an attempted postal fraud where the seller could claim that between sending it to you and you receiving it, someone intercepted the parcel, took the comic book out and left the case, but in this instance, there should be no CGC case involved with the merchandise and that broken case has no business being inside of that box.

Odd...

Exactly.

Putting a raw book in a CGC case to "protect it" makes no sense. CGC comics are more prone to breakage and damage during shipping than raw comics.

The buyer does not seem to be concerned about the seller wanting to ship the raw book in a CGC case for "protection." To me, this is a huge red flag.

Also, what is the going price for a 4.0? $4925 seems to be way too low and should throw up another red flag.

If you do enclose a large note saying I am returning your package which contained no comic book so if a postal worker opens it that will be documented.

Very interesting thread, one point brought-up was what do you do as a seller in this situation?

Has anyone been in a seller's perspective where you sold a high-ticket item on ebay, shipped-it and the buyer claimed you didn't ship the item? What protection does the seller have in this situation?

It wasn't high $, but the last thing I sold on ebay was a NES. Buyer claimed no delivery after three or four days. I ship that fast. I didn't get DC, it was $30 or so and I wasn't making much. They took the money fast. Penny wise, pound foolish.

How would the mail worker know what was inside the package, was there any mention on the address label? "Oh look an Amazing fantasy 15! Wow I'll just slip this empty CGC case into the package and no one will be the wiser". I take it that as the Postal service is a federal company that he or she would feel the full weight of the law plus were there not any CCTV available. I don't believe that the post office was to blame I suspect foul play..

Very interesting thread, one point brought-up was what do you do as a seller in this situation?

Has anyone been in a seller's perspective where you sold a high-ticket item on ebay, shipped-it and the buyer claimed you didn't ship the item? What protection does the seller have in this situation?

I sold a few copies of the same book, all slabbed, to a buyer a few years ago. (summarized here) The buyer claimed that I did not include all the books. eBay of PayPal directed the buyer to return the items they did receive. I received an empty envelope.

I ended up filling out an affidavit and having it notarized.

I ended up getting my money back, but it was a headache.

I sold a few copies of the same book, all slabbed, to a buyer a few years ago. (summarized here) The buyer claimed that I did not include all the books. eBay of PayPal directed the buyer to return the items they did receive. I received an empty envelope.

Wow what a crook! I guess the lesson is if you need to receive a return by a scammer, open it up by a third-party witness.

In my situation, nothing happened. It came down to the buyer not buying the insurance on the package so they ended up being out the money and the comic. Granted, this was over 10 years ago when eBay and PayPal didn't immediately side with the buyer in cases. I'm not sure how it would turn out now but I'm certain it would be a bigger headache for the seller.

Wow what a crook! I guess the lesson is if you need to receive a return by a scammer, open it up by a third-party witness.

Big time crook. This situation you asked about happens often when selling digital cards (Star Wars Card Trader). Yes, it's a thing and people will pay for digital cards.

Since you are selling for a card that can only be delivered (traded) in app, there is no trackikg of a physical item to prove the card was delivered or not. I started taking screenshots of everything, but that wasn't enough proof for PP.

I've had a few cases get decided in my favor six months after the initial claim and decision by PP, but it became so frequent that I decided it wasn't worth the headache.

Easy case. The buyer should have no problem getting his money back. I can only hope that the entity reimbursing the buyer will see how easy it is to prosecute the seller and come to agreement with the court about getting their money back from the seller.

i will keep y'all updated, kind of sitting on hands till PayPal gets back to me. Seller has been in communication with some stuff, but I think it's all a scam so will wait to detail our communications. PayPal has till 8th to hear from the seller, see if they really even get contact them back. Seller says going to open USPS case. I am playing along in hope that they catch this fraud and put a front on them at end. Oooo how much fun waiting to get 5k back is...