• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool Lines Art Work Inquiry
1 1

210 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Yeah that’s pretty funny. And accurate. But the OP has been warned for the last 3 years. If he still wants to dive off the cliff, move out of the way and let him dive!

Over at the L.A. Comic Art Con, Rich was set up but not Steve. While I was flipping through his portfolios, a young collector like in his early 30s goes up to Rich and asks if he still had such-and-such complete story. Then Rich says...wait for it... “Let me call my brother.” So he calls Steve and while Steve is probably checking his inventory, the young collector is telling Rich, “Three years ago he said if he didn’t sell it complete that he would break it up. Tell him I want the splash page and page X really, really, really bad.”

Good grief, fella. Put on a little poker face. 

That guys gonna get the Brothers 6 X FMV markup for his troubles.

On 11/26/2019 at 9:27 AM, ZimmermanTelegram said:

How the HELL do you get prices from them? I sent them an inquiry about a few pieces using their site's built in web form and didn't hear back for a month or two, then I sent them an e-mail also asking for prices and it's been radio silence for the last few weeks. What gives? Is there another way to reach them that I should be using? 

Fwitw, i recently shot them a note and got a prompt followup.  While they didnt have the piece i asked for they shot over a price list for a bunch of other related pieces - not ones im interested in though.  

2 hours ago, eewwnuk said:

While they didnt have the piece i asked for they shot over a price list for a bunch of other related pieces - not ones im interested in though.  

They are excellent at that level of customer service. In other zip codes it's referred to as bait and switch lol

27 minutes ago, vodou said:

They are excellent at that level of customer service. In other zip codes it's referred to as bait and switch lol

DIRECT: Do you have any reasonably priced X Men Byrne pages for sale?

”Let me ask my brother.”

REDIRECT: Heres a list from our ARTS AND CRAFTS DEPARTMENT285EF8A1-5009-42D7-B508-A8E3139A6053.thumb.jpeg.c7342d66efc75c66a791e914c30664a7.jpeg

The brothers have stretched to the limit (and beyond) the use of original art to collage new pieces.  

I like to think of their Frankensteins as stand-alone artworks.

"Later" titles, price boxes, text added, "recent" additions....

These are terms with which the current prospective buyer 

should become familiar, as the Donnelly creations hit the

secondary market.

Some good stuff there, but just keep your guard up!

David

On 1/1/2017 at 1:13 PM, NoMan said:

It was a mistake. There is a SD page with Green Goblin on the Cool Lines site. thought it was 20, but that's the Scorpion.

Correction: ASM 23, page 6

$87 K today !!!! In fairness to the Brothers Raise the Rent $35 K looks like a bargain. :o

51 minutes ago, ignimbrite said:

I just want to understand their business model. They sit on hundreds of thousands of dollars of inventory for years which is never a good thing.

They apparently bought a lot of stuff cheaply a long time ago, and don’t mind waiting until they get their price. Also, they don’t always have everything they list. I bought something about 4 years ago, and it is still listed for sale.

Also they frankly appear to be collectors who happen to have given themselves a business name and price portions of their art collection for “sale”, which is to say, not really, but sort of. And that money raised (always well above what they paid) seems to buy more pieces. 

8 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Bingo * 

And yet....they are still in business after 30-40 years.

Maybe they are on to something.

I disapprove of their deceptive descriptions and shenanigans.

But buy low, sell high in an inflating market is not a bad strategy.

At this point, they are way ahead of that game.

If the bubble bursts,, it will burst for most collectors.

Some discrete fields are already in decline.

It will be interesting to watch the results of the HA comic strip auction.

Personally, I am trying to reduce my inventory for family reasons.

They are not as interested as I am.

Good conversation, David

4 hours ago, aokartman said:

And yet....they are still in business after 30-40 years.

Maybe they are on to something.

I disapprove of their deceptive descriptions and shenanigans.

But buy low, sell high in an inflating market is not a bad strategy.

At this point, they are way ahead of that game.

If the bubble bursts,, it will burst for most collectors.

Some discrete fields are already in decline.

It will be interesting to watch the results of the HA comic strip auction.

Personally, I am trying to reduce my inventory for family reasons.

They are not as interested as I am.

Good conversation, David

That’s prudent. I also think in terms of my family dealing with the art should I pass away. Not planning on it !!

I have some plans but it’s quality over quantity at this point of my collecting career. No more wild spending sprees.

Agreed good conversation.

8 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Also they frankly appear to be collectors who happen to have given themselves a business name and price portions of their art collection for “sale”, which is to say, not really, but sort of. And that money raised (always well above what they paid) seems to buy more pieces. 

100% correct

15 hours ago, NewCollector101 said:

What do you mean?

I think he means stuff like the HA strip art auction.   I'm not sure ANY HA auction will truly underperform though, maybe underwhelm, for the buyers bench is not deep, and I suspect a few people would be shilling propping it up.

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION