• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool Lines Art Work Inquiry
1 1

210 posts in this topic

I'm looking for classic Uncanny X-Men art but on a budget. Cool Lines has an insane amount of it, but don't list any of their prices. I'd prefer to see the cost up front to determine what I can and can't afford. There's no way I can ask them for them to list the 50 or so pieces I'm interested in just so I can figure out if I can afford them, is there? Anyway and input or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I'd say all that you can really do is email them, they're the only authority on how much something on their site may cost.

From a personal perspective, I've been in the same boat - even though the 'inquire' listing is very common in this hobby, I typically take my money elsewhere since I've sent more than one completely ignored email to a few different dealer's email addresses based on things on their web site.

I guess OA is just a seller's market :shrug:

If you're insistent on going through with this exercise in flagellation, I suggest picking out 5 or so of your favourite pages and asking the price on those. This will tell you whether or not your idea of affordable jives with their prices.

I'm relatively new to all of this like you and had the same questions when I was getting started and the best advice I can give is to just move along and pretend you never saw any of that stuff on their site. It's probably not even worth taking the time to e-mail them. Seriously.

You could always go to comic art con and talk to one of Los Bros in person. Art is priced there. There are also prices on pieces when they go to SDCC from what I understand (never having been!). You could scour the comic art con threads here from the last few shows and maybe someone caught a page in there in their pictures.

But classic Uncanny art on a budget is a good find for anyone. You won't find anyone who will say that cool lines is the place to go for affordable art, so your best bet is to just move on or be ready to blow the budget. People buy from them, so why not inquire? I myself would not ask about my favorite pieces but rather a few lesser ones to get a frame of reference.

we should start a cool lines pricing thread and anytime anyone gets an actual price it gets listed in the thread!

I'm relatively new to all of this like you and had the same questions when I was getting started and the best advice I can give is to just move along and pretend you never saw any of that stuff on their site. It's probably not even worth taking the time to e-mail them. Seriously.

^^

This right here. Best advice you can get, when wanting to buy from the Donnelly Scammers... I mean, Brothers.

we should start a cool lines pricing thread and anytime anyone gets an actual price it gets listed in the thread!

Wouldn't make any difference, since they'd quote a different price to the next person inquiring. Or sometimes even to the same person inquiring. :eyeroll:

I'm looking for classic Uncanny X-Men art but on a budget. Cool Lines has an insane amount of it, but don't list any of their prices. I'd prefer to see the cost up front to determine what I can and can't afford. There's no way I can ask them for them to list the 50 or so pieces I'm interested in just so I can figure out if I can afford them, is there? Anyway and input or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

This is not the Uncanny X-Men art you are looking for. Slowly walk away.

Its been said already, but again...avoid them and their "alternate" and "first take" covers priced at 400-700% market value and all other associated Donnelly shenanigans.

Nice enough guys, but you cant realistically buy anything from them at any price even remotely in the range of current market. Once they acquire a piece, in my mind I think of it as "lost at sea". As long as they have it, you have to treat it as non-existing. Then eventually they will either sell pieces at a legitmate auction or unload in bulk to a major dealer, at which point it will all be "rediscovered" and will be realistically available to the market again.

On a side note, when all those thousands of prime era pages go live, don't you think it will sorta crash the market value? I always wonder about what will happen one of the mass-collector's finally does sell off.

Also, never say never, but i f you are looking for grade A prime items like classic uncanny x-men art, it's not realistic to do it on a budget

Malvin

That was my first thought as well. Classic Uncanny Xmen and "budget" don't belong in the same sentence.

After hearing many stories of frustrated collectors I did find an interior page from them by an artists I like. Other sellers usually sell pages from the same series by the same talent for $100-$200.

I contacted them about the piece thinking I would be willing to go a lil higher. Note, this was a regular paneled piece not a splash or half splash or anything fancy. The price they quoted me was slightly over $1000.

Needless to say I don't even bother looking at what they offer anymore.

Also, never say never, but i f you are looking for grade A prime items like classic uncanny x-men art, it's not realistic to do it on a budget

Malvin

That was my first thought as well. Classic Uncanny Xmen and "budget" don't belong in the same sentence.

What if this is the sentence, though: "When buying classic Uncanny X-Men art, you'd best have an unlimited budget to do so."

;)

I'd echo the sentiments expressed here-- I buy a fair amount of art but I stick with private sellers or dealers who are willing to go to the bother of actually listing a price. When I'm scrolling through CAFans Gallery and I see one of their listings I just pass over it .

I agree with the general sentiment expressed here, but CAF does have a specific format for listing items for free in galleries that specifically asks to use NFS in the status field. Unless you are a paid member, this is how all listings would look like. I understand not everyone follows the rules, but thought I'd put that out there in case people think NFS can only mean someone who is difficult to deal with or obtuse, when it may actually be someone merely following the rules as set out by CAF.