• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IMPORTANT INFO for anyone buying "unused/rejected" covers esp. from Cool Lines
2 2

66 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

This is why I do not even bother or never have serious considerations of buying anything from the Donnelly brothers or Cool Lines Art whenever I see them at NYCC, Comic Art Con or anywhere else. 

i bid when they put stuff in auction, specifically heritage. I just like the idea of buying a piece off them for market price or maybe a little under if it falls through.

7 hours ago, zhamlau said:

i bid when they put stuff in auction, specifically heritage. I just like the idea of buying a piece off them for market price or maybe a little under if it falls through.

The problem with that is, as someone else pointed out, that some of the auction houses do not do their own proper research and take these guys at their word when they write up the description as to what something is.  Even at auction some of the things they claim they have are not what they actually are. 

This thread makes me a bit queasy. Last month, I was led to the Cool Lines page from Comic Art Fans. I inquired about a New Mutants page that had an actual price listed, not just "Inquire." I got back an email with a listing of many New Mutants pages avaialble for sale, with prices. An impressive collection. The email price for the page I was interested in was five times what the web site said. Not the first time a web site has failed to reflect actual available art and price, but still a little annoying. I gues the market is in flux enough that large collections are difficult to keep updated prices on the web?

Also, some of the pages were listed by their page within the published issue instead of sequential art pages, and a couple of the descriptions did not match what I knew the contents of the page in question to be. An email exchange cleared that up, and I ended up buying two non-splash pages ($700 and $1350 for pages 4 and 19 respectively) from New Mutants #10, a personal childhood favorite by Sal B and Mandrake. Got a reasonable discount on shipping for buying two at once also. Still, stories like this make me leery of looking for more in their admittedly impressive collection. And leery of buying non-published pages in general.

19 hours ago, RBerman said:

This thread makes me a bit queasy. Last month, I was led to the Cool Lines page from Comic Art Fans. I inquired about a New Mutants page that had an actual price listed, not just "Inquire." I got back an email with a listing of many New Mutants pages avaialble for sale, with prices. An impressive collection. The email price for the page I was interested in was five times what the web site said. Not the first time a web site has failed to reflect actual available art and price, but still a little annoying. I gues the market is in flux enough that large collections are difficult to keep updated prices on the web?

Also, some of the pages were listed by their page within the published issue instead of sequential art pages, and a couple of the descriptions did not match what I knew the contents of the page in question to be. An email exchange cleared that up, and I ended up buying two non-splash pages ($700 and $1350 for pages 4 and 19 respectively) from New Mutants #10, a personal childhood favorite by Sal B and Mandrake. Got a reasonable discount on shipping for buying two at once also. Still, stories like this make me leery of looking for more in their admittedly impressive collection. And leery of buying non-published pages in general.

I inquired about a page from Solar 11 which is the storyline that introduced the Eternal Warrior.  Ditko did layouts on that storyline and by layouts (If you go by Jim Shooter's account, sneezed and a pencil rolled across a table and marked up some paper.)  The pages that Cool Lines had were interior panel pages. They wanted north of $2000 for each well over five years ago.

Somehow SparkleCity got ahold of a page to auction off on eBay.   I don't think this was bad for around $400 if I recall correctly.   This was better than what Cool Lines was offering at the time.   So, this was not too shabby for this page. 

I don't trust them.  I don't trust their pricing.  I don't trust their inventory.  People can do what they want.  Over in Comics General they have a saying, "Cool Books."

So over here I guess I will say people will do what they want for "Cool Art" or in this case "Cool Lines."  Not me.   

DzUQOxET_1507141143221.jpg