• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking to finally get into some golden age.

35 posts in this topic

Finally gonna try and get into some GA books want to spend about 2/3000 dollars on some or one book. Being mostly into silver age the first thing I notice is GA is a whole different ballgame which I'm not afraid to say isn't a little intimidating. I like cap and batsman the most. Any suggestions on a good comic in the price range. Thanks

If you're a Silver Age collector, what's the appeal of GA books?

I mean, why "finally"...as if this is some sort of natural or inevitable progression for a true collector? (shrug)

Are you genuinely interested in them because of their art/stories and/or historical value? Or are you getting into them because you feel, perhaps justifiably, that that's where the "serious" collectors play?

If it's the latter, it's likely to be a fool's errand (thought not necessarily so), and an expensive one, too.

And I agree. Avoid $3000 Batsman books at all costs...unless you're a VERY serious cricket fan, of course...

:baiting::jokealert:

:grin:

Yeah I guess batsman would be bad. Looking to get into GA just to expand my collection. Got most of the silver age comics I wanted and after getting AF 15. Looking to move on too GA because I really like the covers

I would identify what series are your favorites, or what look the coolest in your mind, and get one nice example from each. That's what I've always thought of doing. One nice Cap, one nice Subby, one nice Catman, One nice Batsman, etc.

It could be fun. It's all about setting limits with GA. There is soooooo much nice stuff but it's mostly all pretty spendy.

Are you looking for a book as an investment? As a curiosity? For bragging rights? My general assessment of GA books is they appreciate slowly (if at all). So if you spend 3000 on a GA book today, what is your expectation of its value in a year?

Another challenge is there is less volume buying and selling GA books. So you will have a tougher time finding what you want, and also it will take you longer to sell.

If you're ready to drop a couple G's on a book you should consider buying something in an area you're more familiar with..?

Or maybe you should get your feet wet first by buying a couple lower-grade GA books and see how that goes. I see many nice ones for sale here every week for 3 figures, including this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9723328#Post9723328

GERBER's PhotoJournals ........ 2 volume GA set........ get them. This is a good place to start...... 21,000 different GA covers with all kinds of sweetazz data and indexing. Take a month to really go through them..... after that you will be filled with the possibilities..... then perhaps you can analyze your motives and arrive at a course of action...... GOD BLESS...

(thumbs u

Tim of rtsunlimited was selling some sets in the GA Sales Forum......

I have been in the same boat for the last couple of years. I have been testing the golden age waters slowly picking up different genres, publishers, artists, and pedigrees. I usually look for something in the two to three hundred range and see how I feel about owning one in my collection. The next couple of books I will be hunting for are a Matt Baker and a Schomburg timely war cover.

Ideally, hang out in our lovely GA section. We won't bite. ;)

It's one of, if not the most, knowledgeable and info packed sections on the boards. Even as someone who doesn't collect GA, I can't help but read many, many threads there.

GERBER's PhotoJournals ........ 2 volume GA set........ get them. This is a good place to start...... 21,000 different GA covers with all kinds of sweetazz data and indexing. Take a month to really go through them..... after that you will be filled with the possibilities..... then perhaps you can analyze your motives and arrive at a course of action...... GOD BLESS...

(thumbs u

Tim of rtsunlimited was selling some in the GA Sales Forum......

Just nabbed the set on Amazon. Thanks jimbo!

You won't regret making the jump!! I did several years ago!! I fell ALL the way down the rabbits hole but it's so fun down here i'm not even looking for way to get out!! So much history and so many neat publishers. Have fun the Gerber guides are a great start

(thumbs u

Tim of rtsunlimited was selling some sets in the GA Sales Forum......

I was just poking around the web for some.

Coming from Silver Age myself, the biggest shocks when starting GA were rarity, and condition.

I don't care about rarity. I don't take enjoyment of being the only guy with a book, or the guy with the best example of a book. I just want my copy, and when I want it, I want to be able to find it. Very little in the Silver Age is rare, there are copies of everything to be had on eBay. Not so much in GA. You'll find people paying 4 times guide for some books in the sales threads here, and other people being upset that they missed it. That's why I stick with common stuff.

The other thing that astounded me here was what condition people were willing to accept books in. A silver age collector normally won't touch a Fair unless it's a major key, but GA beater Fairs sell well here. Having an ugly copy is better than not having one at all. I don't mind low grade, but I have to be able to read a comic comfortably without the risk of causing further damage. If you're buying GA, and you have limited funds, you'll probably have to take a hard look at low grades, and see which ones work for you.