• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When selling on ebay, is it now okay not to grade them anymore?

140 posts in this topic

I'm curious if a seller claims he can't assign a grade how does that seller come up with a price? If a raw WD#1 sells for 2000 in NM do they sell it for 2000 regardless of the condition?

Obviously they dont. They assign a price depending on the grade which means they can grade a comic. Personally I would never purchase a comic through the mail without a grade assigned to it. I'm sure there are some honest sellers that do this but IMO most are not.

I have heard way to many horror stories of buyers getting duped.

Based on similar looking books that have sold? When I try to come up with a price i look at books in similar shape, I don't base it on what sellers claim the grades are. Not to mention, most auction books start at 9 cents or some low amount, so a seller has not assigned a value.

Edited by the blob

I am a novice grader, and maybe sell 1-2 books a month. I don't list a grade--I take lots of pictures and start all my auctions at $0.99. I do my best to describe flaws and submit more pictures if a potential buyer requests them. I try to always include high res scans of the front and back covers as well. I buy raw books from time to time, and I buy from sellers that have already been mentioned: lots of positive feedback, good descriptions, plenty of pictures.

I am a novice grader, and maybe sell 1-2 books a month. I don't list a grade--I take lots of pictures and start all my auctions at $0.99. I do my best to describe flaws and submit more pictures if a potential buyer requests them. I try to always include high res scans of the front and back covers as well. I buy raw books from time to time, and I buy from sellers that have already been mentioned: lots of positive feedback, good descriptions, plenty of pictures.

I get what you are saying but you are missing out on search result hits. If you are selling run fillers, more people would hit on your ASM 172 NM by searching "Amazing Spider-Man NM". It takes a dedicated person to search for "First Appearance Rocket Racer" or "Amazing Spider-Man 172".

You should still get good feedback if you are close or give it a tight grade. Most don't complain at $0.99 auctions, they simply adjust their bids.

I think it is lazy for the most part.

It says to me the seller does not care enough about the comics to take a look at them and give a rudimentary guess at the condition. Further it can divulge any hidden defects not shown in photos.

Now if it is a book that is $3 in mint condition and you are selling a lot then it would be ok and I would even assume that the grading may be a bit loose. You could be off by a few grades and it will not amount to but less than a dollar in that case. On the other hand if it is a book that is 3 figures or more buyer and seller need to be more astute. Even still noone should demand a seller to be %100 spot on with a grade and if so it can mark an irrational buyer. In that case if you nailed it and gave it the grade CGC gives, it is just luck. It is reasonable to expect that you should be within reason is all. While I do not buy into the whole"grading is subjective" thing there are slightly different standards professionally speaking( CGCvs.OGGvs.CBCSvsPGXvs.Ebayvs.CC)and so on and so on.

If you are selling raw books you need to at lease take a swing and be in the ball park IMO.

I'm curious if a seller claims he can't assign a grade how does that seller come up with a price? If a raw WD#1 sells for 2000 in NM do they sell it for 2000 regardless of the condition?

Obviously they dont. They assign a price depending on the grade which means they can grade a comic. Personally I would never purchase a comic through the mail without a grade assigned to it. I'm sure there are some honest sellers that do this but IMO most are not.

I have heard way to many horror stories of buyers getting duped.

(worship)

I think it is lazy for the most part.

It says to me the seller does not care enough about the comics to take a look at them and give a rudimentary guess at the condition. Further it can divulge any hidden defects not shown in photos.

Now if it is a book that is $3 in mint condition and you are selling a lot then it would be ok and I would even assume that the grading may be a bit loose. You could be off by a few grades and it will not amount to but less than a dollar in that case. On the other hand if it is a book that is 3 figures or more buyer and seller need to be more astute. Even still noone should demand a seller to be %100 spot on with a grade and if so it can mark an irrational buyer. In that case if you nailed it and gave it the grade CGC gives, it is just luck. It is reasonable to expect that you should be within reason is all. While I do not buy into the whole"grading is subjective" thing there are slightly different standards professionally speaking( CGCvs.OGGvs.CBCSvsPGXvs.Ebayvs.CC)and so on and so on.

If you are selling raw books you need to at lease take a swing and be in the ball park IMO.

(thumbs u

I get what you are saying but you are missing out on search result hits. If you are selling run fillers, more people would hit on your ASM 172 NM by searching "Amazing Spider-Man NM". It takes a dedicated person to search for "First Appearance Rocket Racer" or "Amazing Spider-Man 172".

You should still get good feedback if you are close or give it a tight grade. Most don't complain at $0.99 auctions, they simply adjust their bids.

:idea:

Edited by Fastballspecial

you can buy a new printer/scanner for $25. i just dont gettit.

its actually cheaper to buy a new printer every time ink runs out because refills are $75

Even cheaper to return printer every time ink runs out for full refund.

That'll show em

A good new printer or scanner is at least $100, though the mid-range nice ones are more like $150, and really good ones will go higher. You're right that an ink refill can be as much as $75, maybe more. Yes, it's a racket -- they suck you in on a decent-price piece of hardware and then gouge you on proprietary ink refills. But it would be very wasteful, not to mention a hassle, to buy a new printer/scanner each time.

I see this more and more now. Seller puts a picture up and says things like I am not a professional graders. Or see image for defects. Is this lazy? Lack of experience? Or just the easiest way to get out of grading a book?

I don't see a problem with the seller hedging on description by using phrases like this: "To me it looks like a VG+, but since there can be differences of opinions on some aspects of grading, please do your part and look over the photos carefully before placing a bid." It sounds wishy-washy but I think it's fair to ask the buyer to meet you half-way by giving things a look-over.

It shouldn't be hard for any seller to list basic flaws like: Rusty staples, staple pull-tears, spine splits, detached center wraps (one or both staples), tape, interior paper quality, bends/creases, strong odor, or anything that smacks of restoration.

I see this more and more now. Seller puts a picture up and says things like I am not a professional graders. Or see image for defects. Is this lazy? Lack of experience? Or just the easiest way to get out of grading a book?

I don't see a problem with the seller hedging on description by using phrases like this: "To me it looks like a VG+, but since there can be differences of opinions on some aspects of grading, please do your part and look over the photos carefully before placing a bid." It sounds wishy-washy but I think it's fair to ask the buyer to meet you half-way by giving things a look-over.

It shouldn't be hard for any seller to list basic flaws like: Rusty staples, staple pull-tears, spine splits, detached center wraps (one or both staples), tape, interior paper quality, bends/creases, strong odor, or anything that smacks of restoration.

I agree sometimes if I am not sure on a book I will say 9.4/9.2 to a strong 9.2

or VF+ 8.5 to possible VF 8.0 and then list defects. I see no issue with that at all.

or VF+ 8.5 to possible VF 8.0 and then list defects. I see no issue with that at all.

What if you get a buyer who says yeah that 9.2-9.4 is an 8.0 at best and hits ya with a neg?

What if you get a buyer who says yeah that 9.2-9.4 is an 8.0 at best and hits ya with a neg?

See you next Tuesday at Phil's? :shrug:

Then I ask him to return it. I don't negotiate at all. Just send it back all cover postage both ways so I can learn from it. You would be amazed the replies you get from that.

I ask him specifically what it was that he thought it was a VF from. Maybe I missed something. There is a chance to learn its all in how you approach it.

You usually know pretty fast if you have a nut job.

2 years ago I had a NM copy guy said wasn't NM. So I had him send it back to me. Came back a spine busted VG to me. Buyer switch.

I had one returned 3 or 4 years ago. The buyer told me the book was NM as graded, but he didn't like it. Nothing you can do there.

I had a set of Thanos Cosmic Powers Set crushed and I mean crushed 4 years ago whatever hit it sliced thru 1 inch of cardboard straight down thru 4 pieces then hit the bag, the board and crushed in a good corner of the books. Guy sent me pics I believed him and I refunded him.

This above is the price for doing business on ebay. It isn't perfect, but when you have good feedback and your buyers say good things about you, that result is customer coming back.

You don't get this overnight. You work at it, you try to learn, you get your handed to you in grading contest every year and you visit the PGM my book thread a lot. I sell on the forums as much as a sell on ebay. If I can get this cheap suckers to spend money ebay is a breeze.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Considering that the grade of a book is absolutely paramount in determining its value, the fact that many sellers aren't prepared to provide one is a wee bit lazy, and in certain cases an attempt to game the system. Many sellers also simply say "I'm no expert - check the pictures" without leaving any notes whatsoever. The reasoning behind this (the occasional picky, difficult buyer) becomes the get-out clause and allows for such passive-aggressive selling - "I can't be bothered to supply the grade or any notes about hidden defects, work it out for yourself, dammit".

Some do come to the rescue by actually letting you know that there are defects not visible in the scans or photos, such as amateur restoration, or that the centerfold is missing - it does mean the potential buyer will move on, but at least a headache has been averted.

And then there's the old canard about grading being subjective. If that is entirely the case, then why have a grading system at all, that has been honed and refined over the last several decades? If you're going to sell expensive books, and enter a developed marketplace that has given you the opportunity to sell stuff that you may not have realized was valuable, surely a week or two of research, asking questions on forums, and making some kind of an effort should be the minimum?

Grading is not subjective. There are enough people on this forum and others like it, CGC and its competitors, dealers at cons, collectors etc. who understand the grading system which has developed consensus as to what grades mean. There are plenty of sellers in our marketplace who I deal with who generally get it right (there might be a half-grade disagreement, but rarely anything more than that), which is why I've thrown so much money away here. :tonofbricks:

Learning to grade and what grades mean is not that hard. At the very least a passing conversance with it, enough to state "I think it is this grade" would be nice.

Considering that the grade of a book is absolutely paramount in determining its value, the fact that many sellers aren't prepared to provide one is a wee bit lazy, and in certain cases an attempt to game the system. Many sellers also simply say "I'm no expert - check the pictures" without leaving any notes whatsoever. The reasoning behind this (the occasional picky, difficult buyer) becomes the get-out clause and allows for such passive-aggressive selling - "I can't be bothered to supply the grade or any notes about hidden defects, work it out for yourself, dammit".

Some do come to the rescue by actually letting you know that there are defects not visible in the scans or photos, such as amateur restoration, or that the centerfold is missing - it does mean the potential buyer will move on, but at least a headache has been averted.

And then there's the old canard about grading being subjective. If that is entirely the case, then why have a grading system at all, that has been honed and refined over the last several decades? If you're going to sell expensive books, and enter a developed marketplace that has given you the opportunity to sell stuff that you may not have realized was valuable, surely a week or two of research, asking questions on forums, and making some kind of an effort should be the minimum?

Grading is not subjective. There are enough people on this forum and others like it, CGC and its competitors, dealers at cons, collectors etc. who understand the grading system which has developed consensus as to what grades mean. There are plenty of sellers in our marketplace who I deal with who generally get it right (there might be a half-grade disagreement, but rarely anything more than that), which is why I've thrown so much money away here. :tonofbricks:

Learning to grade and what grades mean is not that hard. At the very least a passing conversance with it, enough to state "I think it is this grade" would be nice.

:applause:

You don't get this overnight. You work at it, you try to learn, you get your handed to you in grading contest every year and you visit the PGM my book thread a lot. I sell on the forums as much as a sell on ebay. If I can get this cheap suckers to spend money ebay is a breeze.

100% correct. If you can sell here on the boards you will find E-Bay incredibly easy. You run into a couple more nut jobs and your chances of getting scammed jump up a bit but selling on E-Bay always seems to be easier simply due to the huge audience on E-Bay.