• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When selling on ebay, is it now okay not to grade them anymore?

140 posts in this topic

I see this more and more now. Seller puts a picture up and says things like I am not a professional graders. Or see image for defects.

Is this lazy? Lack of experience? Or just the easiest way to get out of grading a book?

I always thought that Lazy & lack of experience walk hand in hand

I see this more and more now. Seller puts a picture up and says things like I am not a professional graders. Or see image for defects. Is this lazy? Lack of experience? Or just the easiest way to get out of grading a book?

I don't see a problem with the seller hedging on description by using phrases like this: "To me it looks like a VG+, but since there can be differences of opinions on some aspects of grading, please do your part and look over the photos carefully before placing a bid." It sounds wishy-washy but I think it's fair to ask the buyer to meet you half-way by giving things a look-over.

It shouldn't be hard for any seller to list basic flaws like: Rusty staples, staple pull-tears, spine splits, detached center wraps (one or both staples), tape, interior paper quality, bends/creases, strong odor, or anything that smacks of restoration.

I agree sometimes if I am not sure on a book I will say 9.4/9.2 to a strong 9.2

or VF+ 8.5 to possible VF 8.0 and then list defects. I see no issue with that at all.

What if you get a buyer who says yeah that 9.2-9.4 is an 8.0 at best and hits ya with a neg?

The main thing IMO to consider for sellers that don't grade their comics is they are pretty much eliminating 40-60% of potential buyers. No matter what the reason sellers have for doing this they are going to toss away a lot of potential business. Like I said I would never spend any money on line with sellers that don't grade their comics. I think a high percentage of them (of course not all) are trying to over charge. Since there are ample sellers that do grade their comics I would much rather give those sellers my business.

Edited by raybowles

I see this more and more now. Seller puts a picture up and says things like I am not a professional graders. Or see image for defects. Is this lazy? Lack of experience? Or just the easiest way to get out of grading a book?

I don't see a problem with the seller hedging on description by using phrases like this: "To me it looks like a VG+, but since there can be differences of opinions on some aspects of grading, please do your part and look over the photos carefully before placing a bid." It sounds wishy-washy but I think it's fair to ask the buyer to meet you half-way by giving things a look-over.

It shouldn't be hard for any seller to list basic flaws like: Rusty staples, staple pull-tears, spine splits, detached center wraps (one or both staples), tape, interior paper quality, bends/creases, strong odor, or anything that smacks of restoration.

I agree sometimes if I am not sure on a book I will say 9.4/9.2 to a strong 9.2

or VF+ 8.5 to possible VF 8.0 and then list defects. I see no issue with that at all.

What if you get a buyer who says yeah that 9.2-9.4 is an 8.0 at best and hits ya with a neg?

The main thing IMO to consider for sellers that don't grade their comics is they are pretty much eliminating 40-60% of potential buyers. No matter what the reason sellers have for doing this they are going to toss away a lot of potential business. Like I said I would never spend any money on line with sellers that don't grade their comics. I think a high percentage of them (of course not all) are trying to over charge. Since there are ample sellers that do grade their comics I would much rather give those sellers my business.

The flip side is if you give grade and run across couple picky buyers that leave neg FB, there are plenty of buyers that wont buy from people with neg FB.

Connect to this. When you have purchased off of eBay, regardless of what the seller has said or not said, do you think you have accurately judged books. I have purchased about 5 raw older comics off eBay (for this discussion I am not counting new issue/variants purchased which should be high grade). For the most part I feel like I have gotten what I have paid for, and my grading via picture has been good enough to get within about 1 point of the actual grade. For example, I purchased what I judged to be a 9.0 based on photos, and it came back a 9.2. The books I have had a tougher time with base on photos is golden age where they have all come back one grade under what I expeted.

How much of that is a comment on my skill, being able to grade accurately from pictures, combined with what sellers say. I do think sellers tend to upgrade by 1 to 2 grades on average.

If there are good pictures it doesn't bother me. If I am at a convention most books don't carry a grade but may have a price reflecting a certain grade. Also, some dealers seem aggravated if you ask them to take it out of the bag and board so you can see it.

I'm curious if a seller claims he can't assign a grade how does that seller come up with a price? If a raw WD#1 sells for 2000 in NM do they sell it for 2000 regardless of the condition?

Start the auction at 99¢ and let it ride. That way, the public decides on what it's worth.

-slym

Thanks for your opinion.

-slym

I've gotten some decent books off eBay that were ungraded..... but usually decent pictures were available. I don't care so much if the seller assigns a grade, as I'm going to give it my grade once I have it. GOD BLESS.......

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If there are good pictures it doesn't bother me. If I am at a convention most books don't carry a grade but may have a price reflecting a certain grade. Also, some dealers seem aggravated if you ask them to take it out of the bag and board so you can see it.

I prefer it when dealers assign grades as (especially if you know the dealer and how they grade) it saves time. And dealers getting upset with you for wanting to inspect the comic aren't exactly professional.

I've gotten some decent books off eBay that were ungraded..... but usually decent pictures were available. I don't care so much if the seller assigns a grade, as I'm going to give it my grade once I have it. GOD BLESS.......

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Same here, and I do the same when buying in person. Doesn't matter what they grade the book, I'll grade it and judge it against their price, and if I'm happy, I'll buy it. For this to work on eBay they have to have lots of good pics or scans, but it's been pretty rare that I've been disappointed in a purchase.

IMO most sellers that do not assign a grade are trying to over-charge the buyer.

Patently untrue.

-slym

I disagree. I have heard and seen way to many horror stories. Again this is my opinion and I understand that some people will disagree.

Thanks for your opinion.

-slym

This guy is funny cuz he contacted me asking me to give grades then goes on and tells me he doesn't buy just because seller don't assign grades nor will he buy because seller provides scans.

Why did he even bother to contact me on my raws? I'm confused.

How I see it, if I assign a grade and when he received and doesn't like what my assigned grade is, he will blow a fuse...

Put him on ignore...

Maybe that's why some buyers are so adamant to get grades-it gives them an 'out' for a return or partial.

Maybe that's why some buyers are so adamant to get grades-it gives them an 'out' for a return or partial.

That's ridiculous. I haven't had a return for grading in at least 5 years and the one return I took the buyer agreed it was NM he just didn't like it. It does happen, but only if you don't do your homework.

Grade the book well and scan the book well the rest will take care of itself.

Sure there are cons on ebay, but the % goes way up when you are selling slabs I think. If you look in the ebay threads a larger % is involving a slab for all types of reasons.