• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When selling on ebay, is it now okay not to grade them anymore?

140 posts in this topic

I grade when I sell on eBay, but I tend to grade very conservation, or even under grade slightly to avoid people trying to return stuff on me. I provide good, pictures, and will disclose as best as possible any defects I see. So if I think a book is a 9.4, I will usually list as a 9.2 or even a 9.0, if I am a little shaky on the grade.

this is my problem with giving grades-you end up having to undergrade just to be safe. Then the books don't sell for what they could.

If only there were some service or business that would grade them for you to help you get an appopriate sale price.

I am not a store, and this is not the way I make a living. Everything I am selling is from my PC. I get keys and minor keys graded, in most cases, but when I sell runs of lower level comics, it is just not worth the expense to get things graded. Why should I pay to get 50 comics graded in a lot, which may be worth $100? With lower value comics the grading expense is just not worth the possible increase in final sale price. So about 90% of what I sell is graded. So no reason to be snarky.

I hate when I do my best to grade something and then the buyer disagrees by .2 points and wants a refund...yet he didn't ask for more pictures and just assumed I worked for cgc. This is why almost no one wants to even attempt to grade books they sell...it's too subjective. I don't think I'm assigning even an estimate anymore and I'm just going to say: view the pictures.

The return over a .2 disagreement on a cheap book is probably overblown though. I have at least 1300 separatw comic transactions on ebay and I think I have 5 or less books returned to me over a disputed grade. On 5-10 others i agreed with the buyer that I had messed up, missed something, whatever and we worked something out not a big percentage and I don't consider myself a great predictor of how cgc will treat a book, although in those few instances where I have said a book has 9.6-9.8 potential, folks are always happy... I do it so rarely because I'm not that confident. I just think 95% of eBayers assume a ballpark grade on a book into their bidding. Admittedly, I have been all over, experimenting with "high grade", etc and am back to specific numbers although sometimes I just do mid or low on a book I'm having trouble deciding on, but anything 6.5 or above I give a grade. 4.5-6.0 (and even 6.5-7) is really hard, I see CGC all over the place on that range. I have slabbed 6.5-7.0 books that look way worse than some 4.5-5s... I have no b idea why.

Curious as to whether people would prefer to buy a raw book with a thorough description and excellent pictures, or a slabbed book with a fuzzy image on ebay? I suppose it depends somewhat on the grade and price range, but let's say for a 9.0 or under book in the less than $500 price range.

^I'd generally favor raw.

In past few months I bought about 40 raw books, and 4 slabs (Av 1 in 3.5, Av 4 in 4.5, DD 7 in 7.0, and DD 168 in 9.4). Would've preferred the Avengers in raw but the slabs came up for sale at good price.

The 'biggest' raw book I bought is DD1 in VG-. All five specific books mentioned were on ebay from sellers that were new to me.

When buying, I do sometimes take a gamble if the price seems right. I picked up a copy of Harley Quinn Mad love that was described as a 9.0, and the pictures were marginal at best. I ended up getting it graded and it came back a 9.2. I also picked up a copy of Ms. Marvel #1 (1977) only described as high grade, but the pictures were very good, but there was a small defect with the book in hand that was very difficult to see in the photos. That one came back a very solid 9.6. So sometimes you do win.

Those are almost the exception that prove the rule however. Most books come back one or two grades lower than listed. I bid expecting that adjusting both my pricing and expectations when bidding on eBay raw copies. As for slabbed books on eBay, I am not as picky about good pictures as long as I can see and verify the serial number. With high value books as long as you have that info, the CGC main sight can be used to cross reference. But I generally look for at least a solid front and back picture.

Curious as to whether people would prefer to buy a raw book with a thorough description and excellent pictures, or a slabbed book with a fuzzy image on ebay? I suppose it depends somewhat on the grade and price range, but let's say for a 9.0 or under book in the less than $500 price range.

I much prefer to purchase slabbed books online now, because in my experience sellers often tend to overstate grade and I end up disappointed with what I receive. Even then it's not usually worth the hassle to return it and eat the shipping charges so I'm stuck with it. I usually only purchase raw if it's one I want for my personal collection in any grade or I'm willing to gamble on a low-cost book. Books graded "NM" seem particularly notorious for overgrading, as I've received them with defects ranging from several color-breaking creases to ripped or missing interior pages and water damage.

From a buyer's perspective, I want sellers to provide an estimated grade and several pictures. This gives a starting point and lets me decide from there. If I'm looking for 9.0 it saves the time reading through a 4.0 listing. An estimated grade gives a good starting point to review photos and decide for myself. Without an estimated grade there's no reference from the person who can see it in person. From there, sellers should include front and back photos at a minimum. A single fuzzy cover shot through a dingy bag with the bottom edge cut off in the photo doesn't cut it.

I much prefer to purchase slabbed books online now, because in my experience sellers often tend to overstate grade and I end up disappointed with what I receive. Even then it's not usually worth the hassle to return it and eat the shipping charges so I'm stuck with it. I usually only purchase raw if it's one I want for my personal collection in any grade or I'm willing to gamble on a low-cost book. Books graded "NM" seem particularly notorious for overgrading, as I've received them with defects ranging from several color-breaking creases to ripped or missing interior pages and water damage.

From a buyer's perspective, I want sellers to provide an estimated grade and several pictures. This gives a starting point and lets me decide from there. If I'm looking for 9.0 it saves the time reading through a 4.0 listing. An estimated grade gives a good starting point to review photos and decide for myself. Without an estimated grade there's no reference from the person who can see it in person. From there, sellers should include front and back photos at a minimum. A single fuzzy cover shot through a dingy bag with the bottom edge cut off in the photo doesn't cut it.

Great post.

Unfortunately other buyers do not see a listed grade as an estimate but as gospel. That's when the problems start.

I would rather there be high res, clear pictures and them not offering grade, them dimly lit, fuzzy pics with a grade. Or even the dreaded 'stock photo', and a grade.

But nobody forces you to buy anything, if you are uncomfortable when a grade is not given...don't buy.

I have been reading through this since the thread's inception.

I personally subscribe to the old model of scans with the older grading system for raws. G, VG, Fine, VF, NM. If I feel a book is between a grade I will say VF+ or VF-NM.

I cannot stand behind a point system as I have personally seen books come back higher on straight resubmits by a full point.

Recently acted as a third party in the sale of a book. The seller estimated the book at a 5.0. Both the buyer and myself estimated the book at a 6.0 with a 6.5 on a good day of drinking. The buyer has a history of some spot on grading.

Book came back a 7.5.

I feel it's safer all around to not guarantee an exact grade on eBay. On the boards, we act under the assumption of familiarity with the CGC grading process so it is a different story. Tuesday's 8.5 could be Wednesday's 9.0 and Thursday's 8.0.

I personally subscribe to the old model of scans with the older grading system for raws. G, VG, Fine, VF, NM. If I feel a book is between a grade I will say VF+ or VF-NM.

I cannot stand behind a point system as I have personally seen books come back higher on straight resubmits by a full point.

Recently acted as a third party in the sale of a book. The seller estimated the book at a 5.0. Both the buyer and myself estimated the book at a 6.0 with a 6.5 on a good day of drinking. The buyer has a history of some spot on grading.

Book came back a 7.5.

I feel it's safer all around to not guarantee an exact grade on eBay. On the boards, we act under the assumption of familiarity with the CGC grading process so it is a different story. Tuesday's 8.5 could be Wednesday's 9.0 and Thursday's 8.0.

I think you stated that really good. I'm going to follow this from now on.

Book came back a 7.5.

I think you stated that really good. I'm going to follow this from now on.

I agree...I'll buy into the whole 9.2 vs 9.4 vs etc thing when I start seeing 6.2, 6.4 etc. Til then my mindset as a seller and buyer has to vary to accommodate this reality, but I take it all with a grain of salt....Like Buzzetta said, resubmits can vary. Everyone is human. If your gut doesn't like the match between the book in the slab and the # in the corner, find yourself a different copy, or negotiate the price to your belief if you can. CGC (or anyone else's) service of providing an objective third-party grading opinion does not abdicate you from responsibility as a buyer (obviously, I know)....same thing with the raw eBay seller....please give me good pix, give your grading opinion, answer my questions about what cannot be seen....so I can make a responsible bid/offer as a buyer. For all the inherent limitations of virtual, not in person buying, it generally seems to work out well.

Book came back a 7.5.

+1000

-slym

Unfortunately other buyers do not see a listed grade as an estimate but as gospel. That's when the problems start.

If a seller states something like "Grading is subjective, but I personally grade this as Very Fine (VF), but you may not agree so see the pictures to grade for yourself" and also includes front/back/inside HQ pictures and lists several descriptions of conditions ("spine stresses, slight corner wear consistent with grade").

If the buyer gets the book and then disagrees with the grade, how can simply disagreeing with the grade prompt a "Not As Described" auto-return?

The book IS as-described.... the seller DOES think it's a VF and so it IS described accurately. Now, the buyer can disagree - but that doesn't mean the book is "Not As Described". I suppose a common way out for the buyer is to find a major defect that wasn't in the description (writing on a page, tear, interior stain, etc.) which would likely be "Not As Described".

I know I'm throwing snowballs at the sun regarding which way Ebay will land on a buyer saying the book is "Not As Described" simply due to a FN vs VF grade - but still.

Seller says it's VF and gives plenty of pictures and yet you think it's FN because the cover has a lot more ticks/wear than a VF should have.... that only means you two have very different grading criteria, not that it's not as described.

Now if the seller uses stock photos of "NM" books and sells 10 at a time so you never actually see the book you're going to get, (or only the front cover) and the description is very light on any details, then getting sent a FN/VF book with a bc stain or big crease sent to you could be grounds for a "Not As Described" claim.

I think those who don't put grades in the title are simply trying to get more people to look at their books. Put a FN/FN+ in the title and those buyers looking for VF might pass on even looking at it. Put no grade, and more people might look.

I put grades as I see them, and as I would want a seller to describe the same book if they were selling it to me. Only had one though that slipped past the goalie in over two years of selling - it had tape on back cover that I had inexplicably missed, but it was there all right. Gave full refund along with profuse apology and let him keep the book.