• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chamber of Chills 19 club of Misfits
1 1

60 posts in this topic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHAMBER-OF-CHILLS-19-CLASSIC-SKELETON-COVER-PRE-CODE-HORROR-HARVEY-MISFITS-NR-/291974993429?hash=item43fb10d615:g:aIcAAOSw6DtYVZzX

Is this what low grade complete copies are going for nowadays? Even with the rusty staples this sold for a strong price.

I know this book has been heating up over the past year, but I never expected low grade copies to be selling for close to 2k. Is this just an outlier or has this book surpassed even CSS 22 as one of the most sought after and priciest PCH books?

It seems as of right now that the demand is definitely outweighing the supply. Do more issues being placed on the open market bring this back down to a more realistic level? Or is this price point here to stay? Curious as to what you all think.

And just because there is no dedicated thread for this book, here is my copy :cloud9:

CoC_19_F_zpspbmkeexn.jpg

Edited by jjfversion1

I just have the mexican copy published in 1954 , i only know of 2 copies until now including this one , the other one was a lower grade and it was mine too (blessings always comes in twice) , i slabbed it with Steve Borock but i sold it to another collector and of course i am keeping this copy as my top 5 golden foreign books

ntI56AYh.jpg

Edited by Mijael.Levy

I just have the mexican copy published in 1954 , i only know of 2 copies until now including this one , the other one was a lower grade and it was mine too , i slabbed it with Steve Borock but i sold it to another collector and of course i am keeping thois copy as my top 5 foreign books

ntI56AYh.jpg

Love it. :applause:

I suppose I'm being Captain Obvious here, but PCH seems to go from strength to strength. A raw copy of Front Page 1 went for five times guide on HA last night. Also about five times what a CGC copy in that grade went for four years ago.

Truly scarce books and those with particularly cool covers seem to be leaving the guide and GPA in the dust.

It's a cool book. Just my opinion here, but it's not in the same 'category' as BC 50 or ToT 15. Nope. But to each his own.

Totally agree. It will always be BC 50 in the first spot, then ToT 15 in second.

The market feels differently though. Did you catch the 4.5 ToT 15 that failed to sell twice at auction on eBay, the second time at under $800? A CoC 19 in the same grade wouldn't last 5 minutes at a $800 BIN.

I don't think it goes back as far as Black Cat #50 as being a classic cover but it was already a popular one all the way back into the 1980's when the Misfits picked to use it so it has a long history now.

I think the interest in it is due to its more stylish "picture poster" look. It doesn't shock you with something like a head chopping or melting face and it doesn't even have the scare factor that something like Everett's Venus #19 provides.

What is does have is a clean look which is why I've seen it reproduced on a number of things from posters to shirts to whatever.

I wear a shirt with nice colour version of the original cover with a Misfits logo on it out and any number of non comic book people in public comment on its coolness factor. Yeah a few might be Misfits fans but most are not.

Google sometime how many shirts of that cover exist out there or how many people have tattoos of it.

I've always loved it and I'm glad I bought my current copy (CGC 6.0) even though it's about 3 grades below the copies I owned in the 1990's.

Edited by N e r V

I suppose I'm being Captain Obvious here, but PCH seems to go from strength to strength. A raw copy of Front Page 1 went for five times guide on HA last night. Also about five times what a CGC copy in that grade went for four years ago.

Truly scarce books and those with particularly cool covers seem to be leaving the guide and GPA in the dust.

I admit I've generally overlooked this book (which for a PCH completist is a grave mistake) and I still assumed I'd have a good chance on it, but forgot just how much hotter most scarce pre-codes have become (even ones that predate the pre-code era), coupled with Heritage's Sunday auctions becoming bargain-free with the format-switch.

It's a cool book. Just my opinion here, but it's not in the same 'category' as BC 50 or ToT 15. Nope. But to each his own.

As was mentioned before, it's become part of wider pop culture due to the Misfits. I like the cover (although I don't rate it as an out and out classic) but prior to the book taking off I never thought it would get so pricey simply because of that connection.

I have what a consider a pretty complete and comprehensive PCH collection. I have never owned a copy of this book. It has always been a little pricier than the other Harvey's. It has always been pretty available. I always figured I would find the right copy at the right price. I guess that ship has sailed and my run will forever be incomplete unless I get lucky...

I'll probably never own a copy of CoC 19, BC 50, ToT 15 or WT 25. They all have great covers, but at the prices they are selling for I'd rather spend the money on other much rarer pch classic covers.

It's interesting to see that in the 1994 Diamond Harvey file copy catalog CoC 19 was priced the same as other issues and ToT 15 was only listed with a small premium. BC 50 and WT 25 were sold out.

image_zps146iz7ri.jpg

I was late to the CoC #19 party but am very happy to have a VG copy. It's one of the few GA books I've paid top dollar for.

I'm crazy for the cover. The overall cover concept and the weird tension between the GGA and horror genres make it quite unique in my book. The linework and colors are wonderful. Of the similarly classic covers mentioned here, I'd place it slightly above the Black Cat #50, and well above the Tomb of Terror #15. The Misfits connection, while cool, doesn't mean anything to me personally. I think the cover easily stands on its own.

I was early to the CoC 19 party. First saw a HG copy on Harley's wall for $350.00. Liked it but thought the price was high, especially since the blacks seemed a little dull. Some time later Ha auctioned the Crippen copy which I got for a song. Even I was surprised at how little I paid. Don't know what I'd do now if I had to find a copy.

Always thought the cover had a mixture of understated elegance and menace. Not gruesome, which is refreshing.

Here's my copy.

chamberofchills19.jpg

For some reason, whenever I see CoC 19, I always think of Venus 19 too, despite the similarities being minor.

I like the way you describe this cover as having "a mixture of understated elegance and menace." I think it's a good way to explain its appeal.

I love this cover, but since PCH is not my focus it is one of those books that I would love to have, but don't foresee prioritizing in the near future.