• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chamber of Chills 19 club of Misfits
1 1

60 posts in this topic

I went after decent copies of Chamber of Chills #19 and Venus #19 a couple of years ago. Although I'm working on a Venus run of #9-19 I also consider both books as bookends to one another. I have to wonder if the Venus cover didn't at least "inspire" some of COC #19.

I'm here representing a dual minority: I'm a Misfits fan and a PCH fan and I don't get the cover at all. Just on Harvey PCH merits alone, it's not even in my Top 5.

Those, for reference, are:

1. Chamber of Chills 23

2. Black Cat 50

3. Tomb of Terror 16 (that's right-16!)

4. Tomb of Terror 15

5. Witches Tales 25

If we are talking about overall PCH, it isn't even in my Top 20. Not trying to disparage the book, but I just don't see it.

I'm here representing a dual minority: I'm a Misfits fan and a PCH fan and I don't get the cover at all. Just on Harvey PCH merits alone, it's not even in my Top 5.

Those, for reference, are:

1. Chamber of Chills 23

2. Black Cat 50

3. Tomb of Terror 16 (that's right-16!)

4. Tomb of Terror 15

5. Witches Tales 25

If we are talking about overall PCH, it isn't even in my Top 20. Not trying to disparage the book, but I just don't see it.

I sort of agree. Back when I collected PCH with classic covers I had your 1,2,4 & 5 choices and that was it for Harveys. I like the CoC 19 cover, more than the average Harvey Horror cover, but it never really demanded my attention. It was already demanding a bit of a premium in the late 90s due to the Misfits connection, and initially I thought that would fade with time, but demand seems to have only gotten stronger.

It's a cool book. Just my opinion here, but it's not in the same 'category' as BC 50 or ToT 15. Nope. But to each his own.

As was mentioned before, it's become part of wider pop culture due to the Misfits. I like the cover (although I don't rate it as an out and out classic) but prior to the book taking off I never thought it would get so pricey simply because of that connection.

It's been actively -ahem- hoarded by a few guys. Like, big time multiples.

It's a cool book. Just my opinion here, but it's not in the same 'category' as BC 50 or ToT 15. Nope. But to each his own.

As was mentioned before, it's become part of wider pop culture due to the Misfits. I like the cover (although I don't rate it as an out and out classic) but prior to the book taking off I never thought it would get so pricey simply because of that connection.

It's been actively -ahem- hoarded by a few guys. Like, big time multiples.

The pump and dump in PCH?

I look forward to them flooding the market. :insane:

I don't know if I'd agree with that.

LOST using that comic made its value today.

I would say the Misfits use of COC #19 helped but not made its value today. I think the Misfits use only carried its popularity to the mainstream non comic book audience.

A lot of collector's don't care about the Misfits and like it for its own merits.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252707213349?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks like the "2.5" that recently sold for a little over 8 smackers is back up for sale. Buyer looking to make a quick flip hm

Anybody who buys that copy needs to have his head examined.

I think you could carry that argument all over eBay daily. lol

I would say the Misfits use of COC #19 helped but not made its value today. I think the Misfits use only carried its popularity to the mainstream non comic book audience.

A lot of collector's don't care about the Misfits and like it for its own merits.

Mystery Tales 40, while still selling for multiples of surrounding issues, has dropped considerably in price in the last year or so. The whole title has seen softer prices, outside a few issues.

Mystery Tales 40, while still selling for multiples of surrounding issues, has dropped considerably in price in the last year or so. The whole title has seen softer prices, outside a few issues.

Yeah, as the show Lost fades from popular memory this book will level out to a more realistic price point.

A number of years ago a friend of mine was speaking with one of the crew of LOST in San Diego and asked how they came to pick Mystery Tales #40 for the show but for the life of me I don't remember their response.

Another thing to consider about the 2 books is Mystery Tales in no way features a classic cover. You can debate how much you like/dislike the cover to COC #19 but you can't dispute it has a following and is considered a classic cover to enough people to see its demand.

Most of the Harvey PCH books aren't that scarce (including Black Cat #50) so I'm always impressed when any gain high value because the demand has to usually be pretty high to get them there.

Edited by N e r V

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252707213349?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks like the "2.5" that recently sold for a little over 8 smackers is back up for sale. Buyer looking to make a quick flip hm

Anybody who buys that copy needs to have his head examined.

I think you could carry that argument all over eBay daily. lol

True, but this one being a recently graded PGX book gives it major train wreck potential.

A number of years ago a friend of mine was speaking with one of the crew of LOST in San Diego and asked how they came to pick Mystery Tales #40 for the show but for the life of me I don't remember their response.

Another thing to consider about the 2 books is Mystery Tales in no way features a classic cover. You can debate how much you like/dislike the cover to COC #19 but you can't dispute it has a following and is considered a classic cover to enough people to see its demand.

Most of the Harvey PCH books aren't that scarce (including Black Cat #50) so I'm always impressed when any gain high value because the demand has to usually be pretty high to get them there.

I would assume because of the "Hidden Land" story title on the cover, but would like to hear the reasoning if you can recall. As far as COC19, while I absolutely love the cover I initially sought it out during my black cover collecting faze. :shy:

Well I was a LOST fan during its run and I do remember all the fan sites posting that issue and going over page by page to see how it was suppose to impact the show but I seem to remember most of the stories could only be vaguely linked to anything on the show. You kind of had to force it into having anything to do with the show.

I write it off as another thing in the series that was introduced to entice you but never was explained or followed through on. Sadly the show was full of things like that. I don't believe the writers knew how to write a story with a beginning/middle/end that connected and flowed.

They seemed to make it up was they went and damn any plot holes.

Black cover? Yeah I should have pointed that out too.

Black covers=harder in grade=greater demand as a whole.

Good point. (thumbs u