• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Superhero Battle Stayed With You Emotionally?

55 posts in this topic

I realize that we've already had a thread with the best battle covers. However, I'm more interested with battles that lingered in your thoughts long after you finished reading the book. Battles that kept you going back and reading the same book over and over again.

I've made a list of the top 10 battles that had this affect on me...with an explanation. Unfortunately, even though I've read some great SA stories in the past couple of years, I just don't get the same sensation as when I was a kid or in my early 20's. That's the only reason why I'm not including SA battles on my list.

10.) Thor vs. Goliath (Avengers #277) - After Goliath and friends beat Hercules to a pulp, Thor really enjoyed beaing the [#@$%!!!] out of him. Loved the emotions with that whole story arc. The Avengers were by far my favorite Superhero team until the late 80's.

9.) Bane Breaking Batman's Back (Batman #597) - I'll admit that I'm not a huge DC fan, but I really loved the early issues of this great arc. Bane breaking Batman's back was the clincher after Batman went through hell battling other foes.

8.) Wolverine vs. Sabertooth (X-Men #213) - Great epic battle between 2 people that really hated each other. A good ending to the Mutant Massacre storyline.

7.) Venom vs. Spider-Man (ASM #300) - This was always one of my favorite issues. I loved the fact that the entire story was completed in one issue. I loved how dark the whole plot was, and that Venom was completely unrelenting (even beating the Black Cat to a pulp). I breathed a sigh of relief after that battle. I've gone back and re-read this issue several times.

6.) Superman vs. Doomsday (Superman #75) - I liked the shear all out battle between the two. Since we all knew Superman was going to die at the end, it did take away a little from the ending. Still something that I thought about for a while.

5.) Contest of Champions (#1-3). I always loved seeing battles between 2 heroes. Even though the final tally confused the hell out of me, it still made for some fun reading. Plus, it introduced me to some characters I'd never heard of before.

4.) Korvac vs. the Avengers (Avengers #177?) - As a kid I loved re-reading this story. Just a complete all out battle, with some tragic endings. The last few panels are great.

3.) Kraven's Last Hunt (ASM #294) - I can't believe how sorry I felt for the passing of a bad guy. After burying Spider-Man he really redeemed himself at the end. This was all about Kraven.

2.) Thor vs. Zeus (Avengers #285) - I probably re-read this battle more than any other. I just loved seeing someone as powerful and arrogant as Zeus get so frustrated because he wasn't able to keep Thor down. I always remember Zeus telling Thor and his shattered bones to stay down, while Thor would reply, "No, I will Not". Great stuff.

1.) Thanos vs. Marvel Superhoes (Infinity Gauntlet #4) - I think I read this book about 5 times within the first day to get all the details. Some great sacrifices were made in this issue. My favorite part is when Captain America is standing face to face with Thanos, while the Surfer is streaking down to take off his head. At the end Thanos ducks and says, "I can't believe I came so close to losing it all". Great insight into what a super-villain is thinking deep down inside. The most prominent super-villains have always been the ones with a little insight into their psyche (Magneto, Doom, etc.). I always hated reading books where you knew exactly what the hero was thinking, while the bad guy was just babbling without any logic. Even maniacs have reasons for what they do.

As a side note, my favorite cartoon moment was when the Juggernaut is about to pulverize Professor X (Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends), but Spider-Man webs him out of safety. As an 11-year old, that gave me goose-bumps because I was such a huge Spidey fan.

I'd probably go with Warlock's "death" at the hands of Thanos and his own soul gem in Avengers Annual 7 / Marvel Two In One Annual 2, which had been foreshadowed in an earlier Warlock issue (15, as I recall) as The Strange Death Of Adam Warlock.

In fact his entire battle with Thanos and the Magus in Strange Tales 178 - 181, Warlock 9 - 15 and the two issues above are the best thing Starlin ever did, not to mention the best story arc of the Bronze Age.

Always stayed with me, that series......

Elektra vs. Bullseye (Daredevil #181) "You were good, toots, real good. But me...I'm magic."

Daredevil vs. Bullseye (Daredevil #181) Bullseye gets what he deserves.

Wolverine vs. Shingen (Wolverine Limited Series #4) One word: "SNIKT". Still sends chills down my spine.

Wolverine vs. the Hellfire Club (Uncanny X-Men #133) Now it's Logan's turn, and boy, did he make the most of it.

X-Men vs. the Imperial Guard (Uncanny X-Men #137) How depressing was it to see the X-Men get thumped like that...Gladiator pulling Colossus' limp body out of the rubble.

As I may have mentioned before, my all-time favorite is Daredevil Vs Subby in DD #7. Daredevil still fighting on even though he is getting his butt whipped and by the end earning the Sub-Mariner's respect!

Of course one of my other favorites was FF #25 and #26, the first Hulk/Thing match up in FF #12 was great, but these 2 issues where just a well scripted thing of beauty!

Daredevil #181. I lingered on those silent two pages for quite some time.

Also, the triumphant, but still heartbreaking death of Ted Knight(the Golden Age Starman) in Startman #79(?). I don't know that the death of a hero has ever been handled with more grace and respect.

The issue in The Hulk where Adam Warlock is crucified. Of course,the fact that he re-appears in the very next issue reduced the emotional baggage.

An issue of Daredevil from the 70s(126 or 127?) where DD and some two bit villian completely wreck a house while the trapped family can only stare and pray.

The issue of The Thing where Ben fights the Inhumans to keep Quicksilver from exposing his baby to the mist that cause the Inhumans to mutate. Crystal doesn't want the baby exposed but Pietro doesn't want a "human" baby.Lockjaw sides with Ben and seemingly reveals that he was once normal until the mists turned him into the dog-like object he is.

The fact that now Byrne claims that issue was a joke didn't change the emotion one recieved,reading it off the stands.

As someone mentioned,the issue of Avengers where Thor kicks Goliaths [#@$%!!!].The emotional roller-coaster that we,as readers, had been thru the last few months and the sheer evil of the villians,it was a pleasure watching Thor hurt the big guy.Who knows how much that well deserved [#@$%!!!]-kicking helped to make Goliath see the evil of his ways.

I'm a gold-through-copper Marvel fan so this answer is surprising to me. After thinking about it, I would have to say the Superman vs. Captain Marvel battle in Kingdom Come. Maybe it was the realistic looking features of the drawings, but just seeing Captain Marvel say Shazam over and over again gave me chills. ( I know you're giggling ) but this did have an impact on me. Now I know that they stopped fighting at the last minute but it was still great. Number two would have to be the Superman-Batman fight in the Dark Knight story line. Both of these don't quite have the Bang Pow finish you would expect, and both of them happen in some form of alternate timeline or reality.

On a Marvel side I would have to say the extremely Rocky looking Thing finally beating the Hulk.

I'm glad to see the Avengers storyline from Avengers 273-277 mentioned. It's one of the best storylines of all time, from the savage beating of Jarvis to the pounding Hercules got, to the very emotional ending of Cap going through the wreckage of the mementos of the past taken from him at the end of 277, it was one of the greatest battles ever.

I think the stories in the 260-300 era of the Avengers are some of the best I ever read. Perhaps I'm biased because of the fact that I was a pre teen/teen when reading them, and I think that's when the stories in comics have their biggest impact on you.

- Galactus vs. Sphinx from FF #212 (the story ran from 208-212, I think, from looking at the covers at comics.org). Over the years, I've remember the dialogue more than the physical battle. Someone posted the pages from #212 on the boards recently, and it was the first time I'd read them in years. I was surprised how much of the dialogue I'd remembered.

I remember some actual punches/blows than entire battles. For example:

- The "Impact!" shot from the Thing on Galactus (Ben was sling-shotted by Reed into big G's face) in FF #243

- Gladiator slamming a city bus on The Thing in FF #249/250 (can't remember which issue) and knocking him out.

- The Thing's fight with Black Bolt in Thing #3. Not a huge battle, I just remember it.

- Iron Man's knockout punch on the Hulk in Iron Man #132. Two of the best panels from that age (bronze?).

- I also liked Superman's 1st battle with Doomsday. I thought it was very well paced.

I read the Infinity Gauntlet and Contest of Champions mini's recently, and they were disappointments for me personally. I guess they haven't held up well over time (for me, anyway).

I think the stories in the 260-300 era of the Avengers are some of the best I ever read. Perhaps I'm biased because of the fact that I was a pre teen/teen when reading them, and I think that's when the stories in comics have their biggest impact on you.

No doubt. That's why for me it's the Korvac battle from 177 instead of those Avengers that I was too "old" for. To see all those Avengers laid out, defeated and dying, really got to me.

The battle vs Ultron 10-15 issues earlier where the Scarlet Witch turned the day was big for me too.

But the first one that came to mind when seeing this thread was Sub-Mariner vs Hulk from Hulk 118. (I was too young to read that on the stands but the perfect age for when it was reprinted by Fireside.) That was an emotional one. Not only a great battle (subby's whirlpool attack, hulk grabbing his winged foot, the part where they've both just had enough and launch themselves at each other) but emotional with Sub-Mariner first losing his head but then walking away with class when he comes upon the dazed Bruce Banner.

Heady stuff! 27_laughing.gifcool.gif

Marc

P.S.--a little late for me but I always loved Avengers 220 or so when Moondragon has bedazzled Thor and the rest of the Avengers have to try and break him out of it, which to me culminates with a powered up Iron Man saying, "Stuff it Jerk" as he knocks him through about five columns.

I suppose that's also reminiscent of IM putting all his circuits into that punch that floored the Hulk ... and melted all his circuits. hail.gif

I remember two Spidey's battles standing out: vs. juggernaut in asm 229? where spidey's holding madame web? and where he takes out firelord and the avengers have to pull Spidey off tongue.gif

ASM#229-230 was the Juggernaut/Spidey battle. You're right, ASM#229 is the one with Spidey holding Madame Web on the cover.

The other fight you're talking about was ASM#269-270 (Spidey vs. Firelord). Just re-read that one a month ago while grading my books. Great battle! cloud9.gif

My favorite battles that stick out (in no particular order):

FF vs. Gladiator in FF# 249-250.

FF vs. Dr. Doom vs. Silver Surfer in FF#258-260.

FF vs. Dr. Doom (with Silver Surfer powers) in FF#58-60.

Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin in ASM#39-40.

Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin in Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine (1968) #2.

Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin in ASM#121-122.

Spider-Man vs. Juggernaut in ASM#229-230.

Spider-Man vs. Cobra & Hyde in ASM#231-232.

Spider-Man vs. Tarantula and Will 'O the Wisp in ASM#233-236.

Spider-Man vs. Hobgoblin in ASM#239.

Spider-Man vs. Vulture in ASM#240-241.

Spider-Man vs. Thunderball in ASM#248.

Spider-Man vs. Hobgoblin in ASM#249-251.

(Can you tell yet that I loved JR Jr.'s first run on ASM?)

Everyone vs. Thanos in Av. Ann. #7/MTIO Ann. #2.

Wolverine vs. Shingen in Wolverine Limited Series #1-4.

Daredevil vs. Bullseye in DD#159-161, 169-172, 181, 191, 200.

Daredevil vs. Elektra in DD#179.

Daredevil vs. the Hand in DD#174-176, 188-190.

Daredevil vs. Kingpin in DD#171.

Daredevil and Elektra vs. Bullseye in Elektra Lives Again graphic novel.

Almost every Avengers vs. Ultron battle.

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars (first series). Literally every issue. Read 'em all to death as a kid.

there's an ish from Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes - 224 - where the Legion fights this despot named Stargrave. Stargrave has this chick who melts stuff and a guy with three fingers who is his lickspittle. Lickspittle's grip "cannot be broken."

Well, the Legion - as they did back in those days - gets their butts handed to them. Superboy gets punched into outer space by Stargrave.

Later, when it looks like all is lost, an extremely pissed off Superboy flies into the chamber where the fighting is, and knocks Lickspittle aside like a gnat.

Course, Stargrave zaps him when Superboy tries to punch him, but that whole sequence was awesome the first time I read it. I couldn't remember a time when Superboy went bad-asss on somebody like that, and it was good.

Actually, there are a TON of LOSH fights that were great, including the LOSH Annual 1 when they fought Computo and quite possibly the GREATEST LOSH SERIES OF ALL TIME - the Great Darkness Saga, issues 287-294 when they went against Darkseid (!). Keith Giffen's greatest work IMHO