• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modern ASM #667 variant sells for $9K

429 posts in this topic

Yup, I think Spidey himself is fine.

I would have fewer qualms about this variant if it were a centennial. Marvel would be smart to do something rarer and badder by Del'Otto or the next hotter artist for #1000. But for a #667... I just can't picture Marvel sittin' back and going, "Welp, staff, let's enjoy this because we'll never try to out-do it. 667 is after all a sacred number dating back to Noah's Ark." That's not how the big boys think.

Never equate current popularity with guaranteed future visibility. Not in Modern.

That's reserved for AF15s and the like. Slow and steady...

If you take a look back at my BIN of this comic on eBay, it had close to 200 followers in a matter of one or two days. That to me means that this is a very popular item. I don't even see mid-grade Amazing Fantasy 15s with that much of a following.

Again, to the naysayers, you guys are pretty much removed from this conversation because you simply don't understand the concept of a rare comic that is clearly in-demand right now. You can say that all of these recent sales are undocumented, blah blah blah, but at the end of the day, none of that matters.

Here's a snipplet of the eBay messages I received:

"If ur willing to do 7k usd (direct sale if u want) plus shipping (usps priority international) declare the value at $100 so I dnt get slammed with duty and tax we can make a deal. Let me kno".

"I realize this is a very difficult item to find. I would like to respectfully inquire as to whether $8K is acceptable. I believe (again with respect) that this is where the price is right now per GPA appreciation." (hey, someone on this forum who did NOT get the comic will recognize this quote)

"Understood. If I made you the same offer of $8k and we did it direct PayPal, would that be enough for you to say yes?"

For this comic, GPA doesn't mean mess. I got one eBay message stating that they were close to a deal with another ASM 667 owner for $7.5K. Right now, after all this hoopla, I think that particular owner is strongly reconsidering the price point because there are at least two more people willing to pay at least $8K.

So two guys wanted to violate eBay's terms and conditions, with one also asking you to declare a false value? Such honest people trying to buy this book.

If you take a look back at my BIN of this comic on eBay, it had close to 200 followers in a matter of one or two days. That to me means that this is a very popular item. I don't even see mid-grade Amazing Fantasy 15s that much of a following.

Again, to the naysayers, you guys are pretty much removed from this conversation because you simply don't understand the concept of a rare comic that is clearly in-demand right now. You can say that all of these recent sales are undocumented, blah blah blah, but at the end of the day, none of that matters.

"If ur willing to do 7k usd (direct sale if u want) plus shipping (usps priority international) declare the value at $100 so I dnt get slammed with duty and tax we can make a deal. Let me kno".

"I realize this is a very difficult item to find. I would like to respectfully inquire as to whether $8K is acceptable. I believe (again with respect) that this is where the price is right now per GPA appreciation." (hey, someone on this forum who did NOT get the comic will recognize this quote)

"Understood. If I made you the same offer of $8k and we did it direct PayPal, would that be enough for you to say yes?"

For this comic, GPA doesn't mean mess. I got one eBay message stating that they were close to a deal with another ASM 667 owner for $7.5K. Right now, after all this hoopla, I think that particular owner is strongly reconsidering the price point because there are at least two more people willing to pay at least $8K.

I saw that. Over 50 views an hour for the day or so you had it live. :o

-J.

"No matter what it's worth in the future"... finally.

Psst, will be south of 9k. lol

How can you be sure of that?

I have zero dogs in this fight, but this book has all the makings of the unicorn that holds its value. Extremely high demand - there is an extremely high demand for this book - and an (apparently) extremely low supply. I keep coming back to the Batman 608 RRP - this strikes me as being exactly the same thing.

I do see some of the parallels, and you were eerily prescient with regards to 608RRP. The biggest difference from the 667 being the way the 608RRP was distributed obviously. The 608RRP has a very low print run, but, like the Saga 1RRP, a large percentage of those books have been slabbed.

While neither the Saga or Bats is remotely cheap, imagine if they had the same demand, but with one-tenth (or 200 less) slabs to go around, as the 667 currently sits. :ohnoez:

-J.

If you take a look back at my BIN of this comic on eBay, it had close to 200 followers in a matter of one or two days. That to me means that this is a very popular item. I don't even see mid-grade Amazing Fantasy 15s with that much of a following.

So two guys wanted to violate eBay's terms and conditions, with one also asking you to declare a false value? Such honest people trying to buy this book.

Honesty has nothing to do with it... it's a transaction between two interested parties.

You can get an amazing fantasy 15 cgc 1.0 for that price

Try a 2.5. If you are willing to accept a small amount of CT then you might go much higher.

You can get only 60% of an Iron Man 30 in CGC 9.8 condition for that piddly $9K amount. lol:screwy:

I have zero dogs in this fight, but this book has all the makings of the unicorn that holds its value. Extremely high demand - there is an extremely high demand for this book - and an (apparently) extremely low supply. I keep coming back to the Batman 608 RRP - this strikes me as being exactly the same thing.

Agreed.

This book COULD have the same future as Batman 608 RRP.

By the tine ASM 667 gets to the almost 9 more years under it's belt that B608RRP has, if it remains as scarce to the market as it is, the collecting community will probably accept it the same as they have the Bats.

The reasons WHY it's scarce will still most likely be unknown, regardless of whatever BS jay has continued to make up.

Curious... as you are an aggressive resell buyer... what would you currently pay for a raw NM-ish ASM 667 Dell'otto variant?

... does anyone own the Original Art for the cover or the inked lines? I am wondering what that would go for since that is one of one.

Probably not as much as the comic. I hear the actual comic is more rare.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Agreed.

This book COULD have the same future as Batman 608 RRP.

By the tine ASM 667 gets to the almost 9 more years under it's belt that B608RRP has, if it remains as scarce to the market as it is, the collecting community will probably accept it the same as they have the Bats.

The reasons WHY it's scarce will still most likely be unknown, regardless of whatever BS jay has continued to make up.

Curious... as you are an aggressive resell buyer... what would you currently pay for a raw NM-ish ASM 667 Dell'otto variant?

hm This is an interesting point you've made.

So here are some more "BS" data points for you to deny and/or talk around:

As of now, the ASM 667 Dell'otto is five years, five months old.

At this point in its "life", there are 29 slabs on the census.

Taking a look at Valiantman's brilliant CGC census utility website, cgcdata.com, and looking at the "slab rate" of the Bats 608RRP, we see that, by the comparable time in its "life" (five years, five months), it had.....

.....wait for it....

..... 179 slabs. :o

That's right, fully 150 more copies on the census. I'd be surprised if this book had even 100 slabs on the census total in another 10 years (and that would still be less than half its print run).

Yet more evidence of what makes the 667 such an aberration. There simply has never been anything like it either before or since. The combination of factors that led to its unprecedented rarity is the very definition of a "fluke". While "you" may not accept it, well let's just say that what you do or don't accept has literally no correlation or impact on or as to what the "market" has accepted a long time ago. (thumbs u

-J.

Been reading this as it transpires, and it's pretty damn enjoyable.

Continue..... :cloud9:

Seems like there is no middle ground. :popcorn:

Yes that usually happens when you have one side in either baseless, blind and emotional abject denial and/or relying on conspiracy theories like the well-worn "warehouse" one, and the other side which has actually done methodical research, due diligence, and studied and analysed all publicly available data points and metrics.

Come to think of it.....something about all this seems vaguely familiar. hmlol

-J.

You and me both buddy lol

Jerome

On one hand Im glad that the book is doing so well, on the other hand I cant believe that it's so rare. That there probably is unknown books out there in collections. Either way I'm in a drivers seat owning a raw copy anyway. (shrug)

Seems like there is no middle ground. :popcorn:

Yes that usually happens when you have one side in either baseless, blind and emotional abject denial and/or relying on conspiracy theories like the well-worn "warehouse" one, and the other side which has actually done methodical research, due diligence, and studied and analysed all publicly available data points and metrics.

Come to think of it.....something about all this seems vaguely familiar. hmlol

-J.

Someone who believes RMA has four, or is it five I've lost count, accounts on here should probably not be lecturing others about conspiracy theories.

Honesty has nothing to do with it... it's a transaction between two interested parties.

lol awesome