• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modern ASM #667 variant sells for $9K

429 posts in this topic

This seems to have become a circular argument and everyone is repeating themselves. Time to move on?

Welcome to boards! (thumbs u

(9/2015):

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8866047&fpart=1

(Seriously, I could have just posted this link and saved Comics General the nuisance of constantly seeing this thread bumped with all the nonsense and jibber jabber that ain't ever gonna change nothin either way anyway.

-J.

As someone that spends a lot of time in Modern, I'd just like to ask all of you fine folks from General to keep this thread going. It seems quieter there the last few days, there's been a down tick in the amount of... speculative fan fiction... concerning the providence and rationale behind a handful of rarer variant's "FMV".

:gossip: - as best I can determine, "FMV" is arrived at by taking the word of a handful of people who claim to have sold a specific book for an unsubstantiated sum in a private setting. I think they rely on the pinky swear to ensure veracity.

Hey in the thread that was linked (mine :acclaim: )

Jaydog was stating (a year ago) less than 200 copies

Now he's stating 225 total

That's a 12 percent increase in 16 months.

At this rate, in 9 more years the total amount of copies possiblly out there will be...

510 copies

We've found the 2nd case

:o

As someone that spends a lot of time in Modern, I'd just like to ask all of you fine folks from General to keep this thread going. It seems quieter there the last few days, there's been a down tick in the amount of... speculative fan fiction... concerning the providence and rationale behind a handful of rarer variant's "FMV".

:gossip: - as best I can determine, "FMV" is arrived at by taking the word of a handful of people who claim to have sold a specific book for an unsubstantiated sum in a private setting. I think they rely on the pinky swear to ensure veracity.

Since private transactions for such high-end items are on the rise, it will effect both Ebay and GPA. I don't think anyone cares if Ebay is gipped out of a percentage, but it will over time have a negative effect on GPA. For example, the last recorded sale of an ASM #667 in 9.8 was $1,100 in May 2013. This is of course now an outdated and even farcical reality.

If these private sales become a trend, GPA might have to consider accepting certified documentation from individuals to keep data relevant.

Jaydog was stating less than over 200 a year ago copies available

At this rate, in 9 more years the total amount of copies possiblly out there will be...

510 copies

We've found the 2nd case

Yeah. Got a lot more information and clarification over the last year and a half and made the appropriate adjustments to the data. Go figure ! :acclaim: Never fear though , 225 is the number. ;)

And please keep up the good work by starting these sales announcement threads for the book. You may be the biggest advocate of the book there is, without even realizing it. (thumbs u

-J.

Since private transactions for such high-end items are on the rise, it will effect both Ebay and GPA. I don't think anyone cares if Ebay is gipped out of a percentage, but it will over time have a negative effect on GPA. For example, the last recorded sale of an ASM #667 in 9.8 was $1,100 in May 2013. This is of course now an outdated and even farcical reality.

If these private sales become a trend, GPA might have to consider accepting certified documentation from individuals to keep data relevant.

+1

Ironically, they will report anything and everything that runs through ebay's API, but don't take sales data from heavy hitters like Gator and Bob Storms.

I've personally done plenty of off ebay sales with seller's there all the time, as I'm sure most of us have so it's pretty pitiful that that is even being brought up. And regardless, the 9.6 sale from seven months ago for $4k that is on GPA, (not to mention the $2k+ sale that was advertised by my buddy jsilverjanet in the other thread) easily supports a price point of probably at least $9k for a 9.8, given that it was the first one offered publicly since 2013.

-J.

510 copies

We've found the 2nd case

Yeah. Got a lot more information and clarification over the last year and a half and made the appropriate adjustments to the data. Go figure ! :acclaim: Never fear though , 225 is the number. ;)

And please keep up the good work by starting these sales announcement threads for the book. You may be the biggest advocate of the book there is, without even realizing it. (thumbs u

-J.

I mean, it almost doesn't matter does it? 100 of them, or 1000 of them, it isn't like the argument becomes any more sound at the newest (private sale) price of nearly $10,000. If people are really paying anywhere near that much for this book then there's no rhyme or reason that can justify it, they just have the money and they want the book, that's it :shrug:

I still personally believe that they need their head examined, but as I've said before, people outside of this hobby think we all need our head examined so there is that to consider when we start thinking it might be a good idea to throw some rocks at our fellow collectors.

Still... people don't really deserve to use the 'rules / drools' collection defense against something that defies all logic. By all means, collect it if you love it, pay what you want for it, but if someone suggests the emperor might be naked at least have the intellectual honesty to consider and even admit that they may be right.

+1

Ironically, they will report anything and everything that runs through ebay's API, but don't take sales data from heavy hitters like Gator and Bob Storms.

I've personally done plenty of off ebay sales with seller's there all the time, as I'm sure most of us have so it's pretty pitiful that that is even being brought up. And regardless, the 9.6 sale from seven months ago for $4k that is on GPA, (not to mention the $2k+ sale that was advertised by my buddy jsilverjanet in the other thread) easily supports a price point of probably at least $9k for a 9.8, given that it was the first one offered publicly since 2013.

-J.

Sorry, but specifically:

but don't take sales data from heavy hitters like Gator and Bob Storms.

When have we said this? There's an open invitation to dealers, and we work with many of them.

510 copies

We've found the 2nd case

-J.

I mean, it almost doesn't matter does it? 100 of them, or 1000 of them, it isn't like the argument becomes any more sound at the newest (private sale) price of nearly $10,000. If people are really paying anywhere near that much for this book then there's no rhyme or reason that can justify it, they just have the money and they want the book, that's it :shrug:

I still personally believe that they need their head examined, but as I've said before, people outside of this hobby think we all need our head examined so there is that to consider when we start thinking it might be a good idea to throw some rocks at our fellow collectors.

Still... people don't really deserve to use the 'rules / drools' collection defense against something that defies all logic. By all means, collect it if you love it, pay what you want for it, but if someone suggests the emperor might be naked at least have the intellectual honesty to consider and even admit that they may be right.

A slickly disguised but welll stated "rules/drools" argument nonetheless.

Collecting and life in general are so much more fulfilling when you don't worry about how other collectors spend their money. :cloud9:

Whether or not "you" think so, and irrespective of what "you" would do, this book is a trophy piece for A LOT of people,, and they're willing to pay for the privilege of owning one of just a handful of slabs that are out there, even more so a top of the census slab that only see the light of day years apart from each other. This is true in all Ages of comics, including the Modern Age.

Simple as that. So don't worry about it. (thumbs u

-J.

510 copies

We've found the 2nd case

-J.

Collecting and life in general are so much more fulfilling when you don't worry about how other collectors spend their money. :cloud9:

Whether or not "you" think so, and irrespective of what "you" would do, this book is a trophy piece for A LOT of people,, and they're willing to pay for the privilege of owning one of just a handful of slabs that are out there, even more so a top of the census slab that only see the light of day years apart from each other. This is true in all Ages of comics, including the Modern Age.

-J.

You are so hardheaded, it's somewhat adorable at this point lol

+1

-J.

Sorry, but specifically:

but don't take sales data from heavy hitters like Gator and Bob Storms.

When have we said this? There's an open invitation to dealers, and we work with many of them.

(thumbs u

-J.

510 copies

We've found the 2nd case

-J.

You got it buddy :thumbsup:

Allow me to put another quarter into the carousel.

While Jaydog may have lost a bunch of credibility in his earlier threads where he was speculating and speaking without a filter on how and why this book is rare (probably trying to figure it out to himself as much as trying convince others of what he was seeing or not seeing) there is merit in at least 2 things from Jaydog.

1. He is the only one who has claimed to have tried to track down the history of this book's print run. Whether or not he actually spoke with someone from publishing, printing, distribution, I have heard from no one else on here who has claimed to have tried to research it and report back with proof of a higher print run. Some of us just don't have that much time in our lives and there are probably lots of dead ends like the print or distributor records on the order for the #667 not being kept and frankly them not caring to keep track.

2. 29 slabs in 6 years for a book that sells in the $1000s is very low. Sure 6 years might seem too short for comics back before the internet era but in the internet and comic movie hype age, 6 years is an eon. There are more 9.8 copies in the census of some more significant Silver Age issues spideys that sell for less and those have had the opportunity for CPR resubmits.

Breakdown for 667 Dell Otto:

NM/MT: 14

NM+: 9

NM: 4

NM-: 1

VF/NM: 1

I think the proof is in the pudding or the census in the extremely short supply of low grade copies.

For a book that sells so well, why aren't we seeing more low grade copies in the census or raw on ebay? If the demand is so high and there are so many out there, people would be slabbing the lower grades as well like they do with WD 1 or even AF15s.

I hunt the HTF variants for fun. I seriously actively hunt for this particular book. There are only 2 other HTF modern ASM variants I've had a more difficult time finding in 9.8 but the difference is that I can find those 2 in lower grades more readily in the wild. Over the last 3 years I have been all over the US and Canada at shows, dealers, and poured through countless boxes of ASM and have NEVER come across a single 667 Dell Otto Variant in the wild. I hit every store in Chicago, Manhattan, Dallas/Ft Worth, Virginia (yes the whole state), DC, half of MD, Austin, Edmonton, Montreal, San Diego, Boulder, Denver, Phoenix, Boston, and St. Paul yet nothing. I was at Heroes con last year and like at many shows none of the dealers had ever seen one except one I spoke with supposedly spoke to a collector in attendance with a raw copy from their personal collection submit it to CGC which might have been one of the newest additions to the census but that was it. I have left lists with dealers and including big ones like My Comic Shop and Midtown comics and have never seen it come up in a notification. The only place I've seen it is on ebay once or twice a year or on here but at this point the cat is out of the bag and it ain't cheap. At this point, I will pour through a collector's modern ASM drek just to see if they might have a 667 Dell'Otto tucked away. Nothing yet.

Yeah, maybe these books are hiding tucked away in dealer backstock or storage or ASM collectors who don't yet know what they have or they do and not ready to part with it even for $9k. But if there are hundreds of copies in the wild, money talks and should be bringing more of them out especially the beat to hell copies.

This leads me to the following conclusions:

Either

1. This book does exist in the hundreds or thousands but everyone is hoarding theirs or are completely clueless about what they have.

2. There's a bunch of boxes of these stashed away (or were until something happened) in a warehouse somewhere that Marvel, diamond, Q4 printing hasn't gotten around to unloading despite all the hype.

3. There really are less than a few hundred copies.

Which seems like the more plausible explanation? How about this. How about a couple of challenges:

1. If you happen to locate the elusive #667 Dell Otto variant in the wild take a photo and post to show that it really isn't as rare or HTF as Jaydog, myself, and a few others seem to think it is.

2. Call, write, visit Marvel, Diamond, Q4 or whomever the printers in Canada, US, and Mexico were at the time and ask them if they can track down the total printed copies ordered/executed/delivered and see if you can locate them. Offer $10, 50, or maybe 100/copy as an incentive if they can provide you with at least 1 case.

Until then I'm still leaning on it being freakishly rare but hopefull that missing hoard will finally be discovered and come to market.

1. He is the only one who has claimed to have tried to track down the history of this book's print run. Whether or not he actually spoke with someone from publishing, printing, distribution, I have heard from no one else on here who has claimed to have tried to research it and report back with proof of a higher print run. Some of us just don't have that much time in our lives and there are probably lots of dead ends like the print or distributor records on the order for the #667 not being kept and frankly them not caring to keep track.

I spoke to my guy at Marvel about it (he doesn't want me spreading his name around, but trust me, he's The Man) and he says the print numbers getting tossed around here are way off. When I asked him 'higher or lower', he'd only say 'excelsior'.

I spoke to my guy at Marvel about it (he doesn't want me spreading his name around, but trust me, he's The Man) and he says the print numbers getting tossed around here are way off. When I asked him 'higher or lower', he'd only say 'excelsior'.

Ask him to ship you a case from "The Warehouse". (thumbs ulol

-J.

Allow me to put another quarter into the carousel.

While Jaydog may have lost a bunch of credibility in his earlier threads where he was speculating and speaking without a filter on how and why this book is rare (probably trying to figure it out to himself as much as trying convince others of what he was seeing or not seeing) there is merit in at least 2 things from Jaydog.

2. 29 slabs in 6 years for a book that sells in the $1000s is very low. Sure 6 years might seem too short for comics back before the internet era but in the internet and comic movie hype age, 6 years is an eon. There are more 9.8 copies in the census of some more significant Silver Age issues spideys that sell for less and those have had the opportunity for CPR resubmits.

Breakdown for 667 Dell Otto:

NM/MT: 14

NM+: 9

NM: 4

NM-: 1

VF/NM: 1

I think the proof is in the pudding or the census in the extremely short supply of low grade copies.

For a book that sells so well, why aren't we seeing more low grade copies in the census or raw on ebay? If the demand is so high and there are so many out there, people would be slabbing the lower grades as well like they do with WD 1 or even AF15s.

I hunt the HTF variants for fun. I seriously actively hunt for this particular book. There are only 2 other HTF modern ASM variants I've had a more difficult time finding in 9.8 but the difference is that I can find those 2 in lower grades more readily in the wild. Over the last 3 years I have been all over the US and Canada at shows, dealers, and poured through countless boxes of ASM and have NEVER come across a single 667 Dell Otto Variant in the wild. I hit every store in Chicago, Manhattan, Dallas/Ft Worth, Virginia (yes the whole state), DC, half of MD, Austin, Edmonton, Montreal, San Diego, Boulder, Denver, Phoenix, Boston, and St. Paul yet nothing. I was at Heroes con last year and like at many shows none of the dealers had ever seen one except one I spoke with supposedly spoke to a collector in attendance with a raw copy from their personal collection submit it to CGC which might have been one of the newest additions to the census but that was it. I have left lists with dealers and including big ones like My Comic Shop and Midtown comics and have never seen it come up in a notification. The only place I've seen it is on ebay once or twice a year or on here but at this point the cat is out of the bag and it ain't cheap. At this point, I will pour through a collector's modern ASM drek just to see if they might have a 667 Dell'Otto tucked away. Nothing yet.

Yeah, maybe these books are hiding tucked away in dealer backstock or storage or ASM collectors who don't yet know what they have or they do and not ready to part with it even for $9k. But if there are hundreds of copies in the wild, money talks and should be bringing more of them out especially the beat to hell copies.

This leads me to the following conclusions:

Either

1. This book does exist in the hundreds or thousands but everyone is hoarding theirs or are completely clueless about what they have.

2. There's a bunch of boxes of these stashed away (or were until something happened) in a warehouse somewhere that Marvel, diamond, Q4 printing hasn't gotten around to unloading despite all the hype.

3. There really are less than a few hundred copies.

Which seems like the more plausible explanation? How about this. How about a couple of challenges:

1. If you happen to locate the elusive #667 Dell Otto variant in the wild take a photo and post to show that it really isn't as rare or HTF as Jaydog, myself, and a few others seem to think it is.

2. Call, write, visit Marvel, Diamond, Q4 or whomever the printers in Canada, US, and Mexico were at the time and ask them if they can track down the total printed copies ordered/executed/delivered and see if you can locate them. Offer $10, 50, or maybe 100/copy as an incentive if they can provide you with at least 1 case.

Until then I'm still leaning on it being freakishly rare but hopefull that missing hoard will finally be discovered and come to market.

Nice, well though out post. :applause:

You described perfectly the frustration of many who have tried to track down this book over the years (including me).

-J

Ask him to ship you a case from "The Warehouse". (thumbs u

-J.

Stan, Stan, he's our man, if he can't find 'em no one can! Tell him I'll take 2 cases! :gossip:

:whee:

510 copies

We've found the 2nd case

-J.

-J.

Spot on. This is a comic book you sell to a niche audience. That niche audience will pay top dollar. Just like in Rolex watches where we find a certain niche audience would rather buy a Rolex over a Timex watch.

Also the completest Amazing Spider-Man collector will always want this ASM #667. I suggested to people on this board years ago to seek out the ASM variants because they reminded me of the .35 cent Star Wars #1 variant. There is going to be a run on these ASM variants over the next 5 years.

Good luck on the hunt.