• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did a boardie buy this Captain America Comics #1 today?

43 posts in this topic

Was looking at eBay this afternoon and saw a raw copy of Cap #1 for sale as a BIN or Best Offer.

BIN price was $45,000 but the center wrap is detached, and there's a small hole missing from the staple area of that page, slightly affecting some of the panel artwork. So I figured it might qualify as a 2.0 or something (though it looks more like a 4.0).

The book sold within 30 minutes after it was listed. Because of the way eBay displays sold comics, there is no way to tell if it sold for full BIN price or if it was sold at a lower Best Offer amount.

Anyway, did anybody here snag it? ( LINK TO EBAY LISTING )

167314.jpg.816bd992712e448226f6234558e8c990.jpg

167315.jpg.8ee72b9832cd2c7902ed4b570af360d7.jpg

167316.jpg.18ec2ddec421aaa476505b247ccf6efb.jpg

167317.jpg.b0c8575c8d17e773376fb7a4f93f1267.jpg

167318.jpg.3b542131c9b661eec4194f3f3656a3bd.jpg

Most likely went for the full BIN.

If you go to watchcount.com, you can plug in the item # and see the bid/offer history on the item. Shows one $15,000 offer that was declined, but no other offers. So I would tend to believe that it went for the full $45k.

I had to pull the trigger on it. Missed out on two of them last year so I couldn't let a 3rd one get away. Here is hoping for no surprises when it arrives. Any thoughts on how the centerfold will affect the grade? Any thoughts it gets an affect story note?

BIN price was $45,000 but the center wrap is detached, and there's a small hole missing from the staple area of that page, slightly affecting some of the panel artwork. So I figured it might qualify as a 2.0 or something (though it looks more like a 4.0).

From the attached pictures which you have posted, this copy definitely does not look anywhere close to a 4.0 graded copy. :gossip:

Unless you are talking about PGX grading, that is. lol

I had to pull the trigger on it. Missed out on two of them last year so I couldn't let a 3rd one get away. Here is hoping for no surprises when it arrives. Any thoughts on how the centerfold will affect the grade? Any thoughts it gets an affect story note?

Hey congrats on the buy man and wishing you the best of luck! If the only major problem is the centerfold, I'd take a guess and say the book would grade around a 2.0 as is right now and maybe a 2.5 bump if pressed. Great purchase for such an iconic book. Please let us know how it turned out when you get the book.

From the attached pictures which you have posted, this copy definitely does not look anywhere close to a 4.0 graded copy. :gossip:

I dunno, if it had the center wrap attached, and didn't have the torn spot, then I think the cover and pages are mostly in the 4.0 range, or maybe 3.5 due to some stains etc. The spine is solid, staples attached, nice colors, page quality is light, nothing on cover torn away, etc. I'm talking golden-age grading here.

Congrats, great book! But 45Gs and the guy charges you a 10 spot postage??? For that kind of scratch I'd probably hand deliver it!

By the way, if the centerfold isn't torn at the staples, you might be able to get it re-attached. I had Matt re-attach a CF once enough for it to get through the graders. Made a big difference since it was otherwise fairly high grade.

There isn't much you could do about the hole though. Re-attaching the CF might not make much if any difference.

Congrats, great book! But 45Gs and the guy charges you a 10 spot postage??? For that kind of scratch I'd probably hand deliver it!

By the way, if the centerfold isn't torn at the staples, you might be able to get it re-attached. I had Matt re-attach a CF once enough for it to get through the graders. Made a big difference since it was otherwise fairly high grade.

There isn't much you could do about the hole though. Re-attaching the CF might not make much if any difference.

Good point. Oddly enough I had Matt retuck a centerfold to a cap 2 for me. Only time I have ever done it so interesting that I may have to do it with a cap 1. Hopefully there is enough meat on it to re-attach.

I would be worried about that stain at the top of the spine being glue. I think it will certainly get a piece missing slightly effects art. That being said it was probably a good but in this market and it should clean up some. Congrats as you have done a great thing. Heres hoping there are no suprises but i dont know if i would have the balls to spend 45k on a raw book from a random seller.

James G

I dunno, if it had the center wrap attached, and didn't have the torn spot, then I think the cover and pages are mostly in the 4.0 range, or maybe 3.5 due to some stains etc. The spine is solid, staples attached, nice colors, page quality is light, nothing on cover torn away, etc. I'm talking golden-age grading here.

I guess it really depends if you are catching them on a soft grading period or a tight grading period. :wishluck:

I don't believe CGC would grade this in the 4.0 condition range based upon how they have been grading GA books recently. For example, if you take a look at the following 2 pre-Robin Tec's coming up in the next CC auction, they sure look nice, bright, and presentable, and yet they were only able to garner G/VG 3.0 grades:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=684452

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=676931

Of course, it looks like both of these books might have suffered from bad timing as they were graded back in the summer of this year, right when the Lasry books were also going through at the same time. With this many GA books going through their docket at the same time as their regular GA books, they were probably so far behind, they may have had to also utilize non-GA graders and ended up applying Modern Age grading to some of these books here. hm

Especially since GA books graded from this past summer certainly appears nicer relative to some of the previously graded GA books in supposedly the same condition. (shrug)

The books at the CC auction seemed like they were undergraded because of the strong eye appeal, but it could be the tape might be holding some or even most of the covers together. CGC did mention that when grading books with tape, they will grade it as if there was no tape at all. So with that said, unless you purchase the grader's notes, one cannot say with certainty whether CGC is just being strict on grading during that time period or if the tape had really something to do with it.