• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did a boardie buy this Captain America Comics #1 today?

43 posts in this topic

The books at the CC auction seemed like they were undergraded because of the strong eye appeal, but it could be the tape might be holding some or even most of the covers together. CGC did mention that when grading books with tape, they will grade it as if there was no tape at all. So with that said, unless you purchase the grader's notes, one cannot say with certainty whether CGC is just being strict on grading during that time period or if the tape had really something to do with it.

No, I believe if the tape was deemed to be holding something together, CGC would have specified it more clearly on the notes, as they did on this CGC 2.0 copy of 'Tec 36, also in the upcoming CC auction:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=695293

Now, this 2.0 graded copy looks to be a lot more in line with the Cap 1 in question, at least from a front cover eye appeal point of view. (thumbs u

I had to pull the trigger on it. Missed out on two of them last year so I couldn't let a 3rd one get away. Here is hoping for no surprises when it arrives. Any thoughts on how the centerfold will affect the grade? Any thoughts it gets an affect story note?

Congrats on your purchase of a big time GA key that will only continue to go up in value. (thumbs u

Definitely a landmark purchase and in years from now, you are going to have a big smile on your face and remember exactly where you were and how excited you felt when you first found and pull the trigger on this listing here. Very well done indeed!!! :applause:

The books at the CC auction seemed like they were undergraded because of the strong eye appeal, but it could be the tape might be holding some or even most of the covers together. CGC did mention that when grading books with tape, they will grade it as if there was no tape at all. So with that said, unless you purchase the grader's notes, one cannot say with certainty whether CGC is just being strict on grading during that time period or if the tape had really something to do with it.

No, I believe if the tape was deemed to be holding something together, CGC would have specified it more clearly on the notes, as they did on this CGC 2.0 copy of 'Tec 36, also in the upcoming CC auction:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=695293

Now, this 2.0 graded copy looks to be a lot more in line with the Cap 1 in question, at least from a front cover eye appeal point of view. (thumbs u

Got it, I see what you're saying (thumbs u I wonder then why the Tec 29 and 38 looked undergraded. Has to be something else going on in the interior, but I'm sure it would have been typed out on the label itself. Ah I dunno..

Here is a trick to determine the exact price the comic sold for. Because as someone mentioned if a best offer is accepted, the price will be crossed out and you will not know.

You want to click advanced search

Type in the broadest possible key word i.e. "CGC" or in this case "comic"

Choose Completed Auctions, so you get a bigger population

From here sort by highest price first. And then scroll down until you hit it. Generally if there are enough items/price points you will find it....

Hold on..............OK here it is. Sold for FULL Bin $45K

Also note scroll a little higher the IH 1 that sold for Best Offer. See how the BIN price was $69995 is crossed out but we don't see the number? Well it is sitting right in between two items with prices of $50K & $52.5K so that is where it sold.

Here is a trick to determine the exact price the comic sold for. Because as someone mentioned if a best offer is accepted, the price will be crossed out and you will not know.

From here sort by highest price first. And then scroll down until you hit it. Generally if there are enough items/price points you will find it....

Also note scroll a little higher the IH 1 that sold for Best Offer. See how the BIN price was $69995 is crossed out but we don't see the number? Well it is sitting right in between two items with prices of $50K & $52.5K so that is where it sold.

If you want to see the price that a book sold for on eBay, just go to the following website and enter the item number, in the bright yellow box to the right of "Keywords:";

http://www.watchcount.com/#serp

If you want to see the price that a book sold for on eBay, just go to the following website and enter the item number, in the bright yellow box to the right of "Keywords:";

http://www.watchcount.com/#serp

+1 I use it all the time

I think the comic is going to grade out 2.0 or 2.5 and hopefully blue. The piece out of CF is the problem. If it gets 2.0 or 2.5 it will be a very nice looking low grade comic.

You rolled the dice and it will be a few weeks to see how the roll turned out.

Congrats. I love it!

Any reason this would get a qualified label?

I wouldn't think so, at least not as a result of the piece missing from the centerfold. Given the condition of the rest of the book, the piece missing from the centerfold probably doesn't bring down the overall grade a whole lot, so I wouldn't think CGC would put it in a qualified label on its own (perhaps CGC would put it in a qualified slab if the slabber requested it, but I would think that it would be better to blue label it, rather than to put it in a qualified label with a slightly higher grade).

Just my two cents.

Any reason this would get a qualified label?

I wouldn't think so, at least not as a result of the piece missing from the centerfold. Given the condition of the rest of the book, the piece missing from the centerfold probably doesn't bring down the overall grade a whole lot, so I wouldn't think CGC would put it in a qualified label on its own (perhaps CGC would put it in a qualified slab if the slabber requested it, but I would think that it would be better to blue label it, rather than to put it in a qualified label with a slightly higher grade).

Just my two cents.

Right no matter what always go with lower grade blue slab.