• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,750 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm not sure what there is about this one, but it was love at first sight. 

1135358006a_zpsf5d4dc80.JPG

I dunno, I see a couple of reasons to like that one. As a whole run, I find Rangers not my real cup of tea. Not real fond of Firehair I guess. The war and jungle one are cool but the others leave me a little flat. That being said, I have the whole run of Firehair covers that have Baker interior art as well as a fair number of others including this beauty.

Are you still convinced Tony? At least pick up a few beaters with Baker art. Especially Sky Girl in Jumbo. 

I know everyone is very romance and cover centric when it comes to Baker, but you are really missing out if you don’t check out some of his interior work. He did some beautiful Friction House work.

11 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Are you still convinced Tony? At least pick up a few beaters with Baker art. Especially Sky Girl in Jumbo. 

I know everyone is very romance and cover centric when it comes to Baker, but you are really missing out if you don’t check out some of his interior work. He did some beautiful Friction House work.

Sky Girl in Jumbo is AMAZING!!! :tink:

3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

54 :x

Haha! Makes a lot of sense in retrospect, especially considering the notes from Grand Comics Database on the story related to the Jungle 54 cover: 

Keywords: "banishment; concealed nudity; crocodile idols; crocodile worship; disguises; human sacrifice; leopards; lions; medicinal herbs; signal drums; skills contests; snares; swimming; Temple of the Crocodile God; water buffalo"

First line of the story: "Wah! Kaänga catch mate as easily as white man catch ball!"

Seems like this pretty much checks off all the boxes!

~~~~~ and for anyone hankering for a peek at #54, click below. (Note: not my book.)

Spoiler

38711.jpg.0a2556dbf76220bf20d0507b225ee8b0.jpg

10 hours ago, adamstrange said:

I think Whitman created a nice cover or two.

PlanetSetSm.jpg

9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Combination of Whitman's work and the vivid colors that FH used during this period make these really stand out, imo.

Never understood why other publishers were unable to achieve the vividness of the colors on these books.  Maybe the printing process was too costly? hm

Dare I say...?

I love these 8 books. I love the colors on those Whitman covers, and many of the, um, shapes. But, IMHO, some of the women's faces look horsey, esp. on #67, and sort of #66 and #72. 

That said, I do like horses.

3 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Haha! Makes a lot of sense in retrospect, especially considering the notes from Grand Comics Database on the story related to the Jungle 54 cover: 

Keywords: "banishment; concealed nudity; crocodile idols; crocodile worship; disguises; human sacrifice; leopards; lions; medicinal herbs; signal drums; skills contests; snares; swimming; Temple of the Crocodile God; water buffalo"

First line of the story: "Wah! Kaänga catch mate as easily as white man catch ball!"

Seems like this pretty much checks off all the boxes!

~~~~~ and for anyone hankering for a peek at #54, click below. (Note: not my book.)

Hide contents

38711.jpg.0a2556dbf76220bf20d0507b225ee8b0.jpg

I never noticed those key words in the Database entries before. And it seems to be only in Jungle. That one seems particularly salacious. Sounds worth getting.

This just in: Jungle 11.

A low grade copy, with a 2x2-inch piece out of the bottom corner of the back cover along the spine, two 1.5x1.5-inch pieces out of the top corner of two interior pages, minimally affecting the art, and some assorted front cover wear and tear. But for these 3.0 grade flaws, I’m psyched to have 8.0 cover colors and ow pages. This is a nice example of how inconsistent the color strike could be at at Fiction House, presumably the initial batch of pages coming off the printings press had the the color vividness seen here:

C851D4A7-8673-4402-B32A-FD8192F880C2.thumb.jpeg.f12da029eb79b63c9cb4c5c5a29d71d5.jpeg

And as an example for comparison, the 8.0 Rockford:

Spoiler

62F1538A-C7E6-4614-8165-91CA02C6D209.jpeg.3b33e75aba7343b8e9956707eeb9125c.jpeg

On 2/17/2018 at 11:53 AM, Robot Man said:

A couple real purty new Jumbos. It's all about the color and gloss on these to me...

comjumbo78.jpg

comjumbo81.jpg

I don't think it is all about colors Robot :devil:

On 2/16/2018 at 3:22 PM, Zolnerowich said:

This just in: Jungle 11.

A low grade copy, with a 2x2-inch piece out of the bottom corner of the back cover along the spine, two 1.5x1.5-inch pieces out of the top corner of two interior pages, minimally affecting the art, and some assorted front cover wear and tear. But for these 3.0 grade flaws, I’m psyched to have 8.0 cover colors and ow pages. This is a nice example of how inconsistent the color strike could be at at Fiction House, presumably the initial batch of pages coming off the printings press had the the color vividness seen here:

C851D4A7-8673-4402-B32A-FD8192F880C2.thumb.jpeg.f12da029eb79b63c9cb4c5c5a29d71d5.jpeg

And as an example for comparison, the 8.0 Rockford:

Hide contents

62F1538A-C7E6-4614-8165-91CA02C6D209.jpeg.3b33e75aba7343b8e9956707eeb9125c.jpeg

Beauty!  Hard to tell for sure about the Rockford because the scan seems a bit muddy, but the colors on your copy do seem brighter.