• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,750 posts in this topic

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:22 PM, Zolnerowich said:

This just in: Jungle 11.

A low grade copy, with a 2x2-inch piece out of the bottom corner of the back cover along the spine, two 1.5x1.5-inch pieces out of the top corner of two interior pages, minimally affecting the art, and some assorted front cover wear and tear. But for these 3.0 grade flaws, I’m psyched to have 8.0 cover colors and ow pages. This is a nice example of how inconsistent the color strike could be at at Fiction House, presumably the initial batch of pages coming off the printings press had the the color vividness seen here:

C851D4A7-8673-4402-B32A-FD8192F880C2.thumb.jpeg.f12da029eb79b63c9cb4c5c5a29d71d5.jpeg

And as an example for comparison, the 8.0 Rockford:

Reveal hidden contents

62F1538A-C7E6-4614-8165-91CA02C6D209.jpeg.3b33e75aba7343b8e9956707eeb9125c.jpeg

One of FH's best, IMHO - I feel quite lucky to have a CGC 6.0.

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

One of FH's best, IMHO - I feel quite lucky to have a CGC 6.0.

Alright Steve. Bring on the kraken 6.0! (I think you posted it not too long ago, but "one of FH's best" -- which I agree with -- deserves an encore, any time, any thread!

4 hours ago, kelholt said:

11 is one of the coolest Jungles. I am a bit partial to Zolnerowich though.

930B2192-E119-4AFE-8F5C-4A00F8DCAAA4.jpeg

Such a great copy! Yeah, it's something about the color palette and the fearsome dinos and the prehistoric swamp that just knocks this book out of the park.

Hey Kelly, want some help fixing your Photobucket-crashed sig line? PM me if you're interested.

51 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

After taking an extended road trip courtesy of USPS finally got this bad boy I picked up from Rick.

image.thumb.jpeg.e3373ec929e74fbef9aa17fc87d4b419.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Congrats on that One Phil. 

When you have it in hand it is one of those books that is even better than the pics 

Hey Rick, I thought that book was one of your "I shalt never part with this book" sort of books? o.O;)

3 hours ago, Point Five said:

From the Point Five vault. :D  Technical grade is probably nothing to write home about, but I'm thinking this one's a tough find with cover reds that look like this.

fight42.jpg.8a52f386d7fc4a809d6403335046c470.jpg

Beautiful book!  Within reason, technical grades mean very little to me when colors like that come into play. There are so many high technical graded FH books out there with weak color that I hardly look at. When you see a book like this, grade goes out the window. I have many times, down graded books to get better color and page quality especially on FH.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:
5 hours ago, Point Five said:

From the Point Five vault. :D  Technical grade is probably nothing to write home about, but I'm thinking this one's a tough find with cover reds that look like this.

fight42.jpg.8a52f386d7fc4a809d6403335046c470.jpg

Beautiful book!  Within reason, technical grades mean very little to me when colors like that come into play. There are so many high technical graded FH books out there with weak color that I hardly look at. When you see a book like this, grade goes out the window. I have many times, down graded books to get better color and page quality especially on FH.

CGC marks a book down if it's obviously faded, but otherwise doesn't seem to take the vibrancy of colors into account when grading.  That's another area where their standards differ significantly from what collectors think as shown by the relative prices of copies that have the same CGC grade.