• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,750 posts in this topic

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:48 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Great copy Rick! Deep background colors not often seen! Especially pleasing to bring an old friend back home again - I know that feeling!

Even Tiger Girl was in trouble on the cover of Fight.

30808085984_cee826419a_c.jpg

14 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Planet Comics is part of the Fiction House line of comics!

Here’s a fairly early one (Nov. ‘42) that doesn’t get a lot of attention. Some nice violets and greens on the cover, plus one of Zolnerowich’s cooler horse-beast passenger mounts. And this is where the Lost World got its start; splash page with the first shots of Hunt and Lyssa (by none other than the inimitable Rudy Palais), later issues to be drawn with aplomb by Lily Renee.

29C6ECAB-7A32-4BC6-BF0E-F81322E2FA0E.thumb.jpeg.3c7aee72c51713e7da154124305a4c3f.jpeg

5C1EECE4-870D-474F-B731-2247E8182DE8.thumb.jpeg.e3c532941c4fa269125456e90864acf5.jpeg

Nice copy!

I bought mine purely for the very strong colors it has:

Planet Comics 21 front.jpg

19 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Planet Comics is part of the Fiction House line of comics!

Here’s a fairly early one (Nov. ‘42) that doesn’t get a lot of attention. Some nice violets and greens on the cover, plus one of Zolnerowich’s cooler horse-beast passenger mounts. And this is where the Lost World got its start; splash page with the first shots of Hunt and Lyssa (by none other than the inimitable Rudy Palais), later issues to be drawn with aplomb by Lily Renee.

29C6ECAB-7A32-4BC6-BF0E-F81322E2FA0E.thumb.jpeg.3c7aee72c51713e7da154124305a4c3f.jpeg

5C1EECE4-870D-474F-B731-2247E8182DE8.thumb.jpeg.e3c532941c4fa269125456e90864acf5.jpeg

Planet 21 was one of the first issues I ever bought, got it from Jim Payette way back in the day because I was intrigued by the Lost World beginning. I still have it.

Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed!

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Planet 21 was one of the first issues I ever bought, got it from Jim Payette way back in the day because I was intrigued by the Lost World beginning. I still have it.

Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed!

What a great name Thorncliffe Herrick is!  Somebody should make it his screen name. hm

13 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

What a great name Thorncliffe Herrick is!  Somebody should make it his screen name. hm

It is, isnt it? Apparently it was a house name (no surprise!), and one of the strip's writers was sci fi author Jerome Bixby, who later wrote scripts for the Twilight Zone and Star Trek(including Mirror Mirror, about a dark alternate universe that has remained a Trek trope to this day.)

And the artist was the great Rudy Palais...

PC21-36.jpg

3 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

It is, isnt it? Apparently it was a house name (no surprise!), and one of the strip's writers was sci fi author Jerome Bixby, who later wrote scripts for the Twilight Zone and Star Trek(including Mirror Mirror, about a dark alternate universe that has remained a Trek trope to this day.)

And the artist was the great Rudy Palais...

PC21-36.jpg

"Mirror, Mirror" is one of my favorite two or three Star Treks.  

1 hour ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Here is a bit of 'photoshop fun' showing the issues I have between #17 and #29 which are to me the heart of the title (though I could wish that #13 was consecutive with them). I've had multiple copies of these and the missing issues, just never all at once! Still holding out for the 'right' copies...

Planet #17 - #29.jpg

Deep rich pallet of Planet goodness