• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,701 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

I have seen the propeller spin torture a few times on the cover but this WW story is the first time I have seen it used in a story.

43256983911_a89aec564c_b.jpg

Hold on a minute....  a "mental radio message?!?!?!"  That's awesome....

On 7/12/2018 at 6:35 AM, BB-Gun said:

I have seen the propeller spin torture a few times on the cover but this WW story is the first time I have seen it used in a story.

43256983911_a89aec564c_b.jpg

A bit of comics.org sleuthing always pays off:

It's from Comic Cavalcade #6 (Spring 1944). Cover and details of story below.

4383.jpg.b26826302aae5b7c2053200c416abff1.jpg

The Mystery of Countess Mazuma!

Wonder Woman / comic story / 13 pages

-script:
William Marston [as Charles Moulton] (signed)
Pencils:
Harry Peter [as Harry G. Peter] (signed)
Inks:
Harry Peter [as Harry G. Peter] (signed)
Colors:
?
Letters:
?

Genre:
superhero
Characters:
Wonder Woman [Diana Prince]; Steve Trevor; General Darnell; Etta Candy; the Holliday Girls; Elva East (intelligence operative, introduction); Miss Tompkins (Elva's friend, introduction); Countess Mazuma (villain, introduction); Mazuma's friends (villains, introduction for all); Franco Mendez (villain, a spy, introduction)
Synopsis:
The disappearance of several girls, including an intelligence agent, leads Wonder Woman to a secret diamond mine where the girls work as slaves.
Reprints: 

Indexer Notes 

Writer credit from "The Secret History of Wonder Woman" (Jill Lapore, 2014).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND NOW BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED FICTION HOUSE PROGRAMMING...

29 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

new f.h. #1 thanks to one of my fave boardies!   thanks, PAL!!!!!

wings 1.jpg

The best kept secret about early Wings is the awesome art that lies in the pages :smile:

Fiction House question for the experts....its there an exact date at which FH fixed their production problems with colors?  From my casual observations it seems to coincide with Whitman doing a lot of the covers, at least I don't feel like I see as much variability with Whitman covers as I do with others. 

Trying to nail down a date for their books after which I can stop hunting for good color strikes of those particular issues.... if that makes sense.

14 hours ago, adamstrange said:

I think the colors are much better starting in 1948, which is a couple years before Whitman took over cover duties.

Thanks, I think you're definitely right in that the color issues were fixed prior to Whitman taking over.  The main reason I brought him and this issue up is because I had a dealer make what I thought was a rather disingenuous attempt to sell me a low grade copy of Ghost Comics at a premium due to its "good color strike."  Don't think I've ever seen a Whitman FH cover that had poor colors.

The FH title I've probably spent the most time looking at is Rangers and I cant quite make up my mind but the colors seem to get better and more consistent somewhere between 48 (Aug 1949) and  and 53 (June 1950) .. after which the problems seem pretty well resolved.  I didn't know if there was a pinpointed moment in time where they got new staff or equipment that was well known, or if the fix occurred gradually and perhaps wasn't applied to all titles at the same time? thus making it harder to determine.

Anyway, just wondering aloud if there was a date after which FH books were produced where  I could tell people...don't try to tell me this is a good color strike and I should pay more for it, etc.