• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,725 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2020 at 8:21 PM, Spyder! said:

Here is another one of those super tough early Jungles.  It’s a “well-loved” copy but I’m very happy to have it.

8AF9F156-891B-4CE2-A77E-FC4891C2B357.jpeg

Fantastic Zolnerowich cover! 

Don't mess with that Monster of the Dismal Swamp!!!

On 4/21/2020 at 5:48 PM, dannyboy said:

I see the Rockford Rangers 26 is on HA this week...and looking at it got me to thinking about the color variations on FH books in general and this issue in particular.  I'm attaching a picture of my 2 copies of this issue and of course, while I love the red of my 9.0 copy, my question is how is it possible these books all came from the same print run?  I get that colors fade over time, but this seems extreme.  Would appreciate any thoughts from the FH experts in the house.

IMG_4726.jpg

On 4/22/2020 at 11:19 AM, october said:

The Rockford Rangers is mine, so feel free to thrill bid or pick up a third copy. 

I was always under the impression that they rolled off of the presses that way. The initial copies got the best color, then as one of the colors in the mix ran out, the colors got lighter and lighter. Guessing here, but it's likely that that red is a mix of multiple other colors. Take one ink out of the mix and you get the Fiction House Orange. I don't think it's (generally) fading or unstable inks. 

FH ran a notoriously cheap/slipshod operation, so not shocked they didn't care much what the colors looked like. 

That is my understanding as well.

But if you look at dannyboy's two copies, the yellows and greens are fairly similar. This suggests to me that either the "M" in "CMYK" the color separation process (Cyan/Magenta/Yellow/Black) was selectively susceptible to fading, or more likely, Fiction House couldn't afford a lot of the Magenta ink (which might have been more expensive... though I'm totally speculating here), so as October said, later copies off the printing presses would lose their redness.

On 4/22/2020 at 12:46 PM, mwotka said:

Picked up a Jungle 9 recently which has a great Fletcher Hanks story.  Thought you would enjoy seeing it.  The idea of conquering NY with an army of giant panthers is just so out there!

Jungle 9.jpg

Jungle 9 Fantomah 1.jpg

Jungle 9 Fantomah 2.jpg

Jungle 9 Fantomah 3.jpg

Jungle 9 Fantomah 4.jpg

Jungle 9 Fantomah 5.jpg

Jungle 9 Fantomah 6.jpg

Jungle 9 Fantomah 7.jpg

Love it!! Fletcher Hanks was the best. Unbridled justice, he and his characters.

On 4/22/2020 at 8:19 AM, october said:

The Rockford Rangers is mine, so feel free to thrill bid or pick up a third copy. 

I was always under the impression that they rolled off of the presses that way. The initial copies got the best color, then as one of the colors in the mix ran out, the colors got lighter and lighter. Guessing here, but it's likely that that red is a mix of multiple other colors. Take one ink out of the mix and you get the Fiction House Orange. I don't think it's (generally) fading or unstable inks. 

FH ran a notoriously cheap/slipshod operation, so not shocked they didn't care much what the colors looked like. 

Well I did manage to pick up your lovely Rockford book sir.  Thank you for offering it up.  I suppose that means I need to move my undercopy.  I'd hate to be a hoarder.  Although lord knows this book really inspires me to become one.

1 hour ago, dannyboy said:

Well I did manage to pick up your lovely Rockford book sir.  Thank you for offering it up.  I suppose that means I need to move my undercopy.  I'd hate to be a hoarder.  Although lord knows this book really inspires me to become one.

Enjoy it!

I was extremely disappointed in the CGC grade. They hammered it for the dust shadows. I was expecting an 8.0 at minimum. 

18 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

This suggests to me that either the "M" in "CMYK" the color separation process (Cyan/Magenta/Yellow/Black) was selectively susceptible to fading, or more likely, Fiction House couldn't afford a lot of the Magenta ink (which might have been more expensive... though I'm totally speculating here), so as October said, later copies off the printing presses would lose their redness.

The Mystery of the Missing Magenta! Dont know if these links will be of interest but any port in a lockdown!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrian_purple

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magenta

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Henry_Perkin

3 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

This issue has some of my favorite pages in all of the Fantomah stories. Fletcher Hanks was a lunatic genius.

For the full story, go to Comic Book Plus at https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=39629

Here's a sampling:

480282623_ScreenShot2020-04-29at9_23_47AM.png.0f18546e9c81248d74e68fc4968b77cf.png

732087422_ScreenShot2020-04-29at9_24_40AM.png.53da0c27d868b61ffee47a59b63f7273.png

1676940147_ScreenShot2020-04-29at9_25_15AM.png.f972a8af55f42e69c218ceba5d65a288.png

448069326_ScreenShot2020-04-29at9_25_40AM.png.7641cfed9c5e6f207949212fef58f3de.png

64.thumb.jpg.a9f8712167134817be01c43f760383a7.jpg

@Zolnerowich Thank you for this! I was telling Sharon yesterday that I was going to crack it out and read it and she suggest to read it online lol I was like you are absolutely right  :)