• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,726 posts in this topic

It was a joke...ya nitz... :signfunny:

Of course it was, Brian! :foryou: I hadn't meant to suggest otherwise.

As for me being a nitz, unfortunately there is no denying it. I found the perfect definition:

'A Bossy show-off who can't stand not being the center of attention, a loudmouth person_too_unaware_of_social_graces who tries to order people around even through he's not a supervisor'

:sorry:

Hmmm....Thanks for the definition. I thought it was just a Jerky Boy name... :o

And I thought you missed the joke... :sorry:

I guess I'm special, cause I don't have any issues of Planet... :acclaim:

Edited by tricolorbrian

Is there any reference pictures for these fiction house comics? With all the color variation I would love to know what the publisher originally intended. Plus, I love the Planet covers.

Not aware of any specific source of reference. The only real clue seems to be that the more intense the colors, the more likely to be close to the original intentions. But that's just a general rule of thumb I use, with which others may disagree.

We may never be sure.

As for me being a nitz, unfortunately there is no denying it. I found the perfect definition:

'A Bossy show-off who can't stand not being the center of attention, a loudmouth person_too_unaware_of_social_graces who tries to order people around even through he's not a supervisor'

lol 'Jerky boy', that's me!

Hmmm...maybe the Jerky Boys never made it across the pond...here, listen to this:

Hmmm...maybe the Jerky Boys never made it across the pond...here, listen to this:

Bring in the tank!

Your witty comment made me realize that he is the only boardie I'm currently aware of [with the exception I just realized of Steve Fishler] with a complete set now that cheetah has sold up - unless mikephoen completed his (I've not seen Mike post anything new in a while).

jbcomicbox has the cover art to Planet #1. I'm not sure how many of the run he owns, but I think he has some Larsons. I also dimly recall he had some publisher's bound sets of much of the run.

Otherwise Mike is probably closest to completing. jhutton2, kelholt and I might just have a set between us. Along with Artboy99, I think that's about it for those of us for whom Planets are a specific collecting focus? Among dyed in the wool Planet collectors, who am I missing?

adamstrange has a wonderful group which is mainly Spokanes.

sacentaur has great copies of #1-#10, and at least two - #3 and #5 - are Larsons. [steve once posted a story about a guy who had a complete Fiction House collection many y ears ago, who had gone to prison for killing his wife, and sold his collection to make ends meet after his release.]

I'm not sure how many BangZoom has, but his copies of early numbers are great as well. Fifties seems to have a fair few, I suspect whomerjay, Inaflash, scrooge, jayman and October may as well, and last time I looked, so did Mr Bedrock.

skybolt sold his I believe.

I know there are many others with wonderful runs, so no disrespect intended to anyone I'm forgetting.

But are there any other complete sets on the boards? Or for that matter, off the boards that anyone is aware of?

hey, thanks for the mention. I have about another 25 or so issues to go to complete the run, mostly in the first half of the run. Most are already slabbed, with a few raws I intend to send in for grading. Its been an on going quest for quite some time. I do have an assortment of some very nice gems making up the books I have, with most books being in the 7.5-9.0 range. I still have a number of very challenging gaps to fill issue wise, as you can see in the bottom of my sig line. Getting closer though. Putting a lot more focus on completing this run recently, so hopefully I will have a complete set in the next 2-3 years.

Thought I would share this with the group, the results of a local auction house in the US that put up for auction an amazing GA collection, including some super sweet Planets.

I discovered this about two months after the auction ended, I still get nauseous thinking about the sweet deal I missed on this one. Scroll through the auction, it will probably make you feel sick too, unless of course you were the buyer of these books.

http://quinnfarmer.hibid.com/lot/20961166/planet-comics--15--november-1941-?cat=0&sort=6&hide=0&qs=0&view=0&aView=0&selCat=0

Thought I would share this with the group, the results of a local auction house in the US that put up for auction an amazing GA collection, including some super sweet Planets.

I discovered this about two months after the auction ended, I still get nauseous thinking about the sweet deal I missed on this one. Scroll through the auction, it will probably make you feel sick too, unless of course you were the buyer of these books.

http://quinnfarmer.hibid.com/lot/20961166/planet-comics--15--november-1941-?cat=0&sort=6&hide=0&qs=0&view=0&aView=0&selCat=0

Holy cow!

hey, thanks for the mention. I have about another 25 or so issues to go to complete the run, mostly in the first half of the run. Most are already slabbed, with a few raws I intend to send in for grading. Its been an on going quest for quite some time. I do have an assortment of some very nice gems making up the books I have, with most books being in the 7.5-9.0 range. I still have a number of very challenging gaps to fill issue wise, as you can see in the bottom of my sig line. Getting closer though. Putting a lot more focus on completing this run recently, so hopefully I will have a complete set in the next 2-3 years.

You're definitely closer than I realized. Between us we would have all but four issues - and lots of duplicates.

You're definitely closer than I realized. Between us we would have all but four issues - and lots of duplicates.

I have picked up a number of issues over the last 6 months of so.