• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,725 posts in this topic

Pretty excited about these books. Just about decided that the only way I can afford those early Planets is to buy them restored. These three came from the same bound volume (I think) and have had some excellent restoration work done to fix the glue/binding damage. Colors are pretty, so who cares about a few mm of paper being trimmed? Not this guy.

(BTW, anyone who has others like these you would like to sell, I'm your man - seriously)

This one is a 9.0:

Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comics%20009%201_zps2727bd28.jpg

These two are on their way to me right now, so I'll re-post new pictures once they've been released back into the wild:

Planet%20004_zps93bjmkaa.jpg

Planet%2005_zpsmnkpqll4.jpg

I was considering bidding on the #5, as my number 5 is a copy I want to upgrade one day.

I would like to get a Church Planet...any issue number.

As far as I know the run is still essentially intact.

What I was thinking, but thanks for the coroboration. I have wondered if we might eventually see them all in a CC auction...

It would be cool.

To my knowledge the run is missing a couple of books but I don't know for certain.

What I was thinking, but thanks for the coroboration. I have wondered if we might eventually see them all in a CC auction...

It would be cool.

To my knowledge the run is missing a couple of books but I don't know for certain.

It would be cool.

If they were ever sold, that is the most likely avenue. From what I hear, don't hold you breath that it will happen any time soon.

It would be cool.

I have heard it is missing 14 as well.

I was just looking at the Church list rob_react posted, which is based mostly, I think, off Chuck's initial catalog. Only one low-grade Planet is listed.

I assume that means they were sold off pre-catalog.

I was just looking at the Church list rob_react posted, which is based mostly, I think, off Chuck's initial catalog. Only one low-grade Planet is listed.

last I have heard is the run is owned by Stephen Fischler.

Burrel Rowe bought the run from Chuck in the very first purchase out of the collection. Burrel then blended those into his existing collection. There were a handful of his books that he felt were better than the Churches. He sold that complete run to Geppi in 1982 or so. Fischler acquired it from Geppi.

Burrel Rowe bought the run from Chuck in the very first purchase out of the collection. Burrel then blended those into his existing collection. There were a handful of his books that he felt were better than the Churches. He sold that complete run to Geppi in 1982 or so. Fischler acquired it from Geppi.

Fischler still has them. I inquired about purchasing the run from him several years ago but he would never give me a price. One thing I found interesting was that at the time , and I assume it is still the same, the #1 was not cgc graded. I have always wondered if the church planet 1 was restored in similar fashion as the church Fight #1.

Pretty excited about these books. Just about decided that the only way I can afford those early Planets is to buy them restored. These three came from the same bound volume (I think) and have had some excellent restoration work done to fix the glue/binding damage. Colors are pretty, so who cares about a few mm of paper being trimmed? Not this guy.

(BTW, anyone who has others like these you would like to sell, I'm your man - seriously)

This one is a 9.0:

Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comics%20009%201_zps2727bd28.jpg

These two are on their way to me right now, so I'll re-post new pictures once they've been released back into the wild:

Planet%20004_zps93bjmkaa.jpg

Planet%2005_zpsmnkpqll4.jpg

Congrats Jeremy! Some beautiful early Planets (thumbs u

A couple more get knocked off the want list today. Life is good. It's weird- that white streaking on the Wings shows up way more in the photo than it does book in hand. (shrug)

312B1A84-3C6B-45F7-8C5D-36F5B7FD49B0_zpsrb1frzym.jpg

1CA630B9-1944-4A5B-B4C2-87EC7DF4843A_zps92sn6mjr.jpg

Great stuff!

A couple more get knocked off the want list today. Life is good. It's weird- that white streaking on the Wings shows up way more in the photo than it does book in hand. (shrug)

1CA630B9-1944-4A5B-B4C2-87EC7DF4843A_zps92sn6mjr.jpg

Two nice books :applause:

Wings 94, has so much going on. Fantastic cover.

It is also one of few FH books where the girl in distress is looking at the reader (another is Planet 34).

Have always loved that GGA cover for Wings #94. Only one that I like better is the GGA cover for Wings #90. :cloud9:

Don't really care for how the printers cropped off the top edge of some of these covers for the later Wings during this time period though. :P

It's amazing what you can learn from some of these old-time dealers such as Richard. (thumbs u

I must say that Burrel had quite the eye for the best covers when he took his initial share of the collection from Chuck.

Since he blended some of his own copies into the complete run sold off to Geppi, does this mean that there are possibly some untraceable Church Planet books sitting in collections unbeknownst to their owners? hm

Fischler still has them. I inquired about purchasing the run from him several years ago but he would never give me a price. One thing I found interesting was that at the time , and I assume it is still the same, the #1 was not cgc graded. I have always wondered if the church planet 1 was restored in similar fashion as the church Fight #1.

I would assume that it is not just the #1 that has not yet been graded, but probably the entire run has not been yet been graded. No real point in grading something from my point of view, unless you are planning to sell it. (shrug)

Also not sure why you believe the Planet #1 might be restored simply because the Fight #1 had been restored. Especially since the entire Planet run, including issue #1, was pre-sold as a complete set and has basically stayed that way over the very few owners it has had. The Fight #1 most likely did not follow this same path into the marketplace. hm

I would assume that it is not just the #1 that has not yet been graded, but probably the entire run has not been yet been graded. No real point in grading something from my point of view, unless you are planning to sell it. (shrug)

Also not sure why you believe the Planet #1 might be restored simply because the Fight #1 had been restored. Especially since the entire Planet run, including issue #1, was pre-sold as a complete set and has basically stayed that way over the very few owners it has had. The Fight #1 most likely did not follow this same path into the marketplace. hm

When I inquired about purchasing them, they gave me cgc grades for a majority of the set. I wondered , "why would you grade a majority of these with cgc and not grade the most valuable/important one in the group?"... Hence my question of I wonder if it is R. Many reasons why it might not be graded, but this is one reason that is plausible.

Have always loved that GGA cover for Wings #94. Only one that I like better is the GGA cover for Wings #90. :cloud9:

Don't really care for how the printers cropped off the top edge of some of these covers for the later Wings during this time period though. :P

58950C34-07F9-4A47-9710-61A498247A33_zpswdpusyub.jpg

This one? Yeah, it's a fun one. A lot of my Fight Comics have had that cropped top too.