• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,701 posts in this topic

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:00 AM, Robot Man said:

Nice run to go after Billy.  I've got mine through #12 all at once courtesy of George Tuska.

wings1_zpsozv9jq6p.jpg

wings2_zpsh5zxsuyo.jpg

wings3_zpsyi4ekozc.jpg

wings4_zpslkmdsbqb.jpg

wings5_zpssojrxfus.jpg

[/URL]URL=http://s704.photobucket.com/user/comixtoys/media/bound%20volumes/wings6_zpshrmensae.jpg.html]wings6_zpshrmensae.jpg[/URL]

wings7_zpswdiknshr.jpg

wings8_zpsx27af14a.jpg

wings9_zpsjgjlxgft.jpg

wings10_zpsbsnoh3ol.jpg

wings11_zps7pp3eiuq.jpg

wings12_zpsbmo48qrt.jpg

wingsbook1_zpsih6gv5is.jpg

wingsbook2_zpsj7bwrbd8.jpg

absolutely wonderful!

The Ten Rarest Fiction House Comics (Maybe)

By Barry Sandoval, Heritage Auctions

See below for how we arrived at this list, but let's jump right in:

10. Jumbo Comics #8 (June/July 1939) 10. Jumbo Comics #8 (June/July 1939)
We've only offered three copies ever. A 1939 World's Fair cover makes this desirable. Gerber gave issue #8 a scarcity rating of 7, but that seems to be on the low side!
Jumbo Comics #33 9. Jumbo Comics #33 (November 1941)
The copy in the bound volume shown here is the only one Heritage has ever sold.
Jumbo Comics #3 8. Jumbo Comics #3 (November 1938)
The top Guide price of $6,800 has not done much to bring copies out of the woodwork. With the exception of the Mile High copy, we haven't seen one better than G/VG.
7. Jumbo Comics #4 (December 1938) 7. Jumbo Comics #4 (December 1938)
There's a good reason why the G/VG copy shown here sold for quadruple Guide. The book is a Gerber "8."
6. Jumbo Comics #27 (May 1941) 6. Jumbo Comics #27 (May 1941)
CGC has graded just two copies of this one.
5. The Spirit #5 5. The Spirit #5
Heritage has sold just two copies of this one ever, and we've never seen one in high grade.
4. Jumbo Comics #36 (February 1942) 4. Jumbo Comics #36 (February 1942)
We sold a Fair copy once ... once. CGC has only certified two copies to date (many thanks to dealer Dave Reynolds for permission to use his scan).
3. Rangers Comics #2 3. Rangers Comics #2
A Gerber "8." Heritage has sold only one copy in our history.
3. Rangers Comics #2 2. Jumbo Comics #5 (January 1939)
A Good-minus 1.8 is the best copy we have ever offered.
3. Rangers Comics #2 1. Jumbo Comics #7 (April 1939)
A Gerber "10." Other than the Mile High copy, the best copy Heritage has offered is a FR/GD.

Only comics with a 9.2 Overstreet value of $600 or above were considered for this list. Also considered were how many unrestored copies we have sold and how difficult the issue is to find in collectible condition. Note that no professional statisticians were consulted, and this is for entertainment purposes only!

As with their Fox list from awhile back, the list is entertaining but seems pretty random. I can believe them on the early Jumbos, but the 'later' ones they cite don't seem particularly harder than average.

Quick, somebody post a Rangers #2!  :wishluck:

25 minutes ago, Point Five said:

As with their Fox list from awhile back, the list is entertaining but seems pretty random. I can believe them on the early Jumbos, but the 'later' ones they cite don't seem particularly harder than average.

Quick, somebody post a Rangers #2!  :wishluck:

Here is the Back of my Rangers 2

IMG_9701.JPGOn my phone now, will post a picture of front later tonight. This one now resides in a CGC 6.0 holder White Pages. Highest graded. 

I read the list from HA and snickered. Yes early Jumbos are tough, but several other FH books that were left off. The list basically says 8 issues of Jumbo are in the top 10 rarities for the publisher hm

....Nah I don't buy it.

Edited by kelholt
Spelling

Their list mentions in the comments of books the number of copies they have sold. Seems their list is based on their own sales data. Some books are more popular to collect than others so books are bought and sold over and over again. Example planet comics 15

If you look at heritage sales results for planet 15 the same books are changing hands.

I wonder if that was considered.

Edited by Artboy99