• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,725 posts in this topic

Wow, very cool. I got to meet her at SDCC a few years ago. Very sharp lady and was astonished that any one would remember her work on those “old silly funny books” as she put hit. Sadly, I didn’t get her to sign anything but really enjoyed talking to her and being able to let her know how much I enjoyed her work. 

@Robot Man she was not very complimentary on the "hobby"/genre at all. She remembered SDCC and hated it. She considered herself a real artist and comics was a means to an end.....more to come

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Wow, very cool. I got to meet her at SDCC a few years ago. Very sharp lady and was astonished that any one would remember her work on those “old silly funny books” as she put hit. Sadly, I didn’t get her to sign anything but really enjoyed talking to her and being able to let her know how much I enjoyed her work. 

11 hours ago, Casablanca said:

My Dear Fiction House Fans,

I have told a few boardies on here, I have been working on a FH documentary/biopic. I have met and interviewed the incomparable Lily Renee (Phillips) in late May this year.. She is 98 years old. and besides Fran Hopper, the last living member of that era. Mrs Hopper sadly however, is demented and is not coherent at all. . Lily has lost a lot of her eyesight and is a bit( a lot) hard of hearing. But still has a memory like an elephant. She shared some incredible FH stories with me. Those stories only a fan of comic books and FH in general could ascertain ( yes i'm plugging myself). There is a documentary called " Lily" right now produced by Adrienne Gruben and on the festival circuit that is nice. But is more historical and about her amazing personal history.

I got dirt on all the other FH artists she had worked with. Think about them...Bob Lubbers...Matt Friggin Baker....etc..etc... Some nice...some NOT SO NICE....

Hoping to have this done by Jan 2020. For those of you in the filmmaking business, You know how long this takes. Here are a few production photos...thats a Planet 39 she's signing. No, there was no CGC witness, and i.dont.care....It's Lily Renee signing my comic!!!! and that's all that will ever matter to me.

lily.jpg

lilyme.jpg

Lillysign.jpg

lilysign.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing this!  I can't wait to see the documentary and hear her stories. What an exciting experience to sit down and chat with the master-artist.  Her work was really levels beyond most of her peers.

12 hours ago, Casablanca said:

I have told a few boardies on here, I have been working on a FH documentary/biopic. I have met and interviewed the incomparable Lily Renee (Phillips) in late May this year.. She is 98 years old. and besides Fran Hopper, the last living member of that era. Mrs Hopper sadly however, is demented and is not coherent at all. . Lily has lost a lot of her eyesight and is a bit( a lot) hard of hearing. But still has a memory like an elephant. She shared some incredible FH stories with me. Those stories only a fan of comic books and FH in general could ascertain ( yes i'm plugging myself). There is a documentary called " Lily" right now produced by Adrienne Gruben and on the festival circuit that is nice. But is more historical and about her amazing personal history.

I got dirt on all the other FH artists she had worked with. Think about them...Bob Lubbers...Matt Friggin Baker....etc..etc... Some nice...some NOT SO NICE....

Hoping to have this done by Jan 2020. For those of you in the filmmaking business, You know how long this takes. Here are a few production photos...thats a Planet 39 she's signing. No, there was no CGC witness, and i.dont.care....It's Lily Renee signing my comic!!!! and that's all that will ever matter to me.

lily.jpg

lilyme.jpg

Lillysign.jpg

lilysign.jpg

Amazing Robert! So envious you got to meet such an important person to the history of Fiction House and comics in general. Will look forward to your documentary when its complete! (thumbsu

11 hours ago, Casablanca said:

A woman looking like this in the 1940's...stunning. Think about what she might have endured and you would be correct..

LilyRenee.jpg

She really was a beauty not only with her art and thanks for posting just love this stuff (thumbsu

13 hours ago, Casablanca said:

@Robot Man she was not very complimentary on the "hobby"/genre at all. She remembered SDCC and hated it. She considered herself a real artist and comics was a means to an end.....more to come

That’s sad. A lot of artists were ashamed to admit working on comic books. Funny though because they have stood the test of time well. I can’t recall ever seeing any of her “serious” art but I imagine you will cover that.

16 hours ago, Casablanca said:

lily.jpg

lilyme.jpg

Lillysign.jpg

lilysign.jpg

Too AMAZING!! I'm not on these boards often but had to jump in when my hubby allerted me to this post! I'm beside myself with envy and joy for you that you were able to meet and talk with her! What an amazing story and I CANT WAIT to watch your documentary!!

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

That’s sad. A lot of artists were ashamed to admit working on comic books. Funny though because they have stood the test of time well. I can’t recall ever seeing any of her “serious” art but I imagine you will cover that.

She currently has her work in an exhibit in Vienna. Playing through October I believe. 

5 minutes ago, Casablanca said:

She currently has her work in an exhibit in Vienna. Playing through October I believe. 

Thanks so much for sharing this.  Such a talented and beautiful lady.  I look forward to your production very and I have to say I am jealous.  So few creators left from that era.  I have met a few.  Memories I am sure you won't forget.  

8 hours ago, Supernerd said:

Thank you so much for sharing this!  I can't wait to see the documentary and hear her stories. What an exciting experience to sit down and chat with the master-artist.  Her work was really levels beyond most of her peers.

That’s awesome!

Well...someone had to follow up Casablanca's amazing post with a cruddy cheap late run FH book.  Bought off ebay cheap and it was not advertised as the New Hampshire copy, but has what appears to be the telltale semicolon and year marking.  However its not in the typical thicker grease pencil that you normally see, at least not like it is in the couple of other NH books I have.

Kinda wonder if someone didn't just mark it themselves, hard to think it was the seller who would have done it as it wasn't noted in the item description at all.  Does anyone else have a NH book where the marking is kind of thin, or have an opinion?  

Wings102VFNH.jpg

6 minutes ago, szav said:

Kinda wonder if someone didn't just mark it themselves, hard to think it was the seller who would have done it as it wasn't noted in the item description at all.  Does anyone else have a NH book where the marking is kind of thin, or have an opinion?  

Pencils distributor marks are common in this pedigree so no worries on that end.  Whether the rest of marking is consistent with the pedigree I'm less able to assist.

7 hours ago, szav said:

Well...someone had to follow up Casablanca's amazing post with a cruddy cheap late run FH book.  Bought off ebay cheap and it was not advertised as the New Hampshire copy, but has what appears to be the telltale semicolon and year marking.  However its not in the typical thicker grease pencil that you normally see, at least not like it is in the couple of other NH books I have.

Wings102VFNH.jpg

I've never seen a NH with grease pencil.  Always pencil. 

1 hour ago, buttock said:

I've never seen a NH with grease pencil.  Always pencil. 

I didn't word that right, I meant its a much thicker stroke, as if from a blunter pencil... at least it is in the others I have.  It's hard for me to imagine someone would have faked the markings, but the other 3 I have clearly look different.  The 9 and the top mark in the semi colon don't look quite right.  Could just be the difference between a using a sharp and worn down pencil dunno.

Rangers52NewHampshirefvf.jpg

Rangers49cgc8.jpg

Rangers 46.jpg