• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Large Estate of collectibles & merchandise - need advice
3 3

118 posts in this topic

I think there's a bit more here than what some of you see, but the diamonds in the rough (actually real gold) are few and far between.

Most of this stuff is absolute garbage. Mass produced junk from the past 20 years. However, I want to point to a few items that you have pictured that have real value.

1. The Kenner Super Powers collection. I see at least four carry cases and the figures shown in the picture look to be complete and in good shape (for the most part). The Clark Kent is a mail order exclusive. Minimum, I see a few hundred dollars there.

2. The boxed corgi Superman vehicles are worth quite a bit. As much as $100 USD each.

3. Look at the Superman coin set again. That's the 2014 set from the Royal Canadian Mint. One is a 14K gold coin. The other three are silver. That coin set alone retails for $1300 USD.

I would take a closer look at the coin sets in particular. If there are other Canadian Superman coin sets, they all have gold coins. Could be a small fortune in coins alone.

Trying to find the positives in what looks like a horrible mess to deal with. (thumbs u

What I don't understand is why there are so many comic price guides, but no comics. It doesn't add up to me...

What I don't understand is why there are so many comic price guides, but no comics. It doesn't add up to me...

That was my thoughts when I was looking over the photos here. Makes no sense to have comic book price guides that many when there are so few and worthless books. Why waste money on guides? There must be something you are missing in the estate? (shrug)

There is more. :)

One of the biggest mistakes made in the estate/contents sale business is people overlooking things, so if the people who do it as a 9-5 job miss it, it isn't a stretch that a community of comic collectors would too.

And if it isn't bad enough when things gets overlooked, there's always a crowd of pickers who follow these contents folks wherever they go, and go through everything before the buying public ever has a chance to see it.

From the OP's post, these are just some items and not the entire collection, so I'd reserve judgement without seeing everything.

Sometimes people have like some drek books and suddenly All American 16 or something pops up.

Have a local auctioneer come in and just do an auction. Make sure it's on auction zip website and you should get dealers and collectors coming from 100 mile radius and sell it in lots.

This is not a bad suggestion, just make sure it's a reputable company. Buyers love using the site, but as the owner, the people will come regardless. If the auctioneer has a bad rep, avoid.

There is more. :)

One of the biggest mistakes made in the estate/contents sale business is people overlooking things, so if the people who do it as a 9-5 job miss it, it isn't a stretch that a community of comic collectors would too.

And if it isn't bad enough when things gets overlooked, there's always a crowd of pickers who follow these contents folks wherever they go, and go through everything before the buying public ever has a chance to see it.

From the OP's post, these are just some items and not the entire collection, so I'd reserve judgement without seeing everything.

We never made it to the upstairs - my phone was dead, it was already 8:30 at night and I didn't want to intrude on his widow any longer that night. Plus we had a bit of a snow event last Thursday night and I had an hour and a half drive to do.

If it's anything like the rest of the house, it's thoroughly "packed" :)

-bc

Over all its a cluttered collection. I see some nice stuff mixed in with Junk(sorry). I think it would be hard to get any real value out of it sold as a complete lot. The family has to decide whether they want to profit or just let the stuff go. Watch any type of Estate sellers closely if you go that route.

I have done this for family and friends too many times in the past couple of years. Every situation is different. The last one was a friends uncle who was a hoarder/collector. That was not fun but I helped the family make a couple of bucks and a few boardies got some cool items. Best wishes to the family.

This collection looks better every time I look at it. Some stuff that I missed the first time:

1. The Paper Mache Cleveland Indians Bobbleheads (there are two of them in one picture): $200 USD each. Highly coveted items from the 1960s. For example:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RARE-1960S-CLEVELAND-INDIANS-MINI-MINIATURE-GREEN-BASE-BOBBLEHEAD-4-1-2-NICE-/191991738823?hash=item2cb39971c7:g:Yc4AAOSwNRdX-wBR

2. The basketball is signed by Brad Daugherty and Chris Mills. It looks legit to me.

3. The Durham Batman water gun is really hard to find. It's worth around $100.

The more I look at the picks (and block out the less interesting stuff), the more value I see.

3. Look at the Superman coin set again. That's the 2014 set from the Royal Canadian Mint. One is a 14K gold coin. The other three are silver. That coin set alone retails for $1300 USD.

I would take a closer look at the coin sets in particular. If there are other Canadian Superman coin sets, they all have gold coins. Could be a small fortune in coins alone.

It looks like this is a fake Chinese knockoff set of these, but if they are real they are worth good money.

Also check other coins for any actual silver/gold. They are worth at least spot and most sell significantly over.

Those Superman rings are probably worth a couple hundred.

That Batman/Joker BTAS framed piece is probably worth at least a few hundred depending on what it actually is.

A lot of junk but a lot of stuff there is a market for as well. You just have to have a couple people sift through it ti separate the good from the bad.

The Mead 1970s Marvel stuff does REALLY well, especially lately. If those notebook paper packs are unopened, they're a nice piece to have.

Although there is a ton of dreck. I'd go with the auction route in the house - have a reputable auctioneer who knows collectibles do it, advertise on AuctionZip and some other places, and they'll do alright.

I saw a few gems in there, but mostly .

If you go the auction route, be sure to get the auctioneer fees in writing ahead of time. Some will do it for a straight percentage, but other will want to charge you a catalog fee, a photography fee and more. Also be sure there is internet bidding. That also means checking out the shipper the auction house uses.

Plenty of good choices in Ohio.

Robot Man may be able to help you with some stuff?He is pretty all knowledgable on the older stuff,pins,ect...

This is kind of sad really. This guy spent a fortune on this stuff that for the most part would bring pennies on the dollar to what he spent. Hopefully, it brought him joy.

What you showed, the Corgi cars, older action figures and a few items from the '60's like the Batman pennant and vinyl Superman wallet could bring decent money. The best thing I noticed was the 1940's Superman tin dime bank.

I wouldn't want the burden of dealing with all this stuff either for any price. I'm sure, if one were to go through all this stuff carefully one would find a few hidden gems. I can understand the family wanting to make it "go away".

As has been suggested, I think the best way to get rid of it all and get the most money for it, I would hire a competent local auction house to handle it. As long as they promote and pimp some of the better stuff, they might be able to do all right. People tend to get emotional and competitive in a local auction.