• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Large Estate of collectibles & merchandise - need advice
3 3

118 posts in this topic

That Batman/Joker BTAS framed piece is probably worth at least a few hundred depending on what it actually is.

Warner Brother Studio Store Gallery Motion Animation Cel. There should be a part in the back for batteries and the characters actually move.

The plastic Superman cape is the Super Powers mail-in cape, and is uncommon. When I sold mine I got $200+ for it which included the mailer & paperwork. I'm sure it's gone up since then.

Seems they have 2 choices:

1. Auction house - probably quickest term, decent FMV return depending on advertising

2. Appraisal service - little longer term, better FMV return

Was it not in St. Louis several years ago that they found a house where the comic books were worth a lot more than the house itself? hm

Unfortunately, this would not appear to be the case here from what we are seeing in these pictures. Not sure how fast house prices are accelerating in Ohio, but I imagine it's no contest here as to which one is more valuable.

Not sure if mentioned, but that box of Score 1989 football packs can go for $300 if a full box. Not alot of much else from that era of sports cards is worth much, but that would move pretty quick.

Good luck and thanks for helping out these people out. Reminds me to keep selling selling selling so my poor family doesn't have to go through this when I kick the bucket.

This collection looks better every time I look at it. Some stuff that I missed the first time:

1. The Paper Mache Cleveland Indians Bobbleheads (there are two of them in one picture): $200 USD each. Highly coveted items from the 1960s. For example:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RARE-1960S-CLEVELAND-INDIANS-MINI-MINIATURE-GREEN-BASE-BOBBLEHEAD-4-1-2-NICE-/191991738823?hash=item2cb39971c7:g:Yc4AAOSwNRdX-wBR

2. The basketball is signed by Brad Daugherty and Chris Mills. It looks legit to me.

3. The Durham Batman water gun is really hard to find. It's worth around $100.

The more I look at the picks (and block out the less interesting stuff), the more value I see.

The Indians bobbleheads in this collection don't look like the ones that you've linked to.

Given the rarity of the originals and that there are two of them in this collection makes me think that the ones in this collection are most likely modern reproductions.

Edited by pemart1966

Seems they have 2 choices:

1. Auction house - probably quickest term, decent FMV return depending on advertising

2. Appraisal service - little longer term, better FMV return

Was it not in St. Louis several years ago that they found a house where the comic books were worth a lot more than the house itself? hm

Unfortunately, this would not appear to be the case here from what we are seeing in these pictures. Not sure how fast house prices are accelerating in Ohio, but I imagine it's no contest here as to which one is more valuable.

Cleveland real estate has done pretty horribly.

There are plenty of cities around the country where the city will virtually give you a home if you are willing to live there, fix it up, and pay the taxes.

That Batman/Joker BTAS framed piece is probably worth at least a few hundred depending on what it actually is.

Warner Brother Studio Store Gallery Motion Animation Cel. There should be a part in the back for batteries and the characters actually move.

The plastic Superman cape is the Super Powers mail-in cape, and is uncommon. When I sold mine I got $200+ for it which included the mailer & paperwork. I'm sure it's gone up since then.

hm

There are plenty of cities around the country where the city will virtually give you a home if you are willing to live there, fix it up, and pay the taxes.

I've been looking at some local auction sites in midwestern cities. I've seen 3-bedroom houses sell for as low as $17k.

It's interesting how many are so quick to call it all junk and more trouble than it's worth.... and then go on to suggest it's been cherry picked already..... as if to imply things are missing? It already intimidates people by it's sheer volume. And the more that's added, beyond this point (and points way before) actually are 'viewed' as burdensome.

And the logistics of 'having' that much inventory.... is overwhelming! Just to separate the Hot Wheels, from the character watches, action figures, and then the sports cards... sounds like a job for Hake, rather than a 'comic' dealer?

If you ad up the apparent value of just the OPGs, they'd probably get to a grand. But I too think there's bookcase full of comics. But they may all be missing their value stamps!

If you were in the LA area, I'd say lug it out to Frank and Son and let all those dealers tell you how worthless it is! I don't know how those philanthropists stay in business? It's good thing they're only open 2 days a week in which to lose money!

It's interesting how many are so quick to call it all junk and more trouble than it's worth.... and then go on to suggest it's been cherry picked already..... as if to imply things are missing? It already intimidates people by it's sheer volume. And the more that's added, beyond this point (and points way before) actually are 'viewed' as burdensome.

And the logistics of 'having' that much inventory.... is overwhelming! Just to separate the Hot Wheels, from the character watches, action figures, and then the sports cards... sounds like a job for Hake, rather than a 'comic' dealer?

If you ad up the apparent value of just the OPGs, they'd probably get to a grand. But I too think there's bookcase full of comics. But they may all be missing their value stamps!

If you were in the LA area, I'd say lug it out to Frank and Son and let all those dealers tell you how worthless it is! I don't know how those philanthropists stay in business? It's good thing they're only open 2 days a week in which to lose money!

You need to buy it..... :banana:

I've been looking at some local auction sites in midwestern cities. I've seen 3-bedroom houses sell for as low as $17k.

And at the opposite end of the spectrum, we've got all of the residents here person_without_enough_empathying like crazy how their property taxes will be going up. Especially since their property assessments which everybody received last week indicated average increases in property values ranging from 30% to 50%. :censored:

A house for only $17K would sound fantastic for my kids and the younger generation, as opposed to an old house here on the poor side of town for $1.7M. :cry:

Break it down for us.

How many trucks would you hire to move it?

How many man hours to remove everything. I'm sure you have strong, honest guys just waiting your call.

What size storage facility are you renting? Are you aware most storage facilities limit their liability to $5,000 per unit. How much are you insuring this for?

How many racks are you buying to store these?

Congrats, you've gotten everything from the house to storage and are only how much out of pocket?

Now comes the fun part. How many man hours to organize it, and price it out?

How much out of pocket now, and you haven't seen sale $1.

Educate us.

You need to buy it..... :banana:

No he doesn't, he really doesn't. I've seen David's hord first hand. Believe me, this is the last thing he needs!

There's better ways to communicate.

Not really. Condescension is his default mode.

Just don't understand people like that. Miserable? What? I don't gettit.

I saw one that I sort of like is the Superman lamp. Would look great in my bedroom. :cloud9:

The lamp has the original share which is not common If it is not stained, it's an easy 100

Yeah? hm ... what the heck, I'd take up on that! If the OP can get the owner to let go for the price. lol

Would look good on my nightstand by my bed :cloud9:

Forget to mention that there are two lamps in the pictures. The one I was talking of is the one on the bookcase, the shade with the superman icon on it. I like it :luhv:

Edited by Fan Boy

Honestly I don't get the sense there is anything of value from what you've shown. I would bid very low. It's as much trouble as it's worth

Seriously. Some real nice stuff in there

I don't think anyone is saying there is nothing of value. However the sheer volume of drek would prevent most people from even making an offer, if it's a matter of all or nothing. Better uses of capital and time. Now, if I lived in that town and had a warehouse sitting vacant, it would be a different story. I'd much rather deal with the auction house and pay more for the items I want then deal with so much bulk.