• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scanning issues

28 posts in this topic

I have tried all the settings on my scanner - HP Scanjet 8250 - and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get rid of the "streaks" on this scan.

I do not have this problem with any other books and I'm thinking it can be either because of the black cover or maybe the way it is sitting inside the well.

Any help would be appreciated.

2uek2np.jpg

What are your settings on the color tab?

Black point 1

White .46

Brightness 1

I usually use this for all of my scans.

I can't remember off the top of my head what my settings are. I thought I had it saved in a Google Doc, but I can't seem to find it now.

With that said, this post might help. If not, there may be something buried in that thread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9642979#Post9642979

Since scans are composed of incremental snapshots of the item it looks like the light bar as it moves the length of the book. In addition since the "worms" are (from the bottom up) are concave, straight, then convex its something in the center of the books thats causing a reflection. Probably the well. This sounds ridiculous but based on the orientation of the worms I bet if you put a piece of painters or masking tape over his entire right arm from Spidey's neck to the end of his elbow the worms would disappear.

Since scans are composed of incremental snapshots of the item it looks like the light bar as it moves the length of the book. In addition since the "worms" are (from the bottom up) are concave, straight, then convex its something in the center of the books thats causing a reflection. Probably the well. This sounds ridiculous but based on the orientation of the worms I bet if you put a piece of painters or masking tape over his entire right arm from Spidey's neck to the end of his elbow the worms would disappear.

That was my original thinking too.

I will try and play around a bit more.

I even covered my scanner with a dark blanket and shut the lights to see if it was maybe some kind of light issue but no luck.

I even covered my scanner with a dark blanket and shut the lights to see if it was maybe some kind of light issue but no luck.

And I thought the tape was ridiculous! lol I can tell its a reflection off of some part of the slab because the lines on the worms are his arm being magnified. So there is probably a minor distortion in the well thats catching the light from the light bar. Even a sticky note over the arm would probably help you locate it. Not that its a permanent solution but at least you could pinpoint it.

It is the inner well,I have a couple of books that do that when scanned.

I have tried all the settings on my scanner - HP Scanjet 8250 - and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get rid of the "streaks" on this scan.

I do not have this problem with any other books and I'm thinking it can be either because of the black cover or maybe the way it is sitting inside the well.

Any help would be appreciated.

2uek2np.jpg

Sometimes you can have luck pressing down gently on the back of the slab while scanning. I doubt you'll be able to completely eliminate the glare, but you can probably reduce it.