• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE 2017 SKETCH COVER SUPER/MEGA THREAD
2 2

471 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2017 at 2:42 PM, bigcbass said:

Who did the Tank Girl?  I really like that one.  Hoping to get a Jusko Vampirella in Dallas this weekend!

It was Collette Turner. Thought it came out nice. Jusko is awesome. 

Here are two new ones from Ash.

First up is a piece I commissioned for WW Chicago before they canceled (bummer).  There was a Psych episode called "Saving Darth Vader" hence the blank used.  We added Corbin late due to his appearance at Salt Lake where it will be headed for his signature.  Hopefully the guys show up at some point.  I am sure they would get a kick out of this piece.  

9E604714-71F8-4827-B270-4EE2565FC84E_zps

Next up is what hat happens when your wife loves all things weather and you love comics. Everyone's lovable weatherman Al Roker running into the Storm with a NYC backdrop.

3B1C5D4D-C00D-4E1A-8813-1AEB40A22343_zps

Edited by ivdyer

12 hours ago, ivdyer said:

Here are two new ones from Ash.

First up is a piece I commissioned for WW Chicago before they canceled (bummer).  There was a Psych episode called "Saving Darth Vader" hence the blank used.  We added Corbin late due to his appearance at Salt Lake where it will be headed for his signature.  Hopefully the guys show up at some point.  I am sure they would get a kick out of this piece.  

9E604714-71F8-4827-B270-4EE2565FC84E_zps

The Psych cover is great. I agree - I think they would get a kick out of it. The show is coming back for a Christmas movie on USA, so maybe there's more to come.

This one took my breath away when I unboxed it.

Stunning. I like this piece better than almost any of his actual Spawn covers. I think he had a killer run with the series, and I had to see if I could land a commission.

This is one of my favorite comics now! Thanks to Philip Tan and his representative - Kirk Dilbeck. Special thanks to Doug Peters for doing all of the handling. Doug, I couldn't be happier with the grade! WOW!

Just over the moon. :cloud9:

Spawn 265 Gold Sketch Edition SS Tan F.jpg

That looks awesome!  Like it could be a sketch variant to a published cover.  Congratulations!

A few new books from CGC....kudos to the artists involved and Doug Peters for facilitating the process on all levels 

Adi Granov based off his Curse of the Mutants cover.  

EE3A6018-15CB-466C-9670-827E8AA75D69_zps

This one I posted earlier but here it is graded.  Ash Gonzales with a rare and only one to my knowledge signature from Tim Blake Nelson

14A3D7E4-EAAB-44D6-A91C-1A5FECEAD8EB_zps3C90EB38-6C53-4595-B1D5-5FB42CD097A7_zps

This one was an odyssey. Anyone that knows me knows that I am one of those that care about the grade to a fault.  Its a blessing and curse but my Type A personality serves me well in my profession but I have let go of some nice art because of the grade. Early in the year I took part in the John Timms sketch op via Doug Peters.  I commissioned X-23 and Old Man Logan.  I loved the sketch but it came back a 9.4.  John was liberal with the ink and the back cover was littered with ink spots and a small bend was present on the front cover.  I knew these things could be overcome so I added a Jae Lee Wolverine on the back and sent it for pressing.  Jae was pretty meticulous and covered everything he saw, hence the birds in the background.  The grade did improve but to a 9.6 with no grader notes.  Through the case I still noticed some stray ink and spine tick.  I spoke with my friend Ash Gonzales and we decided to give this cover another go with some addition of color which thoroughly cover the font and back cover.........and I could not be happier with the results.  Sometimes its not about the final product but the journey it took to get there.

A9FA5EFB-3950-4FA4-B1BC-E6F908D7BB1A_zps2078A65D-C089-4F69-9BE1-7B170064C90F_zps

Edited by ivdyer

Just back from a wonderful, crowded, awesome Fan Expo Canada (Toronto). My original cover of Negan by Frank A. Kadar had a blank back cover so when the opportunity to have Tony Moore sketch the back cover was available....I had to go along for the ride.

Tony Moore.jpg

Tony Moore sketch.jpg

WD Negan Kadar cover.jpg

13 hours ago, Ron C. said:

One more.... with today's mail call. Here are the final images of my recent commission with the incredibly talented Ash Gonzales.

WW Ash Gonzales Front.jpg

WW Ash Gonzales back.jpg

The man has yet to disappoint, great piece. 

And great front to back on the Kadar sketch, may jump up in grade with the back cover up but awesome piece nonetheless 

Got these done at Fan Expo Canada. 

All these are with cgc back to Florida for grading. I couldn't be any happier!

Iv'e wanted a sketch from Adam Hughes for years but he won't sketch on blanks so I lucked out and got a quick catwoman head sketch from him!

Also been a huge Zombie tramp fan since the begining. This is the second piece iv'e gotten done by Dan. I asked for a sexy Janey in catwoman cosplay and well he delivered! NSFW!!! Children look away!!

Third piece I got was from the ever talented and extremely beautiful Dawn McTeigue. This is my 3rd sketch from her now. I asked for a sexy but savage X23 and left a lot of creative freedom up to her. Suffice to say I'm beyond happy. She is actually turning this piece into an art print to sell and should be available at NYCC this year. This is the first time one of my sketches has been picked to turn into an art print. 

Again scroll down at your own risk! NSFW zombie tramp below!!!

Spoiler

IMG_2188.thumb.JPG.528cf89dba07f4d3e8879

IMG_2195.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

done

Edited by TheRealVenom

On 9/5/2017 at 10:29 AM, ivdyer said:

Ash took his time with this one.  It's an epic piece for Van Dyke and Rooker.  Went with the Mary Poppins theme, easily one of my favorites.  

B8BEBA57-946B-4ACD-B257-8B47D7BF50D7_zps

New to this thread. The Ash artist is great. Anyone have their contact info?

11 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

New to this thread. The Ash artist is great. Anyone have their contact info?

Ash is a personal friend and artist in Houston, TX. You can contact him here ashgonzo@gmail.com. Put Sketch cover commission from the CGC boards in the subject line and let him know Charles Dyer sent you 

59 minutes ago, ivdyer said:

Ash is a personal friend and artist in Houston, TX. You can contact him here ashgonzo@gmail.com. Put Sketch cover commission from the CGC boards in the subject line and let him know Charles Dyer sent you 

Ash is an incredible artist!!