• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NES Classic

125 posts in this topic

I kept looking for an NES classic but couldn't ever find one. I ended up in a retro store buying an actual Nintendo for $60 and Mario, first Zelda, and Ninja Tirtles for my son.

Been playing Mario all morning!

I was pretty young when this came out and was more into super. I don't remember that many games so I'm welcome to suggestions.

Contra and Mega Man 2

Still waiting to find one at retail. I can wait until the summer if I have to. Have any been found in the wild lately or are stores starting up their inventory check?

Still waiting to find one at retail. I can wait until the summer if I have to. Have any been found in the wild lately or are stores starting up their inventory check?

I was told last week in three stores that they still have lines the day it comes in off the truck and they sell out instantly.

Kids and I had a blast playing Zelda today. I'm thinking we might just replay the series.

I was told last week in three stores that they still have lines the day it comes in off the truck and they sell out instantly.

Kids and I had a blast playing Zelda today. I'm thinking we might just replay the series.

My understanding is that since the original NES was not designed for the current TV's that there are too many attachments and hardware modifications that need to take place.

Either way, I am liking the fact that there is a save feature on the NES Classic. That, and I am no longer at a time in my life where I want to blow dust out of a game to get it to work. I will probably still wait until I find it at retail.

My understanding is that since the original NES was not designed for the current TV's that there are too many attachments and hardware modifications that need to take place.

Either way, I am liking the fact that there is a save feature on the NES Classic. That, and I am no longer at a time in my life where I want to blow dust out of a game to get it to work. I will probably still wait until I find it at retail.

I had no issue hooking up the Nintendo to my TV. It had an audio/visual port on the side and I just plugged it right in. It looks beautiful on my tv too. They also change out something in the system and you no longer have to blow in it. I forgot what they change but most of the eBay listings will mention that it has been changed.

I did buy mine from a retro store though and it was serviced and guaranteed for 30 days.

I kept looking for an NES classic but couldn't ever find one. I ended up in a retro store buying an actual Nintendo for $60 and Mario, first Zelda, and Ninja Tirtles for my son.

Been playing Mario all morning!

I was pretty young when this came out and was more into super. I don't remember that many games so I'm welcome to suggestions.

l o l

Traded a couple raw variants +little cash to a friend who had an extra NES Classic. Got it up to 80 games, I hear I can fit about 10 more.

I also went full nerd and bought a 32" CRT TV as well. Hauling that upstairs was crazy by myself but thats where being tall helps, just bear hugged the *spoon* out of it lol. While it looks okay on my HDTV, there is a delay when I play Punch-out so I bought an HDMI to Composite (RCA) converter for the CRT. I also bought a NES MAX controller and an adapter "retro-fit" it onto the NES Classic. Just need to find a stand and I'll be set.

I'm hoping to use this as a Physical Therapy exercise for my toddler when he's ready in the next year or so. His right hand barely works properly because of the stroke he had when he was born, so a simple controller like this, plus video games may help to motivate him to use (and map pathways to the brain) his right hand. I'm thinking I'll just start him out with Tetris first for a while since that just uses either A or B.

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

I'm hoping to use this as a Physical Therapy exercise for my toddler when he's ready in the next year or so. His right hand barely works properly because of the stroke he had when he was born, so a simple controller like this, plus video games may help to motivate him to use (and map pathways to the brain) his right hand. I'm thinking I'll just start him out with Tetris first for a while since that just uses either A or B.

Jerome

Good luck with your little guy!

I had no issue hooking up the Nintendo to my TV. It had an audio/visual port on the side and I just plugged it right in. It looks beautiful on my tv too. They also change out something in the system and you no longer have to blow in it. I forgot what they change but most of the eBay listings will mention that it has been changed.

I did buy mine from a retro store though and it was serviced and guaranteed for 30 days.

It's usually the 72 pin connector and sometimes the lockout chip needs to be disabled. You can refurbish the OG 72 pin connector pretty easily as well. Long story short, because Nintendo felt that a western audience would be more comfortable putting cartridges into a system that more closely resembled a VCR. They went out of their way to make the cartridge slide in and then push down. This design makes for an awkward placement of the 72 pin connector and every-time you push down on the game, the pins bend a little. Blowing into the cartridge doesn't actually work, it's just taking the cart in and out will sometimes work if the pins are loose. The connector got damaged and the pins loosened over time especially when kids would leave a game in the down position when the console was not in use. I'm guilty :(

Traded a couple raw variants +little cash to a friend who had an extra NES Classic. Got it up to 80 games, I hear I can fit about 10 more.

I also went full nerd and bought a 32" CRT TV as well. Hauling that upstairs was crazy by myself but thats where being tall helps, just bear hugged the *spoon* out of it lol. While it looks okay on my HDTV, there is a delay when I play Punch-out so I bought an HDMI to Composite (RCA) converter for the CRT. I also bought a NES MAX controller and an adapter "retro-fit" it onto the NES Classic. Just need to find a stand and I'll be set.

Jerome

I had the delay problem too. Check your TV settings and make sure it's on game more. The new TV's have a delay built in.

Jerome

Good luck with your little guy!

+1

I got lucky the week before XMas. Walked into Best Buy early one morning to buy a couple surge protectors & the greeter at the door said they just got a shipment of NES Classic in & they were behind the reservation counter (limit 1 per customer). They only had 15. I texted my friend who works nearby & she rushed over with some work friends & they were able to buy one each too.

Does anyone play emulators online? I used to spend a lot of time on the Virtual NES site years ago, but it doesn't look like it's running anymore. The great thing was if you wanted to continue your game later they gave you a password to use. Came in handy for Zelda, Final Fantasy 2 & 3...

I found this emulator site which looks good:

http://emulator.online/nes/