• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NES Classic

125 posts in this topic

Right, I get the created hype but they don't get a cut by flippers and stuff. It seems to me more money would have been made creating a hype shortage in Sept and then having a mass release two weeks before Christmas. Im not for sure everyone that would have bought one for presents, parties, etc will buy one in March.

You guys know you can have a Wii, psp, and other devices modded to get just about every NES, gba, game boy, most 64 games, and more. Hell I have a Wii that has everything and burns any Wii game I find. My psp plays all those and Sega genesis and game gear titles too.

Funny, just had a friend talk to me about this recently. He was fed up with not being able to purchase the Nintendo NES mini and decided to get a raspberry pie and emulator. Now he has all the games he could wish for with the classic controllers for about 50 bucks.i'll probably be doing the same soon.

I keep watching for them at work. I bought one when it first came out but decided to flip it instead of playing it. Now I'm waiting for them to come back just like everyone else. I'll post if I hear anything.

Right, I get the created hype but they don't get a cut by flippers and stuff. It seems to me more money would have been made creating a hype shortage in Sept and then having a mass release two weeks before Christmas. Im not for sure everyone that would have bought one for presents, parties, etc will buy one in March.

I think thats why Nintendo is in so much trouble. They don't get it that it doesn't work in there favor. They believe they are creating hype and people will buy it in droves on there time. The reality is most people forget or hear bad reviews and it kills it.

You can be sure if they put out an SNES Classic next year, people are going to buy multiples so they're not left behind again.

Personally, if you don't have one yet, I don't think you're missing anything. If the selection covered all of the games I wanted to play, or allowed for expansion packs, I would've sold my loose cartridges, but it doesn't. Download the emulator and ROMs for free, and wait until the unit is back at retail if you really want one.

I won't pay more than retail, so I'm waiting for them to become more plentiful at the stores. I contemplated just going the RetroPie route with the old-school controllers (or waiting for someone to release an NES-looking Raspberry Pi case rather than the typical case. I just like the idea of seeing this NES-looking box sitting next to the TV.

You guys know you can have a Wii, psp, and other devices modded to get just about every NES, gba, game boy, most 64 games, and more. Hell I have a Wii that has everything and burns any Wii game I find. My psp plays all those and Sega genesis and game gear titles too.

This. In a world of mods and emulators, it seems crazy that people are paying so much for these. I'd pick one up at retail because I think they're cute and would look cool on the shelf, but as for playing, I'll stick with my modded X-Box. One of my friends has Everdrive versions of all of the classic consoles, and those are amazing, as you can load thousands of games onto a memory stick and then play the games through the original hardware. It's a good time to be a gamer!

This. In a world of mods and emulators, it seems crazy that people are paying so much for these. I'd pick one up at retail because I think they're cute and would look cool on the shelf, but as for playing, I'll stick with my modded X-Box. One of my friends has Everdrive versions of all of the classic consoles, and those are amazing, as you can load thousands of games onto a memory stick and then play the games through the original hardware. It's a good time to be a gamer!

I want it for the upscaling. Everdrives are nice, but it doesn't solve the problem of NES and SNES games looking awful on modern TVs. I could buy a CRTV, but I don't want an enormous 150 pound brick in my house. I tried a Retron 5, but it was a piece of garbage. Totally broken right out of the box. I should just break down and get a framemeister I guess.

I have one of these and it isn't worth more than $60. Also, make sure you buy a extension cable for the controller or you are going to have to be face to face with your TV to play a game.

Agree on the value. We picked one up and have played it a few times, but it just isn't that great. Maybe it needs better games all around or some of the old ones don't hold up that well - but we aren't that impressed. Controller cable length is a joke - they thought of making the extensions to sell separately, but didn't think people would prefer to have a longer cable in the game itself?

I have one of these and it isn't worth more than $60. Also, make sure you buy a extension cable for the controller or you are going to have to be face to face with your TV to play a game.

Agree on the value. We picked one up and have played it a few times, but it just isn't that great. Maybe it needs better games all around or some of the old ones don't hold up that well - but we aren't that impressed. Controller cable length is a joke - they thought of making the extensions to sell separately, but didn't think people would prefer to have a longer cable in the game itself?

Nintendo does not make the extension cables, those are 3rd party.

I want it for the upscaling. Everdrives are nice, but it doesn't solve the problem of NES and SNES games looking awful on modern TVs. I could buy a CRTV, but I don't want an enormous 150 pound brick in my house. I tried a Retron 5, but it was a piece of garbage. Totally broken right out of the box. I should just break down and get a framemeister I guess.

Good point. My buddy and I have been scavenging for great CRT's, mostly Sony Trinitron Wega's. You can get them for literally nothing these days, and the games look amazing on them.

Good point. My buddy and I have been scavenging for great CRT's, mostly Sony Trinitron Wega's. You can get them for literally nothing these days, and the games look amazing on them.

I've got a 32" JVC sitting in a closet in perfect condition that I tried to give away for free and nobody wanted it; all they had to do was come pick it up

I've got a 32" JVC sitting in a closet in perfect condition that I tried to give away for free and nobody wanted it; all they had to do was come pick it up

Of the four Wegas my friend bought, I think he paid $25 for one, but the other three were free on Craiglist to anyone who'd pick them up, just like you offered. So if anyone out there IS looking for a CRT TV to do your gaming, you've got no excuse, these deals are out there!

Altered Beast. Splatterhouse. Golden Axe. ToeJam & Earl.

:cloud9:

Altered Beast & Golden Axe :cloud9:

+2 love those games. I used to play them often in the arcades and at home with my step-brother's Sega Genesis. Would also put Shinobi into the mix.

Altered Beast. Splatterhouse. Golden Axe. ToeJam & Earl.

:cloud9:

Altered Beast & Golden Axe :cloud9:

+2 love those games. I used to play them often in the arcades and at home with my step-brother's Sega Genesis. Would also put Shinobi into the mix.

Altered Beast and Golden Axe were the first Genesis games I played on my friend's console, but Phantasy Star II was the one that put me over the top and make me ask for one for Christmas. Still love that game.

Somewhat pertinent to the discussion, I cohost a Youtube show about vintage gaming and beer, called "Bits and Brews". This episode is all about my friend Brian's vintage gaming room with his CRT TV's, Everdrive's, etc. If you've got some time to kill...