• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edgar Church Hits coming up on HA
1 1

321 posts in this topic

I will not bid on any of the Hits. Zero interest. Then again, I will not bid on the Tecs either as they will certainly end beyond reach :cry:

...It's none of my business..... but in my opinion.... what YOU should be doing is setting up a payment schedule for the 8.0 Detective 33 on Metro's site..... I know it's a little steep, but 10 years from now, that will all be moot. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Probably wise words, jimbo, but aint you heard?

This is the aint moot.

Only ents allowed.

Treebeard: We have just agreed...

[Merry and Pippin lean in]

Merry: Yes?

Treebeard: I have told your names to the Entmoot, and we have agreed you are not Orcs.

Pippin: Well, that's good news.

Treebeard: You must understand, young Hobbit, it takes a long time to say anything in Old Entish. And we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

Merry: [of the Entmoot] It's been going for hours.

Pippin: They must have decided something by now.

Treebeard: Decided? No, we have just finished saying "Good Morning".

Merry: But it's night time already! You can't take forever!

Treebeard: Now, don't be hasty, master Meriadoc.

Merry: We're running out of time!

I'm not pointing to every Church HIT in the upcoming auction as being over-graded nor am I arguing that they're not the best examples (at least the vast majority of them). Certainly the White page designation probably makes them the best in that category. Cover condition on a couple are suspect, but that's subjective.

Initially, I'd considered not posting anything about the Hits, nada, nothing at all, ...not wishing to insert unsolicited opinions since I've decided to eschew bidding..., but after critical analysis of the HA scans I felt that sharing my impressions would be the lesser evil.

I've gone out of my way to avoid derogatory comments about CGC's label or criticism of the grading, but I'll say this, after comparing scans of the Church books I'm reconsidering having several of my old CGC books regraded into clearer holders. Folks can read into that whatever they wish.

Peace, brother.

I appreciate anyone who posts frankly about books -- particularly what are likely to be very high-dollar books -- in upcoming auctions. I realize that some people believe it's inappropriate to do so out of respect for the consignor. But my sympathies are always with collectors and with those less in the know who might not realize that books may have problems that are not necessarily consistent with the assigned grades.

That said, I still don't quite understand what you are saying about these books. Is the first bolded statement above the gist of it? Some (many? one or two?) of the books have flaws on their covers that in your opinion means they are overgraded?

I'm also not sure I understand your point about having some of your books reholdered. I'm sure you know that reholdering does not involve regrading (unless books have been damaged in their slabs). Is there something about the way books are positioned in the new slabs that you don't like? My own view is that some GA books appear to be very tight in the new slabs.

Thank you, my friend. I'm glad some folks are taking my efforts in the spirit intended.

I have absolute respect for both bidders and consignors. My focus, respective of the Church HITs, has been on two things, grade assigned and how that impacts prior graded books. I won't go into specifics here.

I'm overly cautious about phrasing because this board exists at the pleasure of the CGC. While open discussions are encouraged in the Collector's Society credo, the reality has been to marginalize or remove anything construed as impacting the corporate bottom line.

I'll send a PM to clarify my specific contentions in respect to the Church HITs.

Treebeard: I have told your names to the Entmoot, and we have agreed you are not Orcs.

Treebeard: You must understand, young Hobbit, it takes a long time to say anything in Old Entish. And we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

But the Ents had some clear intent in their conversation. At least beyond simply being heard.

But the Ents had some clear intent in their conversation. At least beyond simply being heard.

This whole place is like a family of Ents, so it's a moot point :P

I will not bid on any of the Hits. Zero interest. Then again, I will not bid on the Tecs either as they will certainly end beyond reach :cry:

...It's none of my business..... but in my opinion.... what YOU should be doing is setting up a payment schedule for the 8.0 Detective 33 on Metro's site..... I know it's a little steep, but 10 years from now, that will all be moot. GOD BLESS...

Because we'll be dead from all of this fast livin'! :cry:

Because we'll be dead from all of this fast livin'! :cry:

... you say that like it's a bad thing :baiting: GOD BLESS...

new to the boards, go easy on me ;)

Wondering if Heritage applies any additional photoshopping/filtering on their scans for these Hit Comics and the other books in the Signature sale. Comparing these images to the scans in their current Sunday sale, I do notice the blues in the signature sale labels to be slightly more deeply saturated, causing for an overall more "contrastly" look to the label. Comparing the upper right corner CGC sticker, one notices the same results - higher sense of contrast. I compared new holdered books. My reaction was yea filters were applied to get more of a pop but I don't know.

sig sale

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/hit-comics-9-mile-high-pedigree-quality-1941-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/p/7158-17025.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515#

sun sale

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/justice-league-of-america-61-dc-1968-cgc-nm-94-off-white-pages/a/121703-13374.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515#[/img]

Please send that pm to all of us so we can all understand.

Do you want the two page briefing or the 35 page version? ;)

35 please (worship)

..... WITH bolding :popcorn: GOD BLESS...

35 please (worship)

Don't forget to bullet point the really interesting bits. ;)

35 please (worship)

Don't forget to bullet point the really interesting bits. ;)

Bit...singular.

I bet the old 9.2 notation is removed after this sells... I was surprised it took us this long to figure it out! You all really think a new to market early tec in 9.6 just showed up?!

The fact that the 9.2 was bumped to 9.6 was brought up by me shortly after it did.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9102311

So no, we didn't take long at all to figure it out. :makepoint:

The :o was for if it sold for 50K as a 9.2 (yeah, I know when and where it sold too), what price will it bring as a "9.6". It is currently in 3rd spot of HA auction result estimates only behind the Bat1 3.5 and AF15 8.5.

That is not a good 9.6 :makepoint: 9.2 ya but not 9.6 look at it.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-32-dc-1939-cgc-nm-96-off-white-pages/p/7158-130003.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Looks better as 9.2 Look at top staple now at 9.6 ?

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=549588

I just compared the scans. Sadly, I must agree with woowoo on this point. I'm also curious to know why the page quality was upgraded from just two years ago.

I bet the old 9.2 notation is removed after this sells... I was surprised it took us this long to figure it out! You all really think a new to market early tec in 9.6 just showed up?!

The fact that the 9.2 was bumped to 9.6 was brought up by me shortly after it did.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9102311

So no, we didn't take long at all to figure it out. :makepoint:

The :o was for if it sold for 50K as a 9.2 (yeah, I know when and where it sold too), what price will it bring as a "9.6". It is currently in 3rd spot of HA auction result estimates only behind the Bat1 3.5 and AF15 8.5.

That is not a good 9.6 :makepoint: 9.2 ya but not 9.6 look at it.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-32-dc-1939-cgc-nm-96-off-white-pages/p/7158-130003.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Looks better as 9.2 Look at top staple now at 9.6 ?

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=549588

I just compared the scans. Sadly, I must agree with woowoo on this point. I'm also curious to know why the page quality was upgraded from just two years ago.

Others know more about this than I do, but other board members have stated that when a book is pressed, the pages retain some moisture that makes them feel more supple, so if a book is graded within days of having been pressed, it is likely to get PQ bump.