• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edgar Church Hits coming up on HA
1 1

321 posts in this topic

I just went through the catelog and there are actually no must have books in this auction for me, could be a quiet one. hm

Hits are an under-appreciated title. Several Lou Fine Hit covers are among his best GA work. The interior stories are pretty typical GA stuff, but from cover to cover Busy Arnold's emphasis on Quality art (pun unavoidable) is pretty exceptional.

I've already posted my honest viewpoint along with the reasons I'm passing and will leave it there. I'm respectful of differences of opinion shared with several of my fellow boardies ...especially to those whom I respect in most other areas... and don't mind the blowback because Church runs rarely pop-up in auctions these days. And I'll add, in fairness and without caveat, that some of the early Hits in this special collection auction are likely the best examples.

For those folks with the juice and trust of CGC grades to bid on 'em, best of luck. (thumbs u

Will you be bidding, or not bidding, unless you decide to bid, on these books, or possibly not these books, or possibly all of the books, unless none of them? :baiting::insane:

Dave is just selling some of the books that are not dear to his heart.

Unless an unforeseen tragedy occurs, the Detectives, Batmans, Actions, Supermans will never surface.

He even kept some of he key pulp covers out of each run that he sold.

I have also seen the "Hits" and "Fantastics" before they were graded (before John had them), and the gloss and ink reflectivity on them is blinding.

Yep, there might be a few individual books out there that are technically better than a couple of the Church copies, but they do not have that "look" of having the ink reflectivity so high, that it looks wet.

Dwight

I have also seen the "Hits" and "Fantastics" before they were graded (before John had them), and the gloss and ink reflectivity on them is blinding.

Dwight

Which Fantastic books are you referring to and are you talking about John Veryzl here? ???

Dwight

Which Fantastic books are you referring to and are you talking about John Veryzl here? ???

I think he means "Jon".

Dwight

I think he means "Jon".

Ah....that makes a lot more sense then! (thumbs u

So, if the speculation is correct, then the Church Peps in the last HA Auction came from Dave's personal collection and these latest Hits and the Blue Ribbons came from Jon's personal collection. (shrug)

That is very interesting to say the least. hm

Dave parting with Church books is nothing new. I have a 20 year old catalog from him that's full of Mile Highs and purchased some from it. I've also heard that Dave and Steve Geppi have been selling stacks of Church books to each other for years. They like to sell to each other because they know where the books are if they ever decide they want to try and get them back. Dave even parts with Supes and Bats books on occasion. I obtained the Church Action #55 from him years ago.

5 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

they're trying to tell you that somewhere beneath that baker and raboy-seeking façade, there lurks a swinging-d oa collector!!!!

In other words, they want even more of my money! :cry:

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

In other words, they want even more of my money! :cry:

They don't let me keep any of mine.  :(

On 2/5/2017 at 0:27 PM, nearmint said:

Dave parting with Church books is nothing new. I have a 20 year old catalog from him that's full of Mile Highs and purchased some from it. I've also heard that Dave and Steve Geppi have been selling stacks of Church books to each other for years. They like to sell to each other because they know where the books are if they ever decide they want to try and get them back. Dave even parts with Supes and Bats books on occasion. I obtained the Church Action #55 from him years ago.

I think I remember that Action 55 on Ebay around 1999-200 9_9