• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edgar Church Hits coming up on HA
1 1

321 posts in this topic

As I predicted (I think correctly) the Peps would go to one collector, I also predict these will go to one collector.

If just one boardie can prove me wrong by coming on here and showing us a recently bought MH Pep, please do so.

This would not surprise me.

Haven't bought from Heritage in ages but still on their mailing list:

Our next catalog signature auction is scheduled for February. We are happy to announce that the auction will include a single-owner catalog of one of the most historic collections ever assembled.

huh interestimg

I wonder if it is comic or comic art. They are putting up some amazing GA and SA artwork right now.

Yeah, could this be the Sack collection?

As I predicted (I think correctly) the Peps would go to one collector, I also predict these will go to one collector.

If just one boardie can prove me wrong by coming on here and showing us a recently bought MH Pep, please do so.

The way the bidding unfolded during the live auction (e.g. no bids!) made it pretty clear that a sole bidder had put in preemptive bids.

This would not surprise me.

Yeah, but it is going to be fun to make them pay beyond crazy money for them :devil:

Note: Please, don't speculate on why I've chosen to sit this one out. As stated earlier, I have no desire to influence bidding one way or the other.

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would care whether you were bidding or not.

I've kept out of this discussion because anything I'd say might be taken as a bidding strategy or conflict of interest if one assumes that I intend to bid on any of these early high grade Hits. The one thing I'm trying to avoid is either talking up or talking down these books in an open forum as I have no desire to influence anyone's bidding one way or the other, ...nor do I wish anything but the best for the consignor, whoever that may be.

That said, I have formed an opinion based on what I've seen. There are only two things you can bank on from this, 1) that as Church books these are a unique group of collectibles from a prestigious pedigree collection, and 2) that for a variety of reasons I've decided not to bid on any of them.

To the latter point, the White page designations, combined with recent grading under the new CGC slab & label design will either embolden bidder confidence or elicit more cautionary bidding. The prudent posture ...or caveat, if you prefer... as recommended by auction houses, is to examine the books closely either in person or through available scans before bidding, to assess the risks and potential value. This seems like excellent advice.

Given the premium placed on the Church pedigree and the relative scarcity of Hits in high grade, the unprecedented availability of this early run will probably fuel frenzied bidding. Out of curiosity, I've tried to comparing my high grade Hits to the recently graded Church copies offered in this auction. The interiors are apparently remarkable (as typical of Church copies), but I can only gauge grading from cover scans and PQ designations on labels. In several instances, I was left with more questions than answers.

Note: Please, don't speculate on why I've chosen to sit this one out. As stated earlier, I have no desire to influence bidding one way or the other.

Cool story.

I've kept out of this discussion because anything I'd say might be taken as a bidding strategy or conflict of interest if one assumes that I intend to bid on any of these early high grade Hits. The one thing I'm trying to avoid is either talking up or talking down these books in an open forum as I have no desire to influence anyone's bidding one way or the other, ...nor do I wish anything but the best for the consignor, whoever that may be.

That said, I have formed an opinion based on what I've seen. There are only two things you can bank on from this, 1) that as Church books these are a unique group of collectibles from a prestigious pedigree collection, and 2) that for a variety of reasons I've decided not to bid on any of them.

To the latter point, the White page designations, combined with recent grading under the new CGC slab & label design will either embolden bidder confidence or elicit more cautionary bidding. The prudent posture ...or caveat, if you prefer... as recommended by auction houses, is to examine the books closely either in person or through available scans before bidding, to assess the risks and potential value. This seems like excellent advice.

Given the premium placed on the Church pedigree and the relative scarcity of Hits in high grade, the unprecedented availability of this early run will probably fuel frenzied bidding. Out of curiosity, I've tried to comparing my high grade Hits to the recently graded Church copies offered in this auction. The interiors are apparently remarkable (as typical of Church copies), but I can only gauge grading from cover scans and PQ designations on labels. In several instances, I was left with more questions than answers.

Cool story.

Yeah c'mon cat. So.......... you're going to tell us something you don't want us to talk about? mkay ;)

Btw, I can't tell if he's saying Newbold, or not Newbold. Can you ?

If newbold, why the "not"

If not newbold, that's like precisely zero information.

Cool story.

lol

Cool story.

Yeah c'mon cat. So.......... you're going to tell us something you don't want us to talk about? mkay ;)

Btw, I can't tell if he's saying Newbold, or not Newbold. Can you ?

If newbold, why the "not"

If not newbold, that's like precisely zero information.

Newbold, as in Jamie Newbold? ???

I too am a BSD and would like to express my interest or lack thereof in bidding or possibly not bidding on these books. I'd also like to state that they are exceptional, but possibly not exceptional, because I personally have not vetted them except in the degree that I have. Therefore, I choose to reserve my bidding for the time when it may be appropriate, yet I may not bid. But I hope that doesn't influence anyone from bidding. Or not bidding.

Which I myself may or may not do.

Depending on circumstances and my personal dictums regarding viewing of these books.

I too am a BSD and would like to express my interest or lack thereof in bidding or possibly not bidding on these books. I'd also like to state that they are exceptional, but possibly not exceptional, because I personally have not vetted them except in the degree that I have. Therefore, I choose to reserve my bidding for the time when it may be appropriate, yet I may not bid. But I hope that doesn't influence anyone from bidding. Or not bidding.

Depending on circumstances and my personal dictums regarding viewing of these books.

lol

When are you coming down to Boulder to visit the Distillery :sumo:

lol

When are you coming down to Boulder to visit the Distillery :sumo:

hm Will you be there Friday?

:whee: