• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edgar Church Hits coming up on HA
1 1

321 posts in this topic

I bet the old 9.2 notation is removed after this sells... I was surprised it took us this long to figure it out! You all really think a new to market early tec in 9.6 just showed up?!

The fact that the 9.2 was bumped to 9.6 was brought up by me shortly after it did.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9102311

So no, we didn't take long at all to figure it out. :makepoint:

The :o was for if it sold for 50K as a 9.2 (yeah, I know when and where it sold too), what price will it bring as a "9.6". It is currently in 3rd spot of HA auction result estimates only behind the Bat1 3.5 and AF15 8.5.

That is not a good 9.6 :makepoint: 9.2 ya but not 9.6 look at it.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-32-dc-1939-cgc-nm-96-off-white-pages/p/7158-130003.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Looks better as 9.2 Look at top staple now at 9.6 ?

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=549588

Edited by woowoo

I have seen Church books graded at 5.0 and 6.0 so I dont believe there is any intent to give undue consideration to the books solely for the mystique of the pedigree.

One of the Church Hits is graded 7.5.

Shoulda been a 6.5

I have seen Church books graded at 5.0 and 6.0 so I dont believe there is any intent to give undue consideration to the books solely for the mystique of the pedigree.

One of the Church Hits is graded 7.5.

Shoulda been a 6.5

:takeit:

If you are at all insinuating that these may not be the best examples of each and every issue of HIt from 1 through 24 then you really are not very knowledgeable on the subject. You can certainly argue whether any individual book is graded off by a step (9.0 or 9.2 for example), but there is no doubt that each of the Church Hits is the best copy available of that particular book regardless of numerical grade.

But you know that...you're just trying to jab CGC..

You're a little off-base, Ricky, but if you've re-read my posts ...as poorly phrased as my earlier comments were... you should be aware of that by now.

I'm not pointing to every Church HIT in the upcoming auction as being over-graded nor am I arguing that they're not the best examples (at least the vast majority of them). Certainly the White page designation probably makes them the best in that category. Cover condition on a couple are suspect, but that's subjective.

I suppose knowledgeability is subjective as well.

If I were taking a jab at CGC I'd have been more specific about what bothered me in the scans or post my impressions where they'd be better appreciated. Regrettably, tip-toeing on eggshells produced my in-artfully worded reservations. I should've known I'd have to break a few eggs to make an omelette. The over-easy approach never works unless all the eggs are fresh and the yolk doesn't end up being on the last bidder.

Initially, I'd considered not posting anything about the Hits, nada, nothing at all, ...not wishing to insert unsolicited opinions since I've decided to eschew bidding..., but after critical analysis of the HA scans I felt that sharing my impressions would be the lesser evil.

I've gone out of my way to avoid derogatory comments about CGC's label or criticism of the grading, but I'll say this, after comparing scans of the Church books I'm reconsidering having several of my old CGC books regraded into clearer holders. Folks can read into that whatever they wish.

Peace, brother.

So basically you want the Church Hits but you can't afford them.

If you're reading that into my comments you should cut down on your weekend alcohol intake. hm

Affording isn't the issue. The principle is in choosing to not bid.

Warm wishes, and good luck. (thumbs u

If you're reading that into my comments you should cut down on your weekend alcohol intake. hm

Defensive much?

And warm wishes and good luck to you too. ;):hi:

Defensive much?

I thought you'd be in a better mood. Spurs did win after all :baiting:

PS. I read the original full post before you pruned it :grin:

I'm not pointing to every Church HIT in the upcoming auction as being over-graded nor am I arguing that they're not the best examples (at least the vast majority of them). Certainly the White page designation probably makes them the best in that category. Cover condition on a couple are suspect, but that's subjective.

Initially, I'd considered not posting anything about the Hits, nada, nothing at all, ...not wishing to insert unsolicited opinions since I've decided to eschew bidding..., but after critical analysis of the HA scans I felt that sharing my impressions would be the lesser evil.

I've gone out of my way to avoid derogatory comments about CGC's label or criticism of the grading, but I'll say this, after comparing scans of the Church books I'm reconsidering having several of my old CGC books regraded into clearer holders. Folks can read into that whatever they wish.

Peace, brother.

I appreciate anyone who posts frankly about books -- particularly what are likely to be very high-dollar books -- in upcoming auctions. I realize that some people believe it's inappropriate to do so out of respect for the consignor. But my sympathies are always with collectors and with those less in the know who might not realize that books may have problems that are not necessarily consistent with the assigned grades.

That said, I still don't quite understand what you are saying about these books. Is the first bolded statement above the gist of it? Some (many? one or two?) of the books have flaws on their covers that in your opinion means they are overgraded?

I'm also not sure I understand your point about having some of your books reholdered. I'm sure you know that reholdering does not involve regrading (unless books have been damaged in their slabs). Is there something about the way books are positioned in the new slabs that you don't like? My own view is that some GA books appear to be very tight in the new slabs.

Defensive much?

I'd just like to say, after careful consideration about not saying it, that I have nothing to say about any of this. Frankly - and you may not want to hear this, which I would fully understand - I wouldn't say anything even if I did have something to say, which I don't. Of course, not saying anything about something about which I do have something to say amounts to the same thing as having nothing to say, but I'm not saying that, and furthermore it's not what I'm saying. Even if it was, I wouldnt.

Which is to say that I'm not saying anything.

Or possibly not, but if not, not.

Defensive much?

I'd just like to say, after careful consideration about not saying it, that I have nothing to say about any of this. Frankly - and you may not want to hear this, which I would fully understand - I wouldn't say anything even if I did have something to say, which I don't. Of course, not saying anything about something about which I do have something to say amounts to the same thing as having nothing to say, but I'm not saying that, and furthermore it's not what I'm saying. Even if it was, I wouldnt.

I'm glad you didn't clear that up. This is no place for certainties.

Defensive much?

I wouldn't say that - but then, I didn't. Are you sure?

I am going to state for the record that I will 100% be bidding on these Hits. My specific plans are to bid on every issue I like when the auction first opens to ensure I am able to bid before the serious contenders start bidding, otherwise I may not get to bid. Later on that day when the outbid emails come in, I will proudly sit back and smile knowing for a few brief moments I was a BSD.

I am going to state for the record that I will 100% be bidding on these Hits. My specific plans are to bid on every issue I like when the auction first opens to ensure I am able to bid before the serious contenders start bidding, otherwise I may not get to bid. Later on that day when the outbid emails come in, I will proudly sit back and smile knowing for a few brief moments I was a BSD.

I would bid on the Hits, but I hear that they are not absolutely pristine, and might cause disorder in my life should I own them.

Defensive much?

My mother was English and she used to take an extraordinary amount of time sidling up to her point. I think it may have been strategic, though.

Me: What? I don't remember agreeing to do that.

Mom: Of course you did, dear. Don't you remember when we discussed it all two Sundays ago?

Me: So that's what that was all about!

Defensive much?

My mother was English and she used to take an extraordinary amount of time sidling up to her point. I think it may have been strategic, though.

Me: What? I don't remember agreeing to do that.

Mom: Of course you did, dear. Don't you remember when we discussed it all two Sundays ago?

Me: So that's what that was all about!

Sidling lol

I will not bid on any of the Hits. Zero interest. Then again, I will not bid on the Tecs either as they will certainly end beyond reach :cry:

...It's none of my business..... but in my opinion.... what YOU should be doing is setting up a payment schedule for the 8.0 Detective 33 on Metro's site..... I know it's a little steep, but 10 years from now, that will all be moot. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u