• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR TREK 4 directed by Quentin Tarantino?? (TBD)
1 1

61 posts in this topic

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures is in final talks with Noah Hawley to write and direct the next Star Trek film. Through his 26 Keys production banner he will produce along with JJ Abrams and his Bad Robot banner. I don’t have too much more to report on the film, but my understanding is Hawley will helm the fourth film in this iteration of the venerable franchise, with the Enterprise crew led by Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg and Karl Urban.

In addition to his groundbreaking series Legion, Hawley serves as executive producer, writer, director and showrunner on FX’s Emmy-winning limited series Fargo. He currently is in production on the fourth season, which stars Chris Rock, with Hawley directing the first episodes. Both series are produced under Hawley’s 26 Keys.

Hawley made his feature film directorial debut on Lucy in the Sky, which premiered at Toronto before Fox Searchlight released in the fall. The film stars Natalie Portman, Jon Hamm, Dan Stevens, Zazie Beetz, Pearl Amanda Dickson, Tig Notaro and Ellen Burstyn and chronicles the emotional post-mission deterioration of an astronaut (Portman).

Hawley also has written Fargo: This Is a True Story, a companion book to the first three seasons of the series, published by Grand Central Publishing last month. Also a bestselling author, Hawley has published five novels: A Conspiracy of Tall Men, Other People’s Weddings, The Punch, The Good Father and most recently the bestseller Before the Fall.

Hawley began his TV career on Bones and then created, exec produced and was showrunner for ABC’s My Generation and The Unusuals. He seems to be in a similar place to where Abrams was when he directed his first Mission: Impossible film and then moved to Star Trek and Star Wars pics.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:57 PM, Oddball said:

Different strokes I guess. I loved Jackie Brown and Inglorious Bastards. Looking forward to seeing the new Hollywood one this weekend.

But even as a fan of his films, he’s not right for Star Trek. Hope he proves me wrong.

I liked Jackie Brown but thought Inglorious Bastards was terrible. Django Unchained was awesome though but his best work remains Pulp Fiction.

I'd be up for a Tarantino Star Trek movie especially after the utterly forgettable Star Trek Beyond.

5 hours ago, paperheart said:

after a commercial and critical directorial feature debut bomb, he's handed the keys to the Enterprise.  Hooray for Hollywood.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/lucy-in-the-sky/critic-reviews

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt4682804/?ref_=bo_se_r_1

Tries so hard to always bring brightness to every thread he touches. :baiting:

Meanwhile, his other shining graces stand quite strong.

noah_hawley.thumb.JPG.33011f04750c0ae0109d0c66de78ef80.JPG

And yes, Noah Hawley as the creator of the Fargo TV show only directed a few episodes. He's produced and scripted all the content.

No - he has a point here.

The original --script for Lucy in the Sky made the Black List back in 2014 and was slated to be both a financial success *and* and a serious Oscar contender.

Instead, it came and went so fast I had to double-check if it had even been released. Production cost was reported at $27 million and it grossed less than $400,000 worldwide??

Despite his TV track record, it's *amazing* that he's going directly from that unabashed bomb to the next Star Trek movie.

Edited by Gatsby77

55 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

No - he has a point here.

The original ---script for Lucy in the Sky made the Black List back in 2014 and was slated to be both a financial success *and* and a serious Oscar contender.

Instead, it came and went so fast I had to double-check if it had even been released. Production cost was reported at $27 million and it grossed less than $400,000 worldwide??

Despite his TV track record, it's *amazing* that he's going directly from that unabashed bomb to the next Star Trek movie.

We shall see.

emotion01.gif.3324e5122be797f04540e1ca9dcada11.gif

7 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Initial steps to success for #4:

2. No time warp back to 1988

That's my favorite Star Trek movie. I used to always say Wrath of Kahn until I noticed that the movie I rewatched the most was Voyage Home.

Actually I thought he made an absolute train wreck of Legion. It was hands down my favorite show for a while, then he started trying to bending characters into impossible situations that completely voided everything he built up to. He spent the entire last season almost as some sort of justification and retcon of the horrible mistakes at the end of season 2. It took creative inventive chaos and vision and turned it into cynical cliched...well anyway let’s say I’m not a total fan of his TV work either.

12 hours ago, RedRaven said:

That's my favorite Star Trek movie. I used to always say Wrath of Kahn until I noticed that the movie I rewatched the most was Voyage Home.

Voyage Home is fun but Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country are the best Trek movies IMO.

44 minutes ago, bane said:

Voyage Home is fun but Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country are the best Trek movies IMO.

To me, The Undiscovered Country is one of the best Star Trek films of the entire franchise. So much of it comes together so solidly.

- The friendship between Spock, Kirk and McCoy

- The challenges the Federation faces in being perceived as a fair and respectful entity, even to enemies

- The vast alien races displayed throughout

- The humor of the franchise without it distracting from the story

- Great casting choices with Christopher Plummer, David Warner and W. Morgan Sheppard and more in really interesting roles

I have watched this film more than The Wrath of Khan, though the latter is also a solid film too.

On 11/21/2019 at 7:43 AM, Bosco685 said:
On 11/21/2019 at 6:52 AM, bane said:

To me, The Undiscovered Country is one of the best Star Trek films of the entire franchise. So much of it comes together so solidly.

- The friendship between Spock, Kirk and McCoy

- The challenges the Federation faces in being perceived as a fair and respectful entity, even to enemies

- The vast alien races displayed throughout

- The humor of the franchise without it distracting from the story

- Great casting choices with Christopher Plummer, David Warner and W. Morgan Sheppard and more in really interesting roles

I have watched this film more than The Wrath of Khan, though the latter is also a solid film too.

Have to agree with you guys here. After the disappointment that was ST 5, it was nice to come back with a solid movie all around. And if we're picking favorites, I would say they are all excellent - with exception to 5 - but my favorite would have to be ST the Motion Picture - I'm a sucker for a long drawn out Sci-fi story. The more I've watched it over the years, the more I've grown to appreciate how good it really is. To me at least.

17 hours ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Have to agree with you guys here. After the disappointment that was ST 5, it was nice to come back with a solid movie all around. And if we're picking favorites, I would say they are all excellent - with exception to 5 - but my favorite would have to be ST the Motion Picture - I'm a sucker for a long drawn out Sci-fi story. The more I've watched it over the years, the more I've grown to appreciate how good it really is. To me at least.

I would recommend the book Return to Tomorrow.  It becomes (at least for me) a bit of a slog when they get into descriptions of post production.  But it confirms what  I always felt about ST: TMP - that there was a huge amount of work and attention to detail that went into the movie.  To me, it's the most "theatrical" looking of all the Star Trek movies and the one that gives you the most sense of a world that extends beyond the edges of the screen.

On 11/21/2019 at 5:52 AM, bane said:

I'm also a fan of Undiscovered Country which puts me decidedly at odds with several of my friends whom I usually find myself in close agreement on these matters.

Star Trek: Discovery is preparing to debut its third season while Sir Patrick Stewart’s Star Trek: Picard concluded its rookie run earlier this year. The animated comedy Star Trek: Lower Decks is in the midst of an under-appreciated first season and future small screen spinoffs set in the Star Trek universe are in various stages of development. But what about the big screen Star Trek franchise?

It was previously reported that Quentin Tarantino’s R-rated Star Trek movie had been moved to the back burner. Earlier this week, Fargo creator Noah Hawley revealed that his planned Star Trek feature has also been put in “stasis.” Yet while discussing the upcoming fourth season of Fargo, which we will post this weekend, we also asked how he plans to approach the franchise with a new crew of Starfleet officers.

“What I love about Star Trek is that it’s not a war story. It’s not a story in which might makes right,” he told Observer. “It’s a story about exploration. It’s a story about creative problem solving. My favorite moment in all of Star Trek is in Wrath of Khan when Kirk puts on his reading glasses to lower Khan’s shields. It’s a brief moment that is so exhilarating because he’s using the best tool he has, which is his mind. As much as I like the Chris Pine movies they were mostly about running from one end of the ship to the other to put out a fire, to stop a thing, and then before he could catch his breath he had to do something else. They’re much more action movies and what I wanted to get back to was this idea of humanity justifying existence in the universe by showing its best qualities.”

Star Trek is not the only iconic franchise Hawley has pushed to dabble with as a creator. In March 2019, it was reported that he had pitched FX on a miniseries set within the Alien universe. The Disney-Fox merger may have ended those hopes for now, but we’re hoping for a potential return based on Hawley’s angle in. Namely: it’s about the people, not the xenomorphs.

“Alien is on some level the complete opposite of Stark Trek. It’s sort of about humanity at its worst,” he said. “There’s this moment in the second film when Sigourney says, ‘I don’t know which species is worse. At least they don’t screw each other over for a percentage.’ If you look at what Aliens tends to be, it’s usually a trapped story – trapped in a ship, trapped in a prison, etc. And because the Alien has this life cycle to it, where it goes from egg, to chestburster, to xenomorph, there becomes a certain routine to it.”

He continued: “I thought it would be interesting if you could expand. If you’re going to make something for television, you’ve got 10 hours let’s say. Even if you have a lot of action, like two hours, then you’re still going to have eight hours left. So what is the show about? That’s what I tried to talk to them about. As I did with Legion, the exercise is: Let’s take the superhero stuff out of the show and see if it’s still a great show. What’s the show about? Let’s take the Alien out of the show. What’s the show about? What are the themes, who are the characters and what is the human drama? Then we drop the aliens back in and we go, ‘This is great. Not only is there great human drama, but there’s aliens!’”