• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing Inquiry

19 posts in this topic

You asked for recs, those are three you're going to get around here. I've used all three and had good experiences.

QUESTION:

GRADER'S NOTES READS:

Crayon Front Cover

Heavy Creasing to Cover

Heavy Spine Roll

Multiple Marker/Pen Back Cover

Would a Pressing/Cleaning take care of most of this??

It is an Incredible Hulk 181 The problem is that it is witnessed and signed by Stan Lee

Would a press/cleaning erase the signature?? I know really nothing about this kind of stuff buy "crayon" seems like it would be tough to get clean....

also I don't have a scanner that can scan slabs...so the grader notes are all that I can describe....

It is graded a 2.5.....?? that's a heavy down grade, it is unrestored, it is complete and has MVS etc

Any help is appreciated :)

QUESTION:

GRADER'S NOTES READS:

Crayon Front Cover

Heavy Creasing to Cover

Heavy Spine Roll

Multiple Marker/Pen Back Cover

Would a Pressing/Cleaning take care of most of this??

It is an Incredible Hulk 181 The problem is that it is witnessed and signed by Stan Lee

Would a press/cleaning erase the signature?? I know really nothing about this kind of stuff buy "crayon" seems like it would be tough to get clean....

also I don't have a scanner that can scan slabs...so the grader notes are all that I can describe....

It is graded a 2.5.....?? that's a heavy down grade, it is unrestored, it is complete and has MVS etc

Any help is appreciated :)

try taking camera pics at several angles - best to see the creasing ----

when you say

"take care of most of this" - realize that pressing and cleaning is not a magic wand that gives you huge grade bumps. The pros at this definitely know their stuff - but there are limits.

crayon? - cleaning might remove it - but could also leave the area underneath with a different look than the surroundings. Might be a wash in grading.

Witnessed and signed? - is this a sig series? -- the big boys ( Hero, CFP, CCS) - can press a book with a sig and not affect the sig. To maintain the SS certification you have to use CCS or CFP ( and you should confirm with CFP that they are allowed to do this) as there are rules set for what has to happen to maintain the yellow label.

Spine roll - a good presser can minimize and possibly fix spine roll.

Marker/pen - dry clean will likely not remove

heavy creasing - pressing will not fix creases that break color

Pictures are really the best way for a better opinion .... a book that is a 2.5 is that way for a reason.

I took the time to call CGC and they described the process the way you did and suggested a screening at CCS for the spine roll at a percentage of the market value..... I'll have to think about it :)

I'm not good at pictures.... so I don't know if these will suffice, I don't have great lighting in my comic room nor a good camera with my phone, I tried my regular camera but stupid flash...

167468.jpg.12a45150f93e017779bac9d208e8d644.jpg

167469.jpg.30dbd933a9160b3b57ec19805e73dbfd.jpg

167470.jpg.5529133e5d576aecdd67a0ef73f8612a.jpg

167471.jpg.f172b20202edfa19c356a04f86b24d2b.jpg

167472.jpg.591373e4b11cddc4c45bafadc89d53da.jpg

As stated above pressing will not help any of the color breaking creases and cleaning will not remove the pen/ink and doubtful on old crayon.

But..

If the book is structurally sound pressing can correct the spin roll and flatten the overall appearance of the book which could improve eye appeal. The question is would the cost of this plus regrading be worth it to you? I would keep it as is, looking at the pictures there is enough going on with the book that you are likely not going to see a quantifiable grade increase over your 2.5 to justify the cost.

Enjoy the book or better yet, sell it and buy a Hulk 181 signed by Wein or Trimpe

I'm debating though, here are my concerns...

It currently is at CGC 2.5

I have $600 invested in it to Purchase it and get it signed and graded....ummm

If I spend what $40 to press it through CCS to keep yellow label and what another $40 to have it regraded, ummm is it really worth it?

And the only thing that I have to go on is "heavy" spine roll in the graders notes towards the grade bump, I was thinking maybe a press would get it to 3.0-3.5? I don't know all the variables: grade vs $$

Assuming that I get it pressed, they automatically press and CLEAN right,? I assume they'll be careful thanks to the signature, but $80 more doesn't seem like too much to put into it but idk

lol I'd appreciate a Len Wein or Herb Trimpe sig much better as the sig, Trimpe is no longer with us and Wein didn't come to Dallas last year. Maybe he'll come this year :) It was my first SS doing myself and it was proclaimed that it was Stan's last appearacnce in the area last year lol it was announced today that he is again coming this year as his last "Texas" appearance. Was it the greatest investment?, I mean he did create the Hulk but that is not what Hulk 181 is known for, perhaps not the best use of my funds but for what was available you know.... :)

I'll just enjoy the book!! I am in the middle of doing my first pressing with an ASM 129 that also had a spine roll and was graded by who I dare not speak the name a 5.5, so that is why I was questioning my entire collection lol js I'll try to be more wise with who gets to sign what of my books :angel:

I'm debating though, here are my concerns...

It currently is at CGC 2.5

I have $600 invested in it to Purchase it and get it signed and graded....ummm

If I spend what $40 to press it through CCS to keep yellow label and what another $40 to have it regraded, ummm is it really worth it?

And the only thing that I have to go on is "heavy" spine roll in the graders notes towards the grade bump, I was thinking maybe a press would get it to 3.0-3.5? I don't know all the variables: grade vs $$

Assuming that I get it pressed, they automatically press and CLEAN right,? I assume they'll be careful thanks to the signature, but $80 more doesn't seem like too much to put into it but idk

yes - if you go with CCS - you get cleaning - on lower grade books - the cleaning will spruce the look up a bit, but might not affect the grade.

Severe spine roll? - might bump a grade or 2 - the creasing that I can see in the pics - will most likely not have much improvement potential. The book will be flatter - but the white creasing will still be there.

IF you want to roll the dice a little... you can leech crayon wax by gently heating it and having a more absorbent material above it. This works for example when you have wax or crayon in your carpet. I have done this on a book to see if it would work and it did. I placed a plain white paper towel over the mark and then used an iron on it, set at the lowest setting and ironed just the wax. You must be very careful as the iron will burn the paper and the paper will curl so you have to quickly place it between 2 heavy flat surfaces after to let it cool flat. You can spend about 1-2 seconds total contact time maximum at first and keep checking to see if it is working. You may still be left with a stain, but the majority of the color and wax will melt into the paper towel. Please note, the paper towel goes between the iron and the book. Also, I disavow this recommendation if you destroy your hulk 181. I would also put a chamber paper between the cover and page one as well in case it bleeds the other direction.

IF you want to roll the dice a little... you can leech crayon wax by gently heating it and having a more absorbent material above it. This works for example when you have wax or crayon in your carpet. I have done this on a book to see if it would work and it did. I placed a plain white paper towel over the mark and then used an iron on it, set at the lowest setting and ironed just the wax. You must be very careful as the iron will burn the paper and the paper will curl so you have to quickly place it between 2 heavy flat surfaces after to let it cool flat. You can spend about 1-2 seconds total contact time maximum at first and keep checking to see if it is working. You may still be left with a stain, but the majority of the color and wax will melt into the paper towel. Please note, the paper towel goes between the iron and the book. Also, I disavow this recommendation if you destroy your hulk 181. I would also put a chamber paper between the cover and page one as well in case it bleeds the other direction.

I'm sorry but this is terrible advice for this guy. As a do-it-yourself project, odds are he will hurt the book.