• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thought this was worth posting: Want to keep LCS in business? Pick up your stuff
1 1

85 posts in this topic

The Unspoken Crisis Killing Local Comic Shops

$1,481.20 worth of comics not picked up from our subscription service in the last 3 months. The single biggest threat to your local comic shop is not digital comics, it’s ordering books and not picking them up. The subscription service is a benefit to both the store and the subscriber. It helps with ordering since comics are ordered 3 months prior to shipment. It can also impact weekly customers and orders negatively by preventing paid inventory from becoming positive cash flow. Please be kind to your local comic shop and pick up your comics.

Packrat_zpsiuylyh6r.jpg

I know when I was still buying moderns the owner of my LCS was always encouraging me to subscribe with him. But I am far too picky to let someone else grab my comics. I like to be there comic day grabbing them fresh out of the box. And if there was an issue I wanted that was already sold out (like the New 52 Batman #1) the owner would always find one in one of the bad subscribers bins and let me buy it.

Agreed to this photo. I have seen many times in the past at the LCS where I go to pick up my books and orders. I saw other customers file bins so full of their orders that there is no room. Once at a former LCS years ago, Terry (past owner) showed me one box full of one customer whom hasn't picked up for many weeks (many times) lol And he told me to pick out whatever I want, as doubles. The customer got blacklisted since.

I think many comic stores should create e-mail list of customers to inform them when their orders have arrived. I get email alerts to tell me my new books come in. That allows me to schedule my time to go pick them up and pay to LCS. I love that system.

The REAL threat is when you edit your pull list and the comic shop does not adjust their orders from Diamond.

Why aren't you picking up this book?

I edited my pull list and told you that in three months I would stop picking up that book. Three months have passed. I was serious.

Here's a solution... auto bill.

What shop owners should do is, by giving customers discounts and guaranteed rights to books that subsequently sell out, have an agreement that every Wednesday, the comics pulled are then automatically charged to that customer's credit card on file.

I've seen many friends who are somewhat ill-respectfully negligent customers, have books held for 3-6 months at a LCS, and brag about picking up books that are worth 10x the cover price and then proceed to grab their stacks as if the pull list was an option to buy, and put back comics they changed their mind on buying. To me, that's pretty lame customer behavior.

I think, charging the credit card motivates the customer to come pick their stuff up, since it's paid for. Also, as part of the system, the store should be obligated to try their best to get the top condition comics, yet of course not guarantee anything since it's out of their control what they receive. I know at times, some fans want to pick their own comics... well if they want, just drop by the store on the Wed the comics comes in and they're automatically billed and pick the conditions they want if what was pulled for them isn't to their standards.

It's not a negative option continuity, it's, to me perfectly straightforward. If a customer doesn't have a credit card, then they need to put down a cash reserve to draw against, it should be store policy, then they don't have to worry about delinquent customers and deadbeats.

What shop owners should do is, by giving customers discounts and guaranteed rights to books that subsequently sell out, have an agreement that every Wednesday, the comics pulled are then automatically charged to that customer's credit card on file.

I've seen many friends who are somewhat ill-respectfully negligent customers, have books held for 3-6 months at a LCS, and brag about picking up books that are worth 10x the cover price and then proceed to grab their stacks as if the pull list was an option to buy, and put back comics they changed their mind on buying. To me, that's pretty lame customer behavior.

I think, charging the credit card motivates the customer to come pick their stuff up, since it's paid for. Also, as part of the system, the store should be obligated to try their best to get the top condition comics, yet of course not guarantee anything since it's out of their control what they receive. I know at times, some fans want to pick their own comics... well if they want, just drop by the store on the Wed the comics comes in and they're automatically billed and pick the conditions they want if what was pulled for them isn't to their standards.

It's not a negative option continuity, it's, to me perfectly straightforward. If a customer doesn't have a credit card, then they need to put down a cash reserve to draw against, it should be store policy, then they don't have to worry about delinquent customers and deadbeats.

The only problem is if the customer changes their mind or they suddenly decide to have a title removed from the pull list, the cost to the LCS to refund that book. It costs the LCS to charge a credit card and to refund a credit card. When most of your inventory generally sells for $3-$5 a piece, a .30-.60 charge really adds up.

Policy at my LCS is pick up the pull list at least once a month, else they go back to the shelf. For stuff they don't normally carry (and possibly won't be able to sell to other customers), they require 100% prepayment. On the upside, they do offer 30% discount on DC/Marvel and 20% on other pubs for preorders with no minimums. Order forms due on the 18th, full prepayment required by end of the month.

That said, I religiously pick up my comics every week (usually on Wednesdays). If I was willing to wait, I'd just order all my comics from DCBS. The $6.95 shipping is likely on par or cheaper than gas and parking. :D

Edited by aerischan

I like it

Not sure about the margins on new books, I've heard they're paper thin. So having credit cards for prepayment, and then by law being obligated to refund, seems like a rough spot for the store. I think the picture proves that having a pull list doesn't guarantee people coming in regularly, right? So why have a pull list? I would think that if the new issue collectors had to go to the store each week that their books were released, it would generate more traffic, lessen problems, etc.

Though my bottom line is black, I am flat upon my back,

My cash flows out and customers pay slow.

The growth of my receivables is almost unbelievable:

The result is certain - unremitting woe!

And I hear the banker utter an ominous low mutter,

"Watch cash flow".

Edited by Bronzed Jbone

Policy at my LCS is pick up the pull list at least once a month, else they go back to the shelf. For stuff they don't normally carry (and possibly won't be able to sell to other customers), they require 100% prepayment. On the upside, they do offer 30% discount on DC/Marvel and 20% on other pubs for preorders with no minimums. Order forms due on the 18th, full prepayment required by end of the month.

I wish my LCS did this. They require the prepayment but only offer a 10% discount...no incentive for me to switch over from Midtown, as I'm ordering some pretty significant quantities each month.

I had a pull list from my LCS before I quit buying moderns (multi-resets on ASM)

I always paid and picked up my books the problem was with the LCS and all their shenanigans.

1) Added "variant' books I repeatedly told them I did not want

2) Many books with bundle damage

3) adding duplicates I never asked for, adding krap annuals I told them I hate and never wanted.

4)adding titles I never asked for "We thought you would like these"

5) When I ordered 2 mil Mylar (I wrote a note so I know I asked for 2 mil) they gave me 500 1 mil mylar - complete krap I tossed

If the LCS stopped all the shenanigans they might be better off. I paid for piles of krap I never asked for.

This along with the multiple covers on every junk book drove me away from moderns and lost them a customer.

The REAL threat is when you edit your pull list and the comic shop does not adjust their orders from Diamond.

I edited my pull list and told you that in three months I would stop picking up that book. Three months have passed. I was serious.

100%

I've heard stories from friends who stopped their subscriptions with shops because they continually messed up their pull lists. It's frustrating as a consumer and sounds like it happens more than it should.

My old shop was great (Victory Comics in Falls Church, VA). Very responsive and organized. They made suggestions of stuff I liked, but never added anything after I told them not too. If I hadn't moved far enough away to the point where it wasn't convenient, I'd still go there.

Speculating on a related title or a crossover issue is a good idea if the shop knows what you're into; it's easier to drop an extra in your bin, than having to reorder later if the book sells out. There should be no obligation to buy what you didn't ask for, though.

Speculating on a related title or a crossover issue is a good idea if the shop knows what you're into; it's easier to drop an extra in your bin, than having to reorder later if the book sells out. There should be no obligation to buy what you didn't ask for, though.

I am not "speculating" on anything, and NO it is NOT a good idea. It is ludicrous.

When I give my list in writing and some person decides they know better than me, that is NOT a service. It is a hard sell tactic that cost them a return customer.

100%

I've heard stories from friends who stopped their subscriptions with shops because they continually messed up their pull lists. It's frustrating as a consumer and sounds like it happens more than it should.

My old shop was great (Victory Comics in Falls Church, VA). Very responsive and organized. They made suggestions of stuff I liked, but never added anything after I told them not too. If I hadn't moved far enough away to the point where it wasn't convenient, I'd still go there.

I second all these emotions. I attempted to set up a pull list with a shop (not Victory) in the DC area a few years ago, but when they pulled out a legal pad of paper and a pencil I politely told the clerk I changed my mind as I could foresee all kinds of issues stemming from their record keeping. The shop I eventually went with used Comixology and I really appreciated how I could manage my lists from my computer. Never had any issues, and they even mailed my comics to me!

I no longer subscribe because I don't have the time and I wanted to pare down my collection. I was taking in way too many books that I honestly never read.

100%

I second all these emotions. I attempted to set up a pull list with a shop (not Victory) in the DC area a few years ago, but when they pulled out a legal pad of paper and a pencil I politely told the clerk I changed my mind as I could foresee all kinds of issues stemming from their record keeping. The shop I eventually went with used Comixology and I really appreciated how I could manage my lists from my computer. Never had any issues, and they even mailed my comics to me!

I no longer subscribe because I don't have the time and I wanted to pare down my collection. I was taking in way too many books that I honestly never read.

Was it Fantom? I used to have a pull list when they were in Union Station. Using Comixology to manage my pull list was great.