• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thought this was worth posting: Want to keep LCS in business? Pick up your stuff
1 1

85 posts in this topic

I have a pull list to support one of my local shops, but have been having problems lately. Someone has been going into the shop on Wednesdays when they have been sorting books (they lay everything out on a glass counter top as they sort). This person scoops up all of the low print run stuff that I ordered months ago and purchases it before it makes it into my pile. In each case, the shop has only ordered one copy for the entire store, strictly for my pull list.

This has happened with Henchgirl, Sheriff of Babylon and now Animosity. The person doing inventory knows that they have been getting the books and double-checked to make sure that they had arrived (by looking at invoices), but every week someone has been scooping up my "rare" books. They think they know who is doing it and promised me that they are going to try to prevent happening again, but I'm starting to lose patience, especially after some of the books that did make it into my pull list were quite damaged. I might switch to a different shop if things don't change soon.

My thoughts: A pull list is only as good as the people making sure that you get your books. At the same time, a pull list is a great service when done right and people should not order books if they don't plan to purchase them. A friend of mine told me recently that he was pissed off that a different shop cancelled his pull list after he did not pick up his comics for months. I had no sympathy for him.

Is this another instance of Roy telling us how we should act/behave/think?

:banana:

:makepoint: march in step, drone!

I think holding it longer is fine, its just the lack of contact that gets me. Its pretty effing easy to contact your store now. Hit their tweetface or instagrind account or email or snaptwitch or call or text or hell send a letter. I get that people have issues like kids, jobs, sickness, injuries, death, travel, etc. But as long as everyone keeps everyone informed, its cool, hold it indefinitely then.

Of course the store should make the terms super clear (and keep a signed contract) and keep sending notices before they charge the card on file and before they stop holding the comics.

The business of selling comics is one of the only businesses in the world that I know of that gives interest free loans, indefinitely, with no pre-approval almost across the board.

Whether it's time payments or lay away on new comics, it's crazy when you think about it.

And that is likely because there is a high level of trust among customers, but if you're running a thin margin business it can be scary as soon as a few people don't pay up.

Not really loans, though.

"Of course the store should make the terms super clear (and keep a signed contract) and keep sending notices before they charge the card on file and before they stop holding the comics.

The business of selling comics is one of the only businesses in the world that I know of that gives interest free loans, indefinitely, with no pre-approval almost across the board.

Whether it's time payments or lay away on new comics, it's crazy when you think about it."

Charging the card on file is going to be a problem once it is disputed and the shop loses. All the customer has to do is say they cancelled a long time ago.

Many shops I see charge a fee for opening an account.

Time payments are a way of making a sale. And there is a chance someone defaults and you keep the money and the book.

Every furniture store I know is running zero % interest for 1-2 year sales and what not to get you to buy something. this is how my wife buys furniture. she will not get a new item until the prior one is fully paid off within the interest free period. you need to be disciplined though, because if it isn't paid off they usually charge you some insane rate once the deal expires.

I think holding it longer is fine, its just the lack of contact that gets me. Its pretty effing easy to contact your store now. Hit their tweetface or instagrind account or email or snaptwitch or call or text or hell send a letter. I get that people have issues like kids, jobs, sickness, injuries, death, travel, etc. But as long as everyone keeps everyone informed, its cool, hold it indefinitely then.

Of course the store should make the terms super clear (and keep a signed contract) and keep sending notices before they charge the card on file and before they stop holding the comics.

Whether it's time payments or lay away on new comics, it's crazy when you think about it.

And that is likely because there is a high level of trust among customers, but if you're running a thin margin business it can be scary as soon as a few people don't pay up.

Not really loans, though.

Sorry, extended line of credit.

"Whether it's time payments or lay away on new comics, it's crazy when you think about it."

Charging the card on file is going to be a problem once it is disputed and the shop loses. All the customer has to do is say they cancelled a long time ago.

Many shops I see charge a fee for opening an account.

Time payments are a way of making a sale. And there is a chance someone defaults and you keep the money and the book.

Every furniture store I know is running zero % interest for 1-2 year sales and what not to get you to buy something. this is how my wife buys furniture. she will not get a new item until the prior one is fully paid off within the interest free period. you need to be disciplined though, because if it isn't paid off they usually charge you some insane rate once the deal expires.

Not sure how time payments/lay aways would work well for relatively inexpensive comics where the customer "buys" new product every week/month. The problem there is the customer buying too much stuff that he can't afford.

Maybe for a special order for something like a Sideshow Collectible figure or DC Absolute Editions or IDW Artist Editions, yeah, layaway is a totally workable solution and time payments can be spread over a few months. For a pull list with 50 items every month totaling $150-200, then those time payments need to be $30-50 per week or $60-100 biweekly/semi-monthly (I think a lot of people get their paychecks twice a month) or it's just gonna keep ballooning. Those installments are pretty much akin to paying when you get your weekly pull anyway so don't really see the benefit of layaway/time payments. Sales tactics like layaways work well for large one-time purchases (e.g. furniture, electronics, Christmas shopping). Not so much for a subscription service where the subscription is ongoing.

Agreed on CC company siding with the customer when it comes to chargebacks. Pull lists are more like a gentlemen's agreement rather than sales contract. Enforcement will be difficult. Probably more cost effective to just cancel the customer's pull list and sell the products to other customers rather than try to go to small claims court.

One issue for comic shops is they're walking a tightrope between keeping customers happy and keeping the lights on. Make requirements for pull lists too onerous and you run the risk of losing customers to another LCS, TFAW, Midtown or DCBS. If you're too lax, you run the risk of having tons of unsold product tying up your capital.

Edited by aerischan

They need to be on top of things. They can't let something sit for more than a month. My old LCS would call people requently, gently remind them,and offer to charge the CC and deliver the books if need be. No $ after a month and they're done.

They need to be on top of things. They can't let something sit for more than a month. My old LCS would call people requently, gently remind them,and offer to charge the CC and deliver the books if need be. No $ after a month and they're done.

I reckon that's a fair way to handle it. Definitely don't let pull lists pile up for month after month. One month is long enough for a customer to pick up and pay for their items. You can make an exception if the customer has contacted you and requested an extension due to a family emergency or something but make it like one strike or you're out to limit losses.

For obscure items that you don't normally carry and have to special order just for one or two customers, then perhaps require full prepayment or maybe 50% down payment by FOC or something. That should at least cover your costs if the customer leaves you holding the bag.

Pull list strategies for retailers:

1. Require a 3-5 book minimum but not much more than that.

2. Offer a 10% to 25% discount to subscribers and even more for large pull listers.

3. Never sell any Wednesday comics before

A. Cherry picking the best copies for your best subscribers

B. Allocating all comics to pull boxes.

4. Set a 1 month grace period with either

A. A late fee equal to 15% of the total due

B. No subscriber discount for all books in the box

C.email notification

D. Notification of subscription cancellation if no response received after 45 days

E. Sale of all pull box comic after 60 days

F. All of the above

5. Give all subscribers first crack at variants

6. Insert no obligation recommendations to subscribers.

7. Offer long term hold/storage with supplied credit card.

8. update your subscribers pull list for requests to add/cancel titles

9. If you mistakenly sell out or forget to include titles for your subscribers, go out and buy the best available copy from another local retailer or online retailer.

10. Sell magic cards and hold games to help bolster profits when subscribers go delinquent

Strategies for buyers

1. Set a budget and make sure you can meet your pull list obligations weekly

2. Call, email, or establish a trust with your LCS if you can't come in every week to pick up your books.

3. Communicate changes to your pull list both verbally and written via email.

4. Make sure you get your subscriber discount. If not, bring it to their attention and if they say no, look elsewhere.

5. If you are a condition freak ask for the mintyest copies but don't blame them if a whole order got damaged.

6. If they continue to add titles or recommendations after you've declined, hand them back with a note.

7. If they miss titles or sell out of a copy you were supposed to receive, request they reorder or purchase for you from another retailer the best available copy.

8. Request variants and negotiate for pricing on retailer incentives.

9. If cancelling a title anticipate up to 3 months in advance or expect to buy 3 issues beyond your cancel date.

10. Unless you are actually earning 2% or more cash back or 3x or more points for cc purchases at comic shops, pay in cash to help the retailer out and build good will.

Things that will make me search for another LCS or buy online:

1. Require a 3-5 book minimum but not much more than that.

A. A late fee equal to 15% of the total due

And things I think will cause the LCS undue hardship:

9. If you mistakenly sell out or forget to include titles for your subscribers, go out and buy the best available copy from another local retailer or online retailer.

I reckon subscribers would be quite understanding about missing an issue as long as the LCS doesn't make a habit of doing it. If the LCS finds it difficult to organize and keep track of pull lists, then use a service like Comixology's.

D. Notification of subscription cancellation if no response received after 45 days

E. Sale of all pull box comic after 60 days

Unless pull box items are prepaid, I don't think the retailer even needs to wait 60 days as long as subscribers are made aware of the one-month hold policy. I think automatic subscription cancellation following failure to pick up items by deadline should be included in the store's pull list/subscription policy. Contact the customer and at the most, give them a one week grace period/firm deadline to pick up their items or have them forfeited and their subscription cancelled. The LCS may consider extending deadlines on a case by case basis.

My experience here in my home town with the LCS is that they are all operated differently.

I LIKE when a LCS puts a related book or a tie in or something they think I might like into my file. I am under no obligation to purchase, but I like having the chance and more often than not I make the buy not only because I like the book but to support my LCS.

What I really hate is not getting the books on my pull list. It happens so often that I find I am always going to the LCS every new comic day in an effort to get what I want.

I stopped going to a LCS I had been a customer of for 20+ years because they couldn't do a good enough job of getting me my pull list. If I am ordering Thor, I expect to get all of them not 5 books of a 24 book run. ( yes that really happened! )

The last time I had a pull list was during the Captain America #25 craze. That book mysteriously did not make it into my box despite being on my list. And this was not the first hot book to not make it into my box. Once that happened, I closed my box and bought my books weekly off the stands for a short while until I started getting my books from DCBS. I've never looked back. And the LCS has since folded.

And things I think will cause the LCS undue hardship:

I reckon subscribers would be quite understanding about missing an issue as long as the LCS doesn't make a habit of doing it. If the LCS finds it difficult to organize and keep track of pull lists, then use a service like Comixology's.

Nope. If you forgot, own it and fix it.

When everyone's selling the same product at the same price, customer service is the main reason people choose one store over another. it's not a huge deal when that customer frequents all the other local stores anyway, but some people just want to come in one night after work, pick up their stuff, and go about their lives. Don't make them look around, or they might find a better deal or a more convenient location that they weren't looking for until you made them do it.

My experience here in my home town with the LCS is that they are all operated differently.

I LIKE when a LCS puts a related book or a tie in or something they think I might like into my file. I am under no obligation to purchase, but I like having the chance and more often than not I make the buy not only because I like the book but to support my LCS.

What I really hate is not getting the books on my pull list. It happens so often that I find I am always going to the LCS every new comic day in an effort to get what I want.

I stopped going to a LCS I had been a customer of for 20+ years because they couldn't do a good enough job of getting me my pull list. If I am ordering Thor, I expect to get all of them not 5 books of a 24 book run. ( yes that really happened! )

The last time I had a pull list was during the Captain America #25 craze. That book mysteriously did not make it into my box despite being on my list. And this was not the first hot book to not make it into my box. Once that happened, I closed my box and bought my books weekly off the stands for a short while until I started getting my books from DCBS. I've never looked back. And the LCS has since folded.

I am amazed at how often this happens. It should be so simple, but it is a recurring theme in stories of why people changed LCS.

Any shop owners or former shop owners here that can provide insight?

My local shops have forced me into getting my monthly moderns from dcbservice.com 40-50% off cover price and books shipped to me. If shops offered better incentives and discounts I'd buy local

Problem with that 40-50% discount is I don't know of any LCS that has the volume that DCBS and Midtown have to qualify for the same discounts. Also, since DCBS's online store is a preorder-only service and you prepay for your items (typically around the 15th of the month prior release), they don't carry the same risks of unsold product that a normal LCS does.

Maybe the LCS can offer a preorder service similar to DCBS and Midtown's so they can offer bigger discounts. The LCS makes a smaller profit per item but that profit is guaranteed and carries no risk as well as providing advance revenue to help with cash flow. That said, given rent, labor, etc, are fixed costs, they might need to make up for the lower margin with higher volume.

My LCS has a preorder program like this and they give all preorder customers 30% discount off DC/Marvel and 20% off on all other pubs. Discounts are regardless of order size so whether you preorder 1 comic or 50, you get the same discount.

My local shops have forced me into getting my monthly moderns from dcbservice.com 40-50% off cover price and books shipped to me. If shops offered better incentives and discounts I'd buy local

Problem with that 40-50% discount is I don't know of any LCS that has the volume that DCBS and Midtown have to qualify for the same discounts. Also, since DCBS's online store is a preorder-only service and you prepay for your items (typically around the 15th of the month prior release), they don't carry the same risks of unsold product that a normal LCS does.

Maybe the LCS can offer a preorder service similar to DCBS and Midtown's so they can offer bigger discounts. The LCS makes a smaller profit per item but that profit is guaranteed and carries no risk as well as providing advance revenue to help with cash flow. That said, given rent, labor, etc, are fixed costs, they might need to make up for the lower margin with higher volume.

My LCS has a preorder program like this and they give all preorder customers 30% discount off DC/Marvel and 20% off on all other pubs. Discounts are regardless of order size so whether you preorder 1 comic or 50, you get the same discount.

I've approached 3 different shops in my area, none can even offer what you describe. If they did I'd have to consider it closely.

Here's a solution... auto bill.

What shop owners should do is, by giving customers discounts and guaranteed rights to books that subsequently sell out, have an agreement that every Wednesday, the comics pulled are then automatically charged to that customer's credit card on file.

I've seen many friends who are somewhat ill-respectfully negligent customers, have books held for 3-6 months at a LCS, and brag about picking up books that are worth 10x the cover price and then proceed to grab their stacks as if the pull list was an option to buy, and put back comics they changed their mind on buying. To me, that's pretty lame customer behavior.

I think, charging the credit card motivates the customer to come pick their stuff up, since it's paid for. Also, as part of the system, the store should be obligated to try their best to get the top condition comics, yet of course not guarantee anything since it's out of their control what they receive. I know at times, some fans want to pick their own comics... well if they want, just drop by the store on the Wed the comics comes in and they're automatically billed and pick the conditions they want if what was pulled for them isn't to their standards.

It's not a negative option continuity, it's, to me perfectly straightforward. If a customer doesn't have a credit card, then they need to put down a cash reserve to draw against, it should be store policy, then they don't have to worry about delinquent customers and deadbeats.

The only problem is if the customer changes their mind or they suddenly decide to have a title removed from the pull list, the cost to the LCS to refund that book. It costs the LCS to charge a credit card and to refund a credit card. When most of your inventory generally sells for $3-$5 a piece, a .30-.60 charge really adds up.

What I think happens is a lot of people buy number 1`s than by the time issue 3 comes out they are bored with the title. Let`s face it number ones control the modern market today. It`s a lot different than when people would buy Uncanny X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man no matter what.

You could do a refundable cash deposit which is only charged in the event a book is held for a month. Then a month after that the book belongs to the store again.

And if any book is held for a month with no contact all future orders are cancelled

Of course all with s contract and email notices and phone calls

The LCS by me closed almost two years ago. The owner cited non-payers being one of the reasons for his decision to close his doors. Rent was probably the biggest factor. I frequented that store for several years and it was a great place to hang out and talk comics. I was sad when they closed but I was surprised they stayed open for as long as they did too. Not for lack of business either. Anyway, I posted the ex-employees podcast where he interviews several customers and the owner over the course of the year. It was an interesting listen as many had thoughts on how to avoid the non-payer pitfalls.